Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,170 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is going to be relocating to Columbia for work in early April. Any advise on towns, schools, etc. would be great. Also, we are looking to rent until we get a feel for things, can anyone recommend a realtor who could help us with our search? Anything else we should know about the area? Thanks for all advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
I would check Irmo, Chapin, and Lexington. Lex/Rich 5, is the best school district, and it's close to Lake Murray. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
I would check Irmo, Chapin, and Lexington. Lex/Rich 5, is the best school district, and it's close to Lake Murray. Good luck.
I agree. As long as her budget to rent is more than $1,000 a month that’s what I’d recommend to anyone.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,170 times
Yes, our budget is more than 1,000. How is the commute times from those areas to downtown? Also, what is an average electric and water bill for a family of 5? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM

316 posts, read 975,616 times
You may also want o consider the Northeast side of Columbia or Blythewood. My Son attends Lake Carolina Elementary and we have been very impressed. If you are close to the interstate the trip downtown is pretty quick, but traffic does get rough in the morning and evening.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Statistically the best in the state at that. According to report cards.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAL1 View Post
Hello!

My family is going to be relocating to Columbia for work in early April. Any advise on towns, schools, etc. would be great. Also, we are looking to rent until we get a feel for things, can anyone recommend a realtor who could help us with our search? Anything else we should know about the area? Thanks for all advise!
If you could be more specific in what you are looking for it would help a lot. I will say there is pretty much something for everyone in the Columbia area, and each area has is own feel. The area's geography also makes it very spread out. Keep in mind that school rating often reflect the populations that attend, and not the quality of instruction or program offerings overall. There are also private schools in the area where tuition ranges from $10,000- $17,000 for elementary and tops out around $20,000 a year for high school, both religious and secular.

A little piece of consideration with everyone recommending Rich/Lex5 area- The freeway and other roads that lead to downtown will be undergoing a $1.5 Billion dollar construction project that could last for up to 10 years. During that time commutes could be an hour or more depending on the location of your residence and the phase of the project.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
If you could be more specific in what you are looking for it would help a lot. I will say there is pretty much something for everyone in the Columbia area, and each area has is own feel. The area's geography also makes it very spread out. Keep in mind that school rating often reflect the populations that attend, and not the quality of instruction or program offerings overall. There are also private schools in the area where tuition ranges from $10,000- $17,000 for elementary and tops out around $20,000 a year for high school, both religious and secular.

A little piece of consideration with everyone recommending Rich/Lex5 area- The freeway and other roads that lead to downtown will be undergoing a $1.5 Billion dollar construction project that could last for up to 10 years. During that time commutes could be an hour or more depending on the location of your residence and the phase of the project.
True, but that is a year out. So they’ll get adjusted quick and then that commute won’t seem as bad. And every interstate in Columbia will be under construction at that point. 26/20/126 will be the biggest of them. But widening Columbia Avenue in Chapin and I-26 to three lanes to the Chapin Exit, Exit 92. I-77 being widened. I-20 being widened all the way to Lexington. Commutes are gonna be way longer than an hour.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
Just move to Lexington, great schools, low crime and taxes, and easy commutes to pretty much any part of town except the northeast.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 PM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
True, but that is a year out. So they’ll get adjusted quick and then that commute won’t seem as bad. And every interstate in Columbia will be under construction at that point. 26/20/126 will be the biggest of them. But widening Columbia Avenue in Chapin and I-26 to three lanes to the Chapin Exit, Exit 92. I-77 being widened. I-20 being widened all the way to Lexington. Commutes are gonna be way longer than an hour.
I just like to make people aware of such things because there are many people I have met for whom an hour commute each way, five days a week would be a deal breaker, especially in a metro a little under a million people. There is a lot more to consider when choosing a place to live than taxes or schools. Different people value different things and that's why I think its great that the Columbia area has so many different options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area