Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 9,802 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was reading about the humidity and I saw several posts of 'like minded' Californians who are looking to leave and find a place that is more in line with my thoughts and values and wanting to frankly get out of here. I am from the Los Angeles area. I really need a change. Having lived here all my life I am just wondering about the weather too, but I think it will be something that I can learn to live with. What do South Carolians think of Californians relocating? I think I would fit in much better there than I do here. I have horses and my family has many generations that have proudly served in the military. Thanks! r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I don't think South Carolinians think anything of Californians, specifically, relocating to SC since there aren't many California transplants in the state to begin with. Now if you were talking about the Northeast or the Midwest, it would be a different story.

With that being said, what is it that appeals to you about SC specifically? I gather that you're wanting to move to a smaller, more rural, more conservative area and you can find that in the interior of California and other Western states that are closer. So why make the move all the way across the country when, at first glance, it seems that you can get what you want in closer proximity to where you are now?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:28 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Make no mistake, the humidity will require getting used to. I’m a South Carolina native and I still find the humidity in the height of summer to be oppressive. The upshot of that is we generally don’t have wildfires (at least not compared to what California experiences) and the rest of the year is quite pleasant. We have just enough of a winter to qualify us as having four seasons.

You won’t find a strong undercurrent of anti-California transplant bias here like you would in Oregon, Colorado, or Arizona. Particularly when you tell people you moved here because you chose to, you’ll get a knowing look and nod.

The cost of living is dramatically lower here, but you’ll likely find the quality of public services to be lower. Where you choose to live here will make a big difference in how dramatic that difference is. Migration into South Carolina is strong and that’s because people from around the country find it to be a nice place to live. I suspect you’ll be no different.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think South Carolinians think anything of Californians, specifically, relocating to SC since there aren't many California transplants in the state to begin with. Now if you were talking about the Northeast or the Midwest, it would be a different story.

With that being said, what is it that appeals to you about SC specifically? I gather that you're wanting to move to a smaller, more rural, more conservative area and you can find that in the interior of California and other Western states that are closer. So why make the move all the way across the country when, at first glance, it seems that you can get what you want in closer proximity to where you are now?

Even if you move to the interior of California (or rural areas of Maryland, Virginia as we tried), you have to contend with the state-wide laws enacted by extremely leftist legislatures: business regulations, gun control, sanctuary cities, extremely high taxes etc.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 14,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Do tell...........

What should I be looking for?

Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Even if you move to the interior of California (or rural areas of Maryland, Virginia as we tried), you have to contend with the state-wide laws enacted by extremely leftist legislatures: business regulations, gun control, sanctuary cities, extremely high taxes etc.
If those were cited by the OP as issues he was looking to get away from, then I wouldn't have mentioned the interior of California. Even so, there are other Western states quite closer to California that have more moderate/conservative state legislatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonlake View Post
Do tell...........

What should I be looking for?
Most of the migrants to SC from outside of the South tend to be from the Northeast (NY) or Midwest (OH), so you might hear some people complain about people from those areas specifically. I suppose it would be no different than Californians migrating to Arizona or Nevada and natives of those states complaining that Californians are "taking over"...but you wouldn't hear that about folks moving there from, say, Kentucky or Maine.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM

1,154 posts, read 955,770 times
Them Californians are driving up our price of everything in this state they need to go to Charlotte instead

Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
I think you guys have missed answering the OPs questions. Humidity...well I like it cold so bound to say it’s unbearable, but it’s tolerable acne you’ve been here awhile. Most people I know are fine with transplants, no distaste for them as anyone should be able to move where they’d be happiest. If you were considering Columbia there are two great towns for houses near by being Aiken and Camden. Columbia has a large military presence with Fort Jackson in the metro so you’d be right at hone.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
One of my brothers lives in northeast Columbia and he said he knows a lot of Cali transplants, and the 'sandhills' geography kind of reminds them of California.

When I was in Columbia for a couple of years, I consulted an orthodontist who was from California. She said she did work for Katy Perry.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I think you guys have missed answering the OPs questions.
I'm aware of that but I was just wondering why move clear across the country when it seems he can get what he wants much closer to where he lives now. Just a bit of curiosity on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area