Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times

Advertisements

In a few weeks, I have a full-day trip planned to the SC State Library, located on the corner of Senate Street and Bull Street. The library does not offer visitor parking. Their website suggests either street parking meters or the USC Pendleton parking garage, with the latter appearing to offer only limited visitor spaces.

Any other suggestions for a day's parking reasonably close? Would prefer not to buy a card since it's probably a one-time trip, but also don't want to tote 10 pounds of quarters and be required to run back to the car to update a meter all day long. TIA for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Here is a list of city garages:

Arsenal Hill - 1812 Lincoln St.
Lady St. - 1100 Lady St.
Lincoln St. - 820 Washington St.
Park St. - 1007 Park St.
PJ Cannon - 1227 Taylor St.
Sumter St. - 1400 Sumter St.
Taylor St. - 1600 Assembly St.
Washington St. - 1100 Washington St.

Sumter Street looks to be about two blocks north of the library.

It looks like you can pay for parking online with a smartphone.

https://www.columbiasc.net/parking

Edit:
Quote:
All meters, including those in garages with the exception of the pay by spaces machines in Cannon, take the PassportParking App. Some spaces are designated for pay by cell only.
Looks like on street can be paid by the app as well.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It looks to me like the Sumter Street garage is closer to Richland County Library. I'm going to the State Library at Senate Street & Bull Street. It looks like there might be a parking garage at the Bank of America building on Gervais that's not too far away. Any idea if that parking is open to the public? Thanks.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 03-28-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM

746 posts, read 748,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Here is a list of city garages:

Arsenal Hill - 1812 Lincoln St.
Lady St. - 1100 Lady St.
Lincoln St. - 820 Washington St.
Park St. - 1007 Park St.
PJ Cannon - 1227 Taylor St.
Sumter St. - 1400 Sumter St.
Taylor St. - 1600 Assembly St.
Washington St. - 1100 Washington St.

Sumter Street looks to be about two blocks north of the library.

It looks like you can pay for parking online with a smartphone.

https://www.columbiasc.net/parking

Edit:

Looks like on street can be paid by the app as well.
The Pendleton street garage owned by USC has parking meters, but there is no attendant. Also, the Sumter Street garage is quite a walk (like half a mile) from the State Library, and normally full on weekdays. Your best bet is to try to find a parking meter near and just reefeed it (this too is difficult when class is in session as the new law school doesn't have its own lot either). I use the parking app and it works very well.

Another option is to park in a privately owned ramp. Your best bet would be one of the two ramps bound by Lady and Gervais and Marion and Sumter streets.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
... Another option is to park in a privately owned ramp. Your best bet would be one of the two ramps bound by Lady and Gervais and Marion and Sumter streets.
Thanks, Jordo. I'm thinking one of the private lots may be my best choice. A chunk of my time at the library will be in a class, so re-feeding meters would be an issue.

When I Google parking, the Bank of America building keeps popping up. Is that by any chance one of the privately owned lots open to the public? I assume the private lots have attendants, rather than meters?

I appreciate your help. Being unfamiliar with the area and traveling solo, I'm trying hard to avoid spending the morning circling downtown Columbia.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
The Pendleton street garage owned by USC has parking meters, but there is no attendant. Also, the Sumter Street garage is quite a walk (like half a mile) from the State Library, and normally full on weekdays. Your best bet is to try to find a parking meter near and just reefeed it (this too is difficult when class is in session as the new law school doesn't have its own lot either). I use the parking app and it works very well.

Another option is to park in a privately owned ramp. Your best bet would be one of the two ramps bound by Lady and Gervais and Marion and Sumter streets.
By Southern standards haha.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
By Southern standards haha.
#Truth! LoL

Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks, Jordo. I'm thinking one of the private lots may be my best choice. A chunk of my time at the library will be in a class, so re-feeding meters would be an issue.

When I Google parking, the Bank of America building keeps popping up. Is that by any chance one of the privately owned lots open to the public? I assume the private lots have attendants, rather than meters?

I appreciate your help. Being unfamiliar with the area and traveling solo, I'm trying hard to avoid spending the morning circling downtown Columbia.
The parking by Bank of America Building is at least a mile to the north.

This garage has an attendant: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0028...7i13312!8i6656

Old 03-29-2018, 09:59 AM

110 posts, read 140,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
In a few weeks, I have a full-day trip planned to the SC State Library, located on the corner of Senate Street and Bull Street. The library does not offer visitor parking. Their website suggests either street parking meters or the USC Pendleton parking garage, with the latter appearing to offer only limited visitor spaces.

Any other suggestions for a day's parking reasonably close? Would prefer not to buy a card since it's probably a one-time trip, but also don't want to tote 10 pounds of quarters and be required to run back to the car to update a meter all day long. TIA for your help.
There is a public, day parking lot on Senate St. in between Sumter and Marion. This is the closest public lot and is usually not full each day and would be about 1.5 block walk. There are also some 5 hour meters on Senate Street, where you would only have to feed the meter once if not using the app.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 PM

Thank y'all for your help. Sounds like several good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area