Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 29,374 times

Advertisements

I've accepted an internal transfer at the company of which I work for that has me moving down to Columbia at the beginning of May. Looking through rentals has been both exhausting and relatively scary based on the reviews I've been reading. I'm hoping to get some more insight as to where to navigate my search.

I don't plan on settling for a place without seeing it, so I'll be hanging out in a hotel my first week down in that area so that I can go ahead and find a suitable place. That's where this post comes in.

My job is over near the Jim Hamilton airport region and while I'd prefer a short commute, I understand I may be looking at around a half hour commute as a lot of what I've been finding rental wise is on the opposite side of Columbia up near St Andrews.

I'd prefer not breaking $800/mo when it comes to rent as I've gotten pretty comfortable paying $600/mo in which I only pay electric and internet.

Nightlife wise, I'm merely looking for some suggestions as to where a single almost thirty year old male without kids might find a decent and relaxing time where I can meet people (and single women) as I'm going to be new to the area. Not too crazy about the clubbing scene but I love a chill and relaxed atmosphere where I can snatch up a great Manhattan or Rob Roy and meet people.

Thanks for the advice in advance. I look forward to trading in Pennsylvania for South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 05:01 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
There is no reason why you can’t find a decent apartment near your desired area for $800. My son currently rents a 2 bedroom apartment on Brennen for $750. It’s clean, in a great neighborhood and an easy drive to anywhere inside the beltway. The area near your work is called Rosewood. Be careful as that area is also very popular with students from USC.

The social scene for your age group is The Vista. It’s close to downtown. Lots of restaurants and bars and young professionals every night.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 29,374 times
I completely agree, though narrowing places down that aren't completely trashed with reviews has been the problematic portion. I'm really if possible seeking actual recommendations of places in that area that I might be able to check out that are confirmed decent. Almost every place I look at recent reviews indicate problems with new management, bugs and overall dumps. Luckily I'm not too worried about college students though I have seen a lot of places that strictly rent to students only which is severely limiting my options.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
There is a new apartment building at the corner of Gervais and Harden St, Station at 5 Points that I would look at. Also one at Assembly and Whaley but not sure of the name.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lenga View Post
I've accepted an internal transfer at the company of which I work for that has me moving down to Columbia at the beginning of May. Looking through rentals has been both exhausting and relatively scary based on the reviews I've been reading. I'm hoping to get some more insight as to where to navigate my search.

I don't plan on settling for a place without seeing it, so I'll be hanging out in a hotel my first week down in that area so that I can go ahead and find a suitable place. That's where this post comes in.

My job is over near the Jim Hamilton airport region and while I'd prefer a short commute, I understand I may be looking at around a half hour commute as a lot of what I've been finding rental wise is on the opposite side of Columbia up near St Andrews.

I'd prefer not breaking $800/mo when it comes to rent as I've gotten pretty comfortable paying $600/mo in which I only pay electric and internet.

Nightlife wise, I'm merely looking for some suggestions as to where a single almost thirty year old male without kids might find a decent and relaxing time where I can meet people (and single women) as I'm going to be new to the area. Not too crazy about the clubbing scene but I love a chill and relaxed atmosphere where I can snatch up a great Manhattan or Rob Roy and meet people.

Thanks for the advice in advance. I look forward to trading in Pennsylvania for South Carolina.
The airport is located in the Rosewood neighborhood and you'll find plenty of rentals there in your price range, maybe even within walking distance to work. There will be mostly single family homes, duplexes and quadriplexes for rent in Rosewood, but not many complexes there. There are some restaurants, shopping and bars on Rosewood Drive and it isn't far from the Vista, Main Street District, Five Points and Devine Street. Welcome to Columbia. Check The State's and Free Times rental listings. Companies like the Hubbard Group, Furman Fulmer and the Wolfe Company have a lot of rentals.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:39 PM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There is a new apartment building at the corner of Gervais and Harden St, Station at 5 Points that I would look at. Also one at Assembly and Whaley but not sure of the name.
I am in my early thirties, and I would never live in student housing... You are also not going to be able to rent a place in a nice complex in town for less than $1,000. St. Andrews is not that great of an area, and there are lots of apartments doing updates to lure transplants with low prices, but horrible management. I'd look for a 4 plex or duplex situation in-town around rosewood.

Are you working near the airport, or are you working near Shop Road. On a map, the airport looks like it is near shop road, but there is actually train tracks and undeveloped land in between, so they end up being distinct areas. The shop road side is considered the Williams Brice stadium area/shop road and the area where the downtown airport (which is not a commercial airport) is located in Rosewood, which is a neat area that has a funky vibe.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Also, Welcome to Columbia! We are happy to have you.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lenga View Post

If you are by the downtown airport, will you be on the rosewood side or the shop road side. Those are two different areas really, even though they look connected on a map.

As far as apartment prices, you are going to have a hard time finding a "traditional" apartment under $800 outside of the St. Andrews area. Most of the places in the St. Andrews area are going to be older complexes that have been renovated just enough to look nice. It is not the fanciest neighborhood, but not the worst either.

As others have suggested, I would look for an apartment in a duplex or 4 plex type situation, if you want to live in-town. If you want to live in the most desirable parts of Columbia in an apartment community with a pool and fitness and clubhouse type place, you are looking at starting around $1,100 for a studio. I suggest going on Zillow, finding a few places you think might work for you, and then posting those here for the opinions from those of us who have lived here for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: