Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times

Advertisements

The main reason the parking is needed is that the Palmetto Center doesn't have enough dedicated parking for both the Marriott and the office building. It is one of the reasons that SCANA cited for their upcoming move to build a suburban office complex. Since the Palmetto Center is trying to attract a new major tenant, the additional parking on Sumter Street will be a major selling point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The main reason the parking is needed is that the Palmetto Center doesn't have enough dedicated parking for both the Marriott and the office building. It is one of the reasons that SCANA cited for their upcoming move to build a suburban office complex. Since the Palmetto Center is trying to attract a new major tenant, the additional parking on Sumter Street will be a major selling point.
OK I can see that..being an issue.. and the proposed garage on Sumter and the new one in the Vista should eat away at it. Again, I am assuming that the vista was included in this "shortage". If it was not, then that may mean the city needs 1800 plus which is approaching outrageous. Not only because I would question how these figures were calculated but how did this shortage occur.. It seems unlikely to have happened over night? It likely occurred over a period of time. You wonder if some agency or dept. within the city should been/was monitoring this situation so that the City would not have been blindsided by something as large as SCANA saying.. we're outta here because there isnt enough parking...

Was SCANA offered any type of 'incentives' to go over to Cayce?? Seems surprising that they would just wake and decide to go to Cayce...Either they wanted out or they were encouraged to move with incentives and other perks. Oh well.. I guess all is fair game in love and war in the economic development world...congrats to KC and Lexington Cty

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 AM

121 posts, read 404,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Over the years it appears that there has been a growing number of rehabs in Windermere Springs..which is generally defined as the area between Columbia College Drive and Hyatt Park Elementary the CSX Tracks and North Main Street. I was on the City's web site recently and there is a proposal for a mixed use development on the corner of Columbia College Drive and North Main (proposed by the Eau Claire Development Corp-who developed a similar project across from Hyatt Park) that would involve some apartments and groundfloor retail. The CVS across the street was added, I'm guessing a decade ago and an ugly car garage next to the convenience store on that corner was demolished. Additionally, Columbia College has a new athletic complex tucked away in Cabb Island- the area behind the former garage in addition to a recent subdivision (Eau Claire Place-?) off of Columbia College Drive near Farrow-just beyond the CSX Tracks. There are also several "laurel hill" type homes just off of Colonial Drive near the side entrance to the college .The North Main Street streetscape (I believe) also goes up atleast to the Fairfield Rd branch off and Master Plan was adopted by the City that outlines future goals/improvements. The area is also ajacent to Seminary Ridge and Hyatt Park neighborhoods which seem to be coming into their own.
That area is still not considered safe with lots of drug traffic and the schools are NOT good in that area. I would be afraid to live here.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFriend View Post
That area is still not considered safe with lots of drug traffic and the schools are NOT good in that area. I would be afraid to live here.
It isn't that bad. I live in the next neighborhood to the south - Keenan Terrace - and it's very nice. I know people that live in Hyatt Park and love it. You are right about the schools we're zoned for, though, they aren't the best.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
Quote:
You wonder if some agency or dept. within the city should been/was monitoring this situation so that the City would not have been blindsided by something as large as SCANA saying.. we're outta here because there isnt enough parking...
My gut feeling is the move was less about parking and more about property taxes. Scana will save a fortune over the years by moving a few miles across the river.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
My gut feeling is the move was less about parking and more about property taxes. Scana will save a fortune over the years by moving a few miles across the river.
Property Taxes in the city are not that much higher than in Cayce or unincorporated areas. The city portion of my car and real property taxes is a very small percentage. Also, Scana didn't own the building they were in.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Property Taxes in the city are not that much higher than in Cayce or unincorporated areas. The city portion of my car and real property taxes is a very small percentage.
I cannot factually comment on city property taxes in Columbia. I can just say that they are about 50% higher than the property tax rate in Charleston (according to John Temple Ligon). I do understand that Cayce offered a tax break for Scana to move and the city refused to meet the offer. Wave goodbye to that tax base Mayor Coble. I wonder what the effect of those hundreds of people will have on the sales tax paid to Lexington county merchants?

Quote:
Also, Scana didn't own the building they were in.
You do understand that landlords don't pay property taxes don't you? They simple collect them from their tenants and pass them along to the government.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I cannot factually comment on city property taxes in Columbia. I can just say that they are about 50% higher than the property tax rate in Charleston (according to John Temple Ligon). I do understand that Cayce offered a tax break for Scana to move and the city refused to meet the offer. Wave goodbye to that tax base Mayor Coble. I wonder what the effect of those hundreds of people will have on the sales tax paid to Lexington county merchants?

You do understand that landlords don't pay property taxes don't you? They simple collect them from their tenants and pass them along to the government.
I understand that, but it is paid indirectly. Also, the city had a hand in the original development of the Palmetto Center so I don't know what effect that has on the tax rate.

John Temple Ligon is a joke; I wouldn't believe anything he has to say. As far as sales tax paid to Lexington County merchants - there is nowhere worth going to near the new Scana property so where are they going to spend their money?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Ligon may exaggerate here and there but it was interesting when he made that statement. My sister in law is looking at buying a home in Charleston and commented how the property taxes were so much cheaper than in Columbia (she lives close to 5 points). Maybe their tourist base brings in enough revenue that they can give the homeowners a break?

Have you ever heard the line "Build it and they will come"?

I imagine a fair amount of new retail will come to that mostly empty corridor once the workers move. That and the existing Cayce/West Columbia merchants will get the dining/dry cleaning/etc. business that downtown merchants now enjoy. I imagine that would mean a heavier tax burden for everyone left behind.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Cayce had been pushing to develop the 12th Street corridor since an interchange was added to I-77 beltway. I am sure that some new businesses will move down there to be close to SCANA and take advantage of the additional traffic that it creates. I wonder if access to 77 was a factor since it may be easier to get on and off at 12th Street than to manuver 126 to downtown???

Hopefully the Palmetto Center will attract another/other downtown office tenants since it is in an ideal location. I wonder if the City is going to build a skywalk from the new garage to the Palmetto Center garage? I remember Charlotte had a network of skywalks that would carry people from one building or parking garage to another (it may still be intact.. not sure). ..I think most cities, with the exception of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, are getting away from skywalks since it impacts your street level pedestrian traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area