Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

28 posts, read 187,203 times

Advertisements

Im from Tampa, Fl and im thinking about going to USC in 2009 but i have my reservations about going to Columbia bc its soo small. Does Columbia have a mall? Museums? Aquarium? Amusement Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,636 times
I'm currently a Gamecock originally from a big city as well (Baltimore, MD). If anything, Columbia's "big city" amenities are MORE accessible because the city is smaller. I'm assuming you will live on campus...Richland Mall about 5 min does not have very much along the lines of stores, but has a really cheap movie theater. Most students go to Columbiana Place Mall, which is about a 10 min drive from campus on the interstate. Two movie theaters here, all of your big name stores, and the Harbison Blvd area (we just call the whole place Harbison) has a ton of great restaurants. Columbia's nightlife is great do to a nice mix of College students and young professionals. Two major areas (5 points which is the more college themed area, and The Vista which has more upscale clubs and bars) make up an awesome area to visit within walking distance of campus. The state museum, Columbia museum of art, and EdVenture (children's museum) all have free/discount days for students. The State House gives free tours as do most other historical sights ( like the governors mansion). No aquarium (closest is in Charleston about 1.5 hours-2 hours), but there is a nice Zoo and Botanical Garden. Closest amusement park is Carowinds which is about an hour drive up I-77. As for things to do in Columbia & USC, the list could go on and on. USC alone brings big name acts to campus such as Ben Folds, Kanye West, & Gym Class Heroes. We have three large venues (Colonial Center, Coliseum, and Columbia Convention Center) as well as many others on campus. I really look at Columbia as the best of both worlds since you are still a short drive from the "country" and all of the outdoor activities that come with it. Carolina has been an awesome experience and I am continuing my graduate studies here. You will not be disappointed.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 14,636 times
Almost forgot, the brand new Village at Sandhill is an even bigger shopping area. Unlike anything I have ever seen. If you can think it, they have it. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from campus. Suburban Paradise

Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I can't add much to what Southern Tide had to say. As far as Columbia being small, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you come to visit. Columbia's metro population is well over 700,000, but in South Carolina we have restrictive annexation laws, which mean individual cities' populations will be small compared to metro population figures. There isn't a large aquarium here, but there is a nice small aquarium at Riverbanks Zoo. In between times that you can get up to Carowinds, there is a Frankie's Fun Park in town. Carowinds isn't a bad drive, though, it is all interstate, about an hour away on I-77.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM

31 posts, read 130,660 times
This will be good news for my daughter. An hour for a theme park is hardly any time in the car, really. I regularly drive an hour to go to less fun places in Houston.

Everything seems so close and accessible - I love the idea of being so close to everything. The more I read, the more I think Columbia really has a lot more to offer than most people realize. Plus, it's a beautiful area.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM

28 posts, read 187,203 times
THanks for all the replies! I might not live on campus, is the surrounding area by USC nice?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times
Whaaaaa? A mall in Columbia Whaaaaa? LOL

Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzfloridagurl View Post
THanks for all the replies! I might not live on campus, is the surrounding area by USC nice?
There are many nice areas around the University - University Hill, Five Points, Wheeler Hill, Wales Garden, Shandon, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
"Soooo small", eh? Columbia isn't gigantic, but last I checked it was on (just barely, but still on) the list of the top 100 MSAs, population-wise. It's also the state capital and the home of quite a few universities. It's got plenty of amenities.

It begs the question: You have visited USC, right?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 AM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
I'd like to add to that their are still stores at Columbia Mall also....lol...it's not like that mall is on it's last leg like Richland Mall is. Also check out the nice local shops in 5 points and on Devine St...during your time at USC the "Shoppes of Lady St" downtown should begin to come together also.

Also keep in mind that while you are in Columbia...you will be central to access a lot of areas easily with the interstates. If you miss the coast to much...the drive to Myrtle Beach [2hrs 15min], Hilton Head [2hrs] and Charleston [1hr 20min] and if you want more shopping....Charlotte is about 80min up I-77. The upstate area of SC are the foothills of the mountains is an 90min drive up I-26....

Contrary to popular belief...they're buildings, paved streets and etc in Columbia and even SC for that matter.

Various parks like Finley, Riverfront, Granby, Maxcy-Greg, Sesqui, Dreher Island, and etc are in the area and we have a wonderful lake "Lake Murray" within a 30min drive away. You can find some nice Asian, Mexican and etc grocery shops on Decker Blvd...the campus of USC is growing...as is the city of Columbia with less traffic as the Tampa area.

And if push come to show....Atlanta is only about 3hr 15min away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area