Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 AM

46 posts, read 72,323 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I moved down here about a year ago from Greenville (hence my rather out of place user name) to take a job in the environmental science field. It's going well and I figure that I'll try and make a go of it here in the Midlands. Being a middle-aged, pseudo-confirmed bachelor, and the type who likes to take things slow and easy in general, I'd really like to live some place quiet and close to where I work (north end of Bull St). And very importantly, some place where the commute doesn't feel like a Mad Max reenactment when I drive to and from the office.

Irmo is right out. The whole I-20/I-26/I-126 thing is nothing short of terrifying (there is great stuff up there, I just don't want to deal with the commute). I live on the northeast side of town right now (renting) and the traffic here also is rather grievous at times. I love hiking at Sesqui, but that just isn't enough to make the it worth living in one of the clusters of sub-divisions up this way.

Making a long story short, I've decided that the West Columbia/Cayce area, east of I-26, is probably best suited to my temperament. And I would love a home with a smaller footprint... something in the 1500-2000 sq/ft range, but at or under 200 grand.

But from a long term perspective, I wonder how this community will develop? Home prices in "The Avenues" have really jumped the past few years. Clearly that means the area is becoming more desirable. But lets say 10 years hence, will it remain so? I'm just looking for some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:53 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
I think you’ll continue to see price appreciation in Cayce over the next decade,
By then State Street will be completely transformed nckidung the currently moribund stretch near Henry’s where new developments are stating to perculate

Old 06-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanks, King. I really appreciate it. I was down along that stretch of road just today. I pressed my nose to the front window of the soon-to-be Piecewise Coffee Co. They are coming along. I think the same folks are opening a restaurant right in that area, too. I must have read about that on here someplace.

There are definitely some good candidates for street-front businesses down that way. Man, that would be cool. Some really nice houses, too. But since every home in the Ave's has it's own personality, it makes it a little hard to pull the trigger as you don't know what will come on the market next. Yeah, my realtor is going to looooove me.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 AM

611 posts, read 921,124 times
No-brainer. Consider Earlewood/Elmwood Park/Cottontown.

Spill-over development from Main St. and Bull Street is only going to push property values higher over the next decade.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 AM

160 posts, read 141,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
No-brainer. Consider Earlewood/Elmwood Park/Cottontown.

Spill-over development from Main St. and Bull Street is only going to push property values higher over the next decade.
Agree. Especially the Eerlewood Gardens section (Makeway, Westbury, Keenan, etc). It's an urban forest which should appeal to someone in environmental science. Unlike the street grid pattern nearby, the roads curve following the topography which is mainly hilly. I also think there were quarries many decades ago. Very quiet neighborhood.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:42 PM

746 posts, read 748,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
Agree. Especially the Eerlewood Gardens section (Makeway, Westbury, Keenan, etc). It's an urban forest which should appeal to someone in environmental science. Unlike the street grid pattern nearby, the roads curve following the topography which is mainly hilly. I also think there were quarries many decades ago. Very quiet neighborhood.
I agree that you probably should consider Earlewood and that area. Trying to get from West Columbia to north Bull Street is going to be frustrating. Trekking through downtown during rush hour with all the stop lights and traffic can be crazy. You might also consider Druid Hills, or if you could expand your budget a bit, Melrose Heights or even Forest Acres.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:11 PM

935 posts, read 1,649,412 times
Seems like it would also be the perfect example to use the bus to work as much as public trans is pushed around here.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Very good suggestions. It's funny. I lived in a "cookie cutter" house and subdivision up in Greenville. I guess that had caused me to consider these older communities to look a little ratty when I was initially looking (even to rent). But now, I love them. Earlewood, Elmwood Park and Cottontown look great. Double plus for the forested areas. My realtor seems understanding of my desires (and the fact that it could take a while) so I think I will make this an area of focus. It is true that I don't even like to go downtown for a beer after work with "the guys" owing to the traffic. Yeah, this makes more sense.

Speaking of Bull Street, I like to walk around periphery of the development during my lunch break. It's more for the awesome old insane asylum, but it's been interesting to watch the development of the project. It's nice to see that they have finally raised the first townhomes. And they really have been doing a lot of work installing the underground sewer and electrical, er, "stuff". So maybe there is something to that. They are grading the retirement community and they have actually dug up Gregg Street in front of it. So things are happening.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreen(ville)
Speaking of Bull Street, I like to walk around periphery of the development during my lunch break. It's more for the awesome old insane asylum, but it's been interesting to watch the development of the project. It's nice to see that they have finally raised the first townhomes. And they really have been doing a lot of work installing the underground sewer and electrical, er, "stuff". So maybe there is something to that. They are grading the retirement community and they have actually dug up Gregg Street in front of it. So things are happening.
It would be nice if they could just level all of the buildings they are not planning to save and renovate now, instead of waiting.

I know the master plans have changed and will probably continue to change as they build out the site, but it would be nice to see more companies move to the location. Not sure how much of the retail aspect they are going to get rid of, since "brick and mortar" retail in 2018 is not the greatest thing going nowadays.

I know most are not a fan of USC's medical school moving to the site by 2030 when their lease ($1/year) expires with the VA and goes to market value, since USC is a non-profit and would pay no taxes. I think if they can get some biotech buildings on the site, that would be great.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
There is some sage advice on here in terms of recommendations. Hands down.. I would pick some of the communities along North Main that were referenced here.. I would add to them the likes of Keenan Terrace and Seminary Ridge. Other areas to consider that may be "up and coming" would be College Place near Columbia College or certain established areas around Dutch Square, just across the river, like Elm Abode
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area