Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to SC in October of this year w/ my bf and children ages 6 & 8 from Maine. We visited the Columbia area a few weeks ago and really liked it. We are hoping for more of a small town atmosphere and I have researched the Irmo area. I was impressed with the River Springs Elementary school. I am open to suggestions of other areas that are fairly small and outside of the Columbia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysun11 View Post
I am planning to relocate to SC in October of this year w/ my bf and children ages 6 & 8 from Maine. We visited the Columbia area a few weeks ago and really liked it. We are hoping for more of a small town atmosphere and I have researched the Irmo area. I was impressed with the River Springs Elementary school. I am open to suggestions of other areas that are fairly small and outside of the Columbia area.
Lexington, Chapin, and Blythewood are all small-townish communities that are essentially Columbia suburbs. They're all relatively wealthy and have good schools. Lexington and Chapin have great proximity to Lake Murray, but traffic is an issue (relatively speaking, by Columbia standards). Blythewood has recently entered a new phase of growth, and although it does not have proximity to Lake Murray, it is situated near rolling hills and pretty countryside. It is also a thirty minute or so drive to Lake Wateree.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 AM

199 posts, read 257,734 times
The areas mentioned by SCxpBrussel are probably the most desirable areas for families to live at in the Columbia area. I don't really know much about the schools here since I don't have kids. The only advice I can provide is make sure whatever y'all do in Maine for work you can do here. There are jobs available here but like anywhere it is competitive. I've never been to Maine so I can't really compare and contrast the area for you although I'm sure it is warmer here than it is up there. Best of luck to y'all.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I work in Maine as a medical secretary and am hoping to apply to Lexington Medical or Palmetto Health. My only dilemma is that it is difficult to apply for jobs now without being down there. I am still applying and will be willing to move sooner than October. Yes, definitely much warmer in SC, the winters in Maine are beyond miserable and last way too long! I also noticed that most schools provide "after care" for working parents. Is that the norm there or are daycares used for school aged children?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:54 AM

10 posts, read 18,553 times
I live in Lexington. Lexington is a great place to live, especially for kids. It has a small town feel and lots of places to go around here. The lake is nearby and the school are really good. I work in downtown Columbia and the commute is around 30 minutes for 20 miles. Much shorter to Lexington Medical. I think the information SCxpBrussel mentioned is what I've seen.

I've been using greatschools.org and schooldigger.com to research schools.

I don't want to push anything on you but I will be moving and am looking to sell my house. Let me know if you are interested.

Good luck finding a position and the move!

Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Thanks so much for the info lokeshpatel! I am actually looking to rent a house or apartment. I would definitely be open to a rent to own option, as long as it is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths! I checked out greatschools.org and it is a fantastic site.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 AM

127 posts, read 138,859 times
Chapin and Ballentine feel a bit less cramped than Lexington. I've always preferred Ballentine and Chapin over Lexington.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:11 PM

12 posts, read 12,166 times
Hello Jaysun11, Me and my boyfriend are looking to move to the Greenville area spring of 2019. I'm currently working as a medical secretary in Connecticut. In your job search what have you been seeing for a base pay? I'm just wondering because i make decent pay here in CT and i hear that of our job title that they don't pay so well in SC. Any info you have would be fantastic! Good luck on the move and job search!

Courtney

Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Try unincorporated Columbia. That is, the Irmo Drive meets North Lake Drive area. Zip Code 29212. It’s a great bang for your buck location and close to Ballentine and Irmo. Also the closest of everything mentioned this for to the lake, and close to Saluda Shoals Park.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2913 View Post
Hello Jaysun11, Me and my boyfriend are looking to move to the Greenville area spring of 2019. I'm currently working as a medical secretary in Connecticut. In your job search what have you been seeing for a base pay? I'm just wondering because i make decent pay here in CT and i hear that of our job title that they don't pay so well in SC. Any info you have would be fantastic! Good luck on the move and job search!

Courtney
You'll find the cost of living is lower in SC, but salaries are also much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area