Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:09 PM

13 posts, read 13,698 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to NE Columbia (Lake Carolina) almost a year ago. We chose this area because it is only 20 minutes from my husband’s workplace and the schools were suppose to be some of the best in the Richland Two school district. We have a child in elementary school, one in middle school, and one in high school. NE Columbia doesn’t seem like a good fit for us, as we like outdoor activities (fishing, kayaking, hiking) and are not pleased with the schools. We think Chapin, Irmo, or Lexington might be a better fit for us. I hate the idea of my husband having to deal with the commute from the other side of town to the NE, but we’re thinking we might be happier in the long run. Has anyone recently moved from NE Columbia to Chapin, Irmo, or Lexington or vice versa? Is there a cultural difference and is there a noticeable difference in the schools? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannk72 View Post
My family and I moved to NE Columbia (Lake Carolina) almost a year ago. We chose this area because it is only 20 minutes from my husband’s workplace and the schools were suppose to be some of the best in the Richland Two school district. We have a child in elementary school, one in middle school, and one in high school. NE Columbia doesn’t seem like a good fit for us, as we like outdoor activities (fishing, kayaking, hiking) and are not pleased with the schools. We think Chapin, Irmo, or Lexington might be a better fit for us. I hate the idea of my husband having to deal with the commute from the other side of town to the NE, but we’re thinking we might be happier in the long run. Has anyone recently moved from NE Columbia to Chapin, Irmo, or Lexington or vice versa? Is there a cultural difference and is there a noticeable difference in the schools? Any advice would be appreciated.
Schools in Irmo and Chapin have been ranked best in the state. Even better than schools in Lexington, although not noticeably a lot. So it’ll probably be a very noticeable difference. You’ve also got Lake Murray, Dreher Island State Park, Saluda Shoals, Harbison State Forest, Three Rivers Greenway, the Broad/Saluda/Congaree Rivers and downtown parks. Plus access to IMO better shopping at Harbison than at Sandhill. But again, the downside is far worse traffic and a possible 45+ minute commute. I recall a fishing world tournament on Lake Murray last year. I’d start with Irmo since it’s central to most things on the list. Culturally, you’ll notice more social mixing on this side. And maybe not as many lower income areas. And it’s much more dense feeling. Keep in mind too in regards to commute that Malfunction Junction is about to get reworked and I-26 widened past Chapin. Either way, good luck!

Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 AM

229 posts, read 395,354 times
That’s a big expense to do a lateral move plus taxes if not > 2 years I believe. Besides lake Carolina elementary schools being highly rated there’s a lot of outdoor activities in lake Carolina itself.

Irmo etc has more outdoor stuff but is also a 30 min drive.

I understand if it’s all about schools though but I also see it as South Carolina is ranked 48th in the country as far as schooling, with a kid of my own it is concerning.

Btw I live in Blythewood.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
My neighbor works at the Village of Sandhills and says it takes him 20-25 minutes to commute each way. He leaves home around 7:45 and gets off at 4:30. Getting to I-20 is the key.

Get in the River Bluff school district, Midway elementary is phenomenal. Lexington Middle or Meadow Glen are a toss up, both are great, and River Bluff is something all in itself. You will find a lot of parental involvement will be expected and expectations for student behavior are high.

You can Kayak on the lake or the river with easy access to either and there are plenty of more outdoor activities. And you will run into a lot of people that have been here for generations along with a good mix of new comers. People are extremely welcoming and are anxious to help new residents find their way around.

I can't say that Lexington is any better than NE Columbia, I've never lived there but we did come close. Ultimately we chose Lexington because we just kept meeting people from there who couldn't stop talking about how family friendly the area was. And they weren't lying, we have had a ball.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Do people still go to Sequi State Park? To me that is probably one of the more attractive reasons for an outdoors person to live in the NE.. Otherwise NW has NE beat hands sown when it comes to access to nature and natural amenities with Lake Murray etc.. not to mention you are closer to the mountains by heading up I 26

Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
I wouldn't live anywhere else in the Columbia suburbs, then the NW. Mainly the Chapin, Irmo area. The lake, the rivers, the schools, and the trees. The soil is even better, because it's clay, not sand, less sand gnats, and scrubby trees. I live in Irmo, but would probably pick Chapin if that was an option. The commute is not great, but not the end of the world either. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:19 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere else in the Columbia suburbs, then the NW. Mainly the Chapin, Irmo area. The lake, the rivers, the schools, and the trees. The soil is even better, because it's clay, not sand, less sand gnats, and scrubby trees. I live in Irmo, but would probably pick Chapin if that was an option. The commute is not great, but not the end of the world either. Good luck.

Agree 100%

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM

94 posts, read 95,690 times
@Rockinmoz May I ask...what is it about Chapin that I oh like more than Irmo? I'm looking to retire there but go back and forth over the two. Irmo seems greener, more trees, Chapin seems (to me) to be more treeless subdivisions. But I love both areas. Will be out again in a couple of months so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 PM

44 posts, read 66,226 times
Richland 2 is a phenomenal district with the only true choice program in the Midlands. We have 10 nationally certified magnet programs — we’re currently the only district statewide with ANY certified programs. The Lake Carolina zone prepares kids to get into the best middle and high school options since it has always been one of the best elementary schools in the state, especially when considering its diversity. But if you’re not happy with it, why not apply to Center for Knowledge or any of the other options? My daughter attended LC Upper and is getting ready to start 6th grade at The Learning Collaborative — I’ve looked at every middle school option around and nothing comes close to TLC. We just had three kids from Dent/TLC place in the top five statewide for Mathcounts. Spring Valley (Discovery Magnet) just won the 2018 State Championship of Academics and for the 29th time the Richland Northeast High School (IB Magnet) Model UN Team won the Award of Distinction (first place overall) at the National High School Model United Nations conference. Plus we have all of the supplemental programs like Next Energy Engineering at R2i2 — no other Midlands district has anything close to our Institute of Innovation at Sandhills. We just have so many great options no matter your attendance zone at every grade level.

Have you looked into all of the resources available at the district?

If you’re into kayaking the best thing to do is get involved with our local and state conservation groups and kayak the actual scenic rivers not Lake Murray.

Have you ever driven from downtown or any other area to Chapin in the afternoon/evening commute?

Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 AM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Agree. Being above the fall line gives a natural terrain more like the upstate, with rolling hills and hardwood trees; which also make the high temperature several degrees cooler than other parts of Columbia.

Unfortunately, the secret is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area