Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM

25 posts, read 80,620 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Dallas to Columbia in 2009 to start my Masters program at USC. I am not familiar with Columbia, but have been to Charleston many years ago. I love Charleston beaches. I have been looking at apartments on rent.com and apartments.com and such. I feel the best way to get info is from people who actually reside there. I need help in finding the perfect little spot for a 33 yr old single women with no children. I do not mind a 20-30 min commute to USC if it means having an apartment by a lake. I really would love to live by a lake so I could ride my bike around, jog through, or go for a hike. I love the outdoors. I also like to be entertained with restaurants, shopping, and the occasional wine with good friends, so interstate convenience is always a plus. I heard Richland County is the place to be. I would like the NE because I could be in Charleston sooner for a weekend get-a-way. Parks and lakes and shopping are my thing. Any suggestions on great apartments or locations over there that sound like I would enjoy? Any suggestions would be of great help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Yacht Cove. Condos on Lake Murray normally rented through private owners.

Lakeshore may also be of interest in the Forest Acres area, much closer in.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Cbaker, what about an apartment by the river with trails along the riverfront park? That would put you at campus' doorstep and you'd avoid a lengthy commute. Also, what type of rent range did you have in mind?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 AM

My rent range I would like to keep between $600-800. I am not sure how much money I will be making there yet, so that remains to be seen. I am a massage therapist and will be looking for spas to work at while I go to school. Isn't the Riverfront west of USC? Might not be too bad to look into if you have a great spot in mind. I like upscale communities too. I was also looking at Forest Acres and Sesquicentennial Park. Thoughts on those? Too far? Are they good communities?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM

There are some nice communities on both banks of the Congaree River and Vista Commons is only a few blocks from the river and also only a few blocks from the west end of campus. It would be walkable depending on where your classes would be. I seriously doubt you will find an apartment/condo rental on Lake Murray for $600-$800 a month, but there are some complexes on the river you could find for that. Forest Acres is a nice area, but there are no apartment complexes on any of the lakes, though there are some close by. The lakes in Forest Acres would not be accessible, though. Sesquicentennial is a State Park and not actually a neighborhood. There are walking trails around the lake there, however. I would suggest checking out The Rapids Apartments and I will check on the name of the apartments on the west side of the river, too. I think you would like the Three Rivers Greenway, which has trails along all of the rivers.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 AM

221 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Rivergate and Hamilton Mill are both "on the river". I suppose Rivergate has more actual Riverfront Property, but they're both right where Broad River Rd crosses the Broad River. The Riverwalk park starts (or ends) on the otherside of the river. You can walk or drive to the Riverwalk Park and have 3 miles or so of walking trails. Most of the path is fairly wide and paved with asphalt, but there are few more rustic trails with a minimum of concrete paving the way. You could ride your bike from Rivergate down the Riverwalk Park to the main park entrance near Huger and Gervais, and ride from there to the USC campus. Rivergate and Hamilton Mill would both have single and 2 BR places for less than $800 (assuming you sign a year lease).

If you like the outdoors, make sure to check out the state parks in the Upstate of SC and Western NC. Table Rock and Ceasar's Head are two of the nicer places to hike, boat, etc in SC. Brevard, NC is on the edge of Pisgah National Forrest, with several waterfalls (Looking Glass is the big fall here, roughly 150' high), and hiking trails (Looking Glass Mountain). All of these mountains are the Blue Ridge, very similar to the famed Smokey's along the NC/TN border. Table Rock would be about 2 hours from Columbia. Brevard would probably be 3.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks so much. I think you are right about staying close to USC, at least until I get to know the city better. Hamilton Mill is definitely out, I read the scary reviews. If someone stole my car I would flip and if I woke to bugs on my wall I would scare the neighbors with my screams. lol Scary thought. Otherwise, the other choices may be worth looking into. I am really liking the Three Rivers Greenway thought. I am a woman who loves options and staying fit. As long as it is also safe, I am happy. If anyone knows any great day spas/hotel spas worth looking into..that would be great. That is my industry after all. You guys are a great help.
Brandon, yacht cove may be a spot for me after I get my PH.D but I like the sound of it. Sounds a bit pricey for me yet...any other thoughts?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakerlmt View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks so much. I think you are right about staying close to USC, at least until I get to know the city better. Hamilton Mill is definitely out, I read the scary reviews. If someone stole my car I would flip and if I woke to bugs on my wall I would scare the neighbors with my screams. lol Scary thought. Otherwise, the other choices may be worth looking into. I am really liking the Three Rivers Greenway thought. I am a woman who loves options and staying fit. As long as it is also safe, I am happy. If anyone knows any great day spas/hotel spas worth looking into..that would be great. That is my industry after all. You guys are a great help.
Brandon, yacht cove may be a spot for me after I get my PH.D but I like the sound of it. Sounds a bit pricey for me yet...any other thoughts?
The greenway is awesome and safe as far as I've heard, but I don't think it would be a good idea to go out there at night by yourself as there are parts that are pretty isolated along the river.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM

221 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The greenway is awesome and safe as far as I've heard, but I don't think it would be a good idea to go out there at night by yourself as there are parts that are pretty isolated along the river.
I agree. The riverwalk is very isolated at night. They have emergency phones, plenty of street lights and I see park rangers up and down until about 8pm, but I'm a grown man and I wouldn't choose to walk the length of the path at night.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakerlmt View Post
Hey guys,
Yacht Cove is condos on Lake Murray. They are affordable with rent starting at $750. There are a variety of unit sizes and prices but have the amenities you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area