Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,286 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me anything about the Hampton's Land developments that are south of Rosewood Drive/Garner's Ferry and bordered on the West by S Beltline Blvd and the East by 77? There are a number of them - Hampton Leas, Hampton Trace, Hampton Crest, Hampton Ridge, Hamptons Grant, etc. Are they as close to downtown as they seem on the map? Do they have lots of young families?

My husband and I are still looking for houses with character near downtown with good schools for our 1 and 3 year olds. We like sidewalk neighborhoods with parks. Do these Hampton developments fit the bill?

They appear to be zoned for Meadowfield Elementary, Hand, and Dreher. What do you know about Meadowfield? The website says Meadowfield is in the process of becoming a "Paideia Academy" - what is that?

Thanks for your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurastephanie View Post
Can you tell me anything about the Hampton's Land developments that are south of Rosewood Drive/Garner's Ferry and bordered on the West by S Beltline Blvd and the East by 77? There are a number of them - Hampton Leas, Hampton Trace, Hampton Crest, Hampton Ridge, Hamptons Grant, etc. Are they as close to downtown as they seem on the map? Do they have lots of young families?

My husband and I are still looking for houses with character near downtown with good schools for our 1 and 3 year olds. We like sidewalk neighborhoods with parks. Do these Hampton developments fit the bill?

They appear to be zoned for Meadowfield Elementary, Hand, and Dreher. What do you know about Meadowfield? The website says Meadowfield is in the process of becoming a "Paideia Academy" - what is that?

Thanks for your information!
Those are nice neighborhoods, but I think you would like the Shandon area. The schools are good - Dreher High School and its feeder schools, including Hand Middle, it is closer to downtown AND you are within walking distance of lots of parks, shopping, grocery stores and restaurants. The Hampton neighborhoods may or may not have sidewalks and other trappings of living in-town, but Shandon definitely will. I don't know what a "Paideia Academy" is.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,286 times
Thanks Waccamatt - you have great info on the area!
We are definitely looking at Shandon and Heathwood - which we really like. We drove them this weekend and saw so many streets that would be perfect! But during our exploration of those areas, we did notice the smaller yards and generally smaller square footage (of houses in our price range). Although those aspects of Shandon/Heathwood are not dealbreakers, we decided it would make sense to also explore alternative neighborhoods close to downtown with good schools that would give us more house for the money in case the options in our price range in Shandon/Heathwood aren't big enough. We have an expanding family and 2 rambunctious dogs so space will be a necessity.
Are there other areas you'd suggest in addition to that Hampton area?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Laura, why don't you check out the Rosewood neighborhood, which is on the other side of Rosewood Drive from Shandon. The schools are generally the same, but home prices are lower. Generally speaking, the closer you are (in Rosewood) to Rosewood Drive, the better the area. The further you get from Rosewood Drive, the neighborhood is not as nice. Melrose Heights (off Millwood Ave) is close to Dreher High School, too, and may have larger homes in your price range. The Hampton area of town is nice, also, but it is further from downtown and I'm not as knowledgeable about the schools zoned for out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area