Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 12:12 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Surprised this has not been mentioned. Richland Mall sold and to be redeveloped with retail, apartments, grocery, brewery and park. The former Parisian store will be revitalized and Belk will move into it. The rest of the mall will be razed for apartments, brewery and a 100,000 sq ft unnamed supermarket. Rendering in this article.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...270816492.html
Really excited about this one and a little bit surprised it went through tbh. They found a way to make use of that huge parking garage, which is great as it makes redevelopment much more feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 6,802 times
I moved here about that time. It had a Tremendous food court, yet just 3 merchants. The long hallways were vacant. It was miserable then 20+ a long time back. I don't comprehend the reason why it was assembled such a long ways off the Highway. I had no great explanation to go there, the Wolf Camera close by was the main motivation to be on that part of town for quite a while.

I think Columbiana is the main shopping center doing generally well.

I lived on Parklane back in 95'. Columbia Shopping center was crude then, at that point, and MUCH more awful at this point. Used to have two cinemas out there.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:56 PM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyanshu Rai View Post
I moved here about that time. It had a Tremendous food court, yet just 3 merchants. The long hallways were vacant. It was miserable then 20+ a long time back. I don't comprehend the reason why it was assembled such a long ways off the Highway. I had no great explanation to go there, the Wolf Camera close by was the main motivation to be on that part of town for quite a while.

I think Columbiana is the main shopping center doing generally well.

I lived on Parklane back in 95'. Columbia Shopping center was crude then, at that point, and MUCH more awful at this point. Used to have two cinemas out there.
I moved here about that time. It had a HUGE food court, but only 3 vendors. The long corridors were empty. It was sad then 20+ years ago. I don't even understand why it was built so far off the Interstate. I had no reason to go there, the Wolf Camera near by was the only reason to be on that side of town for a long time.

I think Columbiana is the only mall doing relatively well.

I lived on Parklane back in 95'. Columbia Mall was sketchy then and MUCH worse now. Used to have two movie theaters out there.

---
I quoted the new post from Rai, but above is my post from 11/2018. Is this just an attempt to get a post count? Is this is AI just restating my post? What is the purpose of the repost?

Old 01-09-2023, 12:58 PM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
I just checked one of his other posts in other forums, he is doing the same thing there.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:01 PM

25 posts, read 12,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I first went to Richland Mall (then called Richland Fashion Mall, I think) in 1995. It was anchored by Parisian, Dillard's and JB White. The mall corridors were pretty quiet and it was maybe half full of stores. Since then, Parisian and Dillard's closed and most of the other stores have closed, too.

How in the world does that mall stay in business? I'd think that since the mall is about 30 years old, the costs of upkeep would probably be increasing, while the rents that the owners collect probably aren't.

It's in a nice part of town; why in the world hasn't it been torn down and redeveloped into a mixed-use development? Surely condos or something plus a few stores would do fine.

Just curious!
You are off by quite a bit! I lived in Forest Acres as a kid from 1967-70, and Richland Mall was our “go to” place. So it was there way back then, so probably closer to 60 years old. I think it was fairly new back then, and it was really nice. I haven’t been back since then, and I would guess since it has been around for that long, it would definitely be showing its age. That should be a PRIME real estate location, and I’m surprised that it hasn’t been razed and something new built in it’s place.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:37 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
You are off by quite a bit! I lived in Forest Acres as a kid from 1967-70, and Richland Mall was our “go to” place. So it was there way back then, so probably closer to 60 years old. I think it was fairly new back then, and it was really nice. I haven’t been back since then, and I would guess since it has been around for that long, it would definitely be showing its age. That should be a PRIME real estate location, and I’m surprised that it hasn’t been razed and something new built in it’s place.
Yeah.. its going to be redeveloped.

https://colatoday.6amcity.com/richla...r%20developers.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:07 PM

25 posts, read 12,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. its going to be redeveloped.

https://colatoday.6amcity.com/richla...r%20developers.
Sounds good.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:35 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Nice to see Belk returning. They had acquired most Parisian stores a number of years ago, but perhaps not this location. I think I remember Belk being in the old J.B. White location there, but not sure. And seems like Macy's would move into a nicer mall in Columbia. Although they own their own building at Columbia Place, that mall has dramatically declined and is basically dead. I believe parts of it were suppose to be converted to municipal offices.

edit: Ok, apparently Belk still remains in the mall but perhaps in the old J.B. White location as I speculated. But apparently will eventually move into the old Parisian spot. But no mention of Macy's.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:27 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Nice to see Belk returning. They had acquired most Parisian stores a number of years ago, but perhaps not this location. I think I remember Belk being in the old J.B. White location there, but not sure. And seems like Macy's would move into a nicer mall in Columbia. Although they own their own building at Columbia Place, that mall has dramatically declined and is basically dead. I believe parts of it were suppose to be converted to municipal offices.

edit: Ok, apparently Belk still remains in the mall but perhaps in the old J.B. White location as I speculated. But apparently will eventually move into the old Parisian spot. But no mention of Macy's.

Yeah Macy's should sell to Richland County and relocate to either Richland Mall or Columbiana Center. Both would involve building a new store and maybe one not as large as their current one . I had hoped that the County would turn Columbia place into some form of complex that could include athletic fields a location for some county offices and possibly the State Fairgrounds . That would be a shot in the arm for Dentsville not to mention to open the door to the redevelopment of the current fairgrounds ..all win wins for the midlands

Old 05-25-2023, 07:09 AM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah Macy's should sell to Richland County and relocate to either Richland Mall or Columbiana Center. Both would involve building a new store and maybe one not as large as their current one . I had hoped that the County would turn Columbia place into some form of complex that could include athletic fields a location for some county offices and possibly the State Fairgrounds . That would be a shot in the arm for Dentsville not to mention to open the door to the redevelopment of the current fairgrounds ..all win wins for the midlands
Macy’s has been dabbling with a couple of smaller store concepts in recent years. I wonder if one of those could work at Richland Mall or at Columbiana or one of its outparcels like the old HH Gregg/Stein Mart spots on Bower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area