Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 AM

342 posts, read 798,670 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

A job opportunity at Lake Murray Elementary school has opened up and my family and I are considering the relocating to Lexington. i have done the research on the school district and from an outside perspective, it seems that it is one of the better ones in the state. We would look to downsize from our current house. We just want a nice area with a sense of community. We would be looking at a place between 185k-250k. I have a middle schooler and an elementary schooler. Golf is extremely important to us so we would need to be near courses and a practice facility. We are also outdoor people, so parks and outdoor recreation is a must. I value any and all thoughts and opinions you may have.
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM

611 posts, read 921,028 times
Lake Murray Elem. is a great school with very strong community support.

That said, the Chapin area (north side of Lake Murray) is lacking in golf courses (primarily due to the soil). The only golf course on the north side is Timberlake, which is a member-owned course and very scenic. The downside to living in/near Timberlake is that it is very inconvenient to everything else, it's a solid 15 minute drive into Chapin, and would probably take you close to 30 minutes to Lake Murray Elem at rush hour.

Lexington is still going to be a 25 minute commute, but there is more selection of golf and much more commercial activity. The area around Golden Hills Country Club should meet your needs.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with the area around Lake Murray when you're looking for outdoor activities and community. Great schools.

Unfortunately, the best golf in Columbia is on the Northeast side of town, and that's a rough commute all the way out to the Chapin area.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Thank you so much TXGamecock. Trying to get my bearings for all the different areas in case we decide to jump on this. We are currently very use to driving to have to get everywhere. i am currently a 30 minute commute from my job and while i would like to cut that down a bit if I could, it is not a deal breaker. Closest course to me currently is 10 minutes away with most being 30. Ultimately i will need to narrow down an area that is approximately 20 minutes from work while still keeping my kids in Lexington school district 1. Ideally I would want them to feed into River Bluff HS but would love to hear opinions about the other High Schools in the district. I know that Lake Murray does not feed into River Bluff.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

421 posts, read 574,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Lake Murray Elem. is a great school with very strong community support.

That said, the Chapin area (north side of Lake Murray) is lacking in golf courses (primarily due to the soil). The only golf course on the north side is Timberlake, which is a member-owned course and very scenic. The downside to living in/near Timberlake is that it is very inconvenient to everything else, it's a solid 15 minute drive into Chapin, and would probably take you close to 30 minutes to Lake Murray Elem at rush hour.

Lexington is still going to be a 25 minute commute, but there is more selection of golf and much more commercial activity. The area around Golden Hills Country Club should meet your needs.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with the area around Lake Murray when you're looking for outdoor activities and community. Great schools.

Unfortunately, the best golf in Columbia is on the Northeast side of town, and that's a rough commute all the way out to the Chapin area.
Isn’t there also a lake Murray elementary school in Lexington? I was under the belief that since the poster said they were thinking about moving to Lexington they meant the one in Lexington one and not the Lexington elementary school in district 5.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM

306 posts, read 393,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Thank you so much TXGamecock. Trying to get my bearings for all the different areas in case we decide to jump on this. We are currently very use to driving to have to get everywhere. i am currently a 30 minute commute from my job and while i would like to cut that down a bit if I could, it is not a deal breaker. Closest course to me currently is 10 minutes away with most being 30. Ultimately i will need to narrow down an area that is approximately 20 minutes from work while still keeping my kids in Lexington school district 1. Ideally I would want them to feed into River Bluff HS but would love to hear opinions about the other High Schools in the district. I know that Lake Murray does not feed into River Bluff.
Just a heads up there are two Lake Murray Elementary schools. One in Lex 1 and the other in Lex-Rich 5.

Based off of your remarks regarding River Bluff and Lexington, I assume you are referring to working for Lexington SD1.

If this is the case, Chapin would be well outside of your range as far as desired commute. In Lexington there is Golden Hills and Lexington Country Club. The area out toward LCC would have homes in your price range and be within 20 minutes. There would also be Indian River CC that isn’t but 20 minutes from Lexington.

The Lexington area has the Lake, close proximity to Saluda Shoals Park in Irmo, Harbison state forest, the Three Rivers Greenway towards downtown, and the mountains of the upstate/N.C. or beaches are within 1.5 hours. Plenty to do outdoors in the Columbia/Lexington area and nearby.

Attended Lex SD 1 schools K-12 and felt very well prepared when beginning my college career. The two Lexington area high schools are great and White Knoll (south of Lexington, my high school) is great, but often doesn’t rank as highly as the other two.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 4,437 times
We're a military family with 11 moves behind us and 4 school districts. We're in Chapin - Lex/Rich5 school district and we have been very impressed with the schools. The educators my kids have had here have been amazing. I can't say enough about the extracurricular programs offered. My 5th grader is involved in the cooking, environmental and photography clubs - all offered at no cost. There is also an after school golf program that is offered by Haney Golf Academy for a charge. Communication has been great with both schools. My middle school student is challenged academically and he has had great experiences with the school athletic programs as well.

Although Chapin is a little farther out, it's sense of community is amazing. It has that small town feel about it. Lexington is a bit larger with an abundance of amenities and top rated schools as well. It feels a bit more congested with some major traffic during peak hours. They're both so different. The greater Columbia area has lots of outdoor activities your family would probably enjoy. I think it would do you justice to visit both places to see what is the right fit for your family. I'm also a local Realtor, feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions I can help answer.

One post talked about Timberlake - it is farther out, but you don't have to live there to become a member. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the areas surrounding Lake Murray. It's a beautiful area with so much to offer including some amazingly friendly people!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
Just a heads up there are two Lake Murray Elementary schools. One in Lex 1 and the other in Lex-Rich 5.

Based off of your remarks regarding River Bluff and Lexington, I assume you are referring to working for Lexington SD1.

If this is the case, Chapin would be well outside of your range as far as desired commute. In Lexington there is Golden Hills and Lexington Country Club. The area out toward LCC would have homes in your price range and be within 20 minutes. There would also be Indian River CC that isn’t but 20 minutes from Lexington.

The Lexington area has the Lake, close proximity to Saluda Shoals Park in Irmo, Harbison state forest, the Three Rivers Greenway towards downtown, and the mountains of the upstate/N.C. or beaches are within 1.5 hours. Plenty to do outdoors in the Columbia/Lexington area and nearby.

Attended Lex SD 1 schools K-12 and felt very well prepared when beginning my college career. The two Lexington area high schools are great and White Knoll (south of Lexington, my high school) is great, but often doesn’t rank as highly as the other two.
Correct it is the Elementary school in school district 1. The SD5 is towards Irmo,correct?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH6er View Post
We're a military family with 11 moves behind us and 4 school districts. We're in Chapin - Lex/Rich5 school district and we have been very impressed with the schools. The educators my kids have had here have been amazing. I can't say enough about the extracurricular programs offered. My 5th grader is involved in the cooking, environmental and photography clubs - all offered at no cost. There is also an after school golf program that is offered by Haney Golf Academy for a charge. Communication has been great with both schools. My middle school student is challenged academically and he has had great experiences with the school athletic programs as well.

Although Chapin is a little farther out, it's sense of community is amazing. It has that small town feel about it. Lexington is a bit larger with an abundance of amenities and top rated schools as well. It feels a bit more congested with some major traffic during peak hours. They're both so different. The greater Columbia area has lots of outdoor activities your family would probably enjoy. I think it would do you justice to visit both places to see what is the right fit for your family. I'm also a local Realtor, feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions I can help answer.

One post talked about Timberlake - it is farther out, but you don't have to live there to become a member. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the areas surrounding Lake Murray. It's a beautiful area with so much to offer including some amazingly friendly people!
HH6er, thank you so much for all that information. When you mention Chapin, do you have any insight into the school districts there and how far that would be from Lake Murray Elementary?
Thanks again

Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM

611 posts, read 921,028 times
Quote:
Correct it is the Elementary school in school district 1. The SD5 is towards Irmo,correct?
My fault. I didn’t know that.

Lexington is where you will want to live.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
HH6er, thank you so much for all that information. When you mention Chapin, do you have any insight into the school districts there and how far that would be from Lake Murray Elementary?
Thanks again
Lake Murray Elementary in Lexington is a 35 minute commute from Chapin. The Lake Murray Elementary in Chapin is 11 minutes. If you’re genuinely interested you should look into both school districts. They’re both great and pay about the same. You really can’t go wrong with either. I believe SD5 might have more a teacher shortage though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area