Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times

Advertisements

It seems like there’s a lot going on behind the scenes that no one knows about. I wonder if once these park and rides are put in if the public will be aware of it? Is there any marketing to these people that could help utilize these services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Having lived in Boston, NYC, and Chicago I am very familiar with public transportation. It can work for those that have a fixed schedule and/or the transit system has a broad enough schedule to allow schedule flexibility in like I can work late and catch the 6:10 instead of my usual 5:30 or the 7:30, etc. You get the idea. Also it has to be convenient for you to get to, to park at, provide a comfortable ride, and then let us not forget you being able to get to where you work from where it stops.

No fixed personal schedule nor an extended transit schedule dooms public transit it to the casual user only.

When in Chicago, my wife used public transit as she controlled her own schedule. I was in high tech sales/marketing so I never knew when I would be free thus I always drove to work.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Where can I find info on this newberry commuter line and it’s schedule?
On the COMET website.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
I don't see the COMET system being increased enough - at any time in the next 20 years - to make anyone who doesn't have to - want to ride it. The system started as a unwanted project with a reluctant owner and a maligned ridership. It was that when I moved to COLA in '91 and is much the same 28 years later - minus SCE&G. (EDIT: I have read that the system IS improving. How much I cannot say, but since it does not access my neighborhood in Irmo, it is a moot point for me.) How many more buses will need to be purchased and routed before people can reliably use the system to actually get anywhere? To me it is a non-starter.

I experienced a system in Bellingham WA that was beautify efficient. Had plenty of equipment and a robust ridership. Trips across town were fast and the buses there went everywhere and were used by rich and poor alike. I don't know the relative cost per rider of these two systems, but I would be willing to bet that the Washington system receives a LOT of government support and I doubt that the COLA taxpayers who already pay a fortune in taxes for their multiple cars would like to increase their taxes so that a system seen as - for the poor - can grow.

As for HOV lanes and carpooling, it currently takes (guestimate, not fact) about 30 minutes to go from the state capital to Irmo. That is me in my car, zipping down to work, and returning home with a little stop to do a some shopping on the way.

If I were to get a couple riders, I imagine, I would have to drive at least 15-20 minutes out of my way to get them, deal with any of their issues, and then zip on downtown in a new HOV lane that may save me 15 minutes of traffic congestion.

What if instead, we all agree to meet at some location, pile into one car, and then HOV into town. That may be more efficient that traveling to each pooler's individual home to pick them up, but where are all these people going to safely park? I can't think of any place around Columbia I would want to leave one of my cars. And then there is the expense of this. ~$3.50 a day for a parking lot - out in the sun where my car will bake all day? And this is without paying a share of the parking at the destination for the car pool driver's car? At least when downtown, in my own car, I can park in a shaded garage. Isn't ~$3.50 about the same as it costs me to go into town in my own car?

Light Rail is far too expensive to install for the number of riders it will attract. And again, in order to make such a thing attractive, it would have to go all the places I want to go. From each of the suburban bedroom communities, not just to downtown, but also to the car dealerships, to the parks, and from my home to my local shopping.

I can't see any of these as viable plans for Columbia. I just don't think the city is dense enough to support such things.

Besides... I'm not that sure that spending a huge amount of money on any highway, or public transportation improvements anytime in the near future is a good idea. Instead, I look for automated ride sharing and routing as possibly the best way to relieve the congestion of both the highway and the parking space.

As for the over and under on the Carolina Connector? How often do any major projects come in under budget? I'd be willing to bet this will be at least 50% over and take an additional 5 years. But hey, we can get those highly professional VC Summer and Santee Cooper planners involved - it may then cost a fortune, be paid for by forcing motorists to pay a toll, and then be abandoned half way through.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-18-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM

If y'all want to come to the Multimodal committee meetings we have them at the COMET main office every second Wednesday of the month. I will drop what time the meeting will be happening and yeah can hear what's really going on if you don't think what I'm saying is legit or think that things aren't changing.

One of these meetings will change your whole Outlook on the future for transit and future Mass transit in Columbia.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:57 PM

177 posts, read 122,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
If y'all want to come to the Multimodal committee meetings we have them at the COMET main office every second Wednesday of the month. I will drop what time the meeting will be happening and yeah can hear what's really going on if you don't think what I'm saying is legit or think that things aren't changing.

One of these meetings will change your whole Outlook on the future for transit and future Mass transit in Columbia.

you should post some meeting notes for those who cant make it

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
you should post some meeting notes for those who cant make it
Will do.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Some people use harbison Walmart parking lot Superstop as a park n Ride into town.

I know we're building from the last meeting of I can remember 3 park n ride lots along I20 for buses and The COMET Vanpool.

Also starting on the 29th of this month the Newberry commuter bus will be running. Downtown, Harbison,Ballitine, Chapin and Newberry will be the stops.

And just like other routes if this one gets busy enough we will add bigger buses maybe even BRT. later in the future Commuter Rail
Thank you, good information on something I have little knowledge of.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
I received an email from SC DOT about the Carolina Crossroads project is one step closer to construction; which excited me... Until I read on that they will begin right of way acquisitions to move toward to a starting construction date of late 2020. Italics were their words from the e-mail.

Don’t right of way acquisitions take awhile? I thought this would already have been taken care of the last decade or so they’ve been planning this?

I opted out of the e-mails.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I received an email from SC DOT about the Carolina Crossroads project is one step closer to construction; which excited me... Until I read on that they will begin right of way acquisitions to move toward to a starting construction date of late 2020. Italics were their words from the e-mail.

Don’t right of way acquisitions take awhile? I thought this would already have been taken care of the last decade or so they’ve been planning this?

I opted out of the e-mails.
Nope that’s been the plan the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area