Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:27 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman321 View Post
Speaking of Bluff Road/Shop Rd area, I think QT should expand in that area for a truck stop station. Maybe either on 12th street extension or the Bluff Rd exit to the south. It would be great for truckers and great competition with Loves and Petro and the Circle K down the road. And with all the student housing nearby it would draw in the college crowd. I DoorDash a lot in that area.

I also read somewhere (probably here) that QT is supposed to be built on Fort Jackson Blvd and another on Spears Creek Church Rd near Woodcreek Farms.

Yeah.. I believe right on Ft Jackson Blvd and I-77 SW side of the interchange.

When they put Flying J up on Fairfield Road.. It spurred a lot of the "development" up there at least the Hardees and the Super 8. A lot of the other industries/warehouses/truck oriented businesses opened up along there as well. Not sure if Flying J had anything those industries.. but definitely the Motel and the Hardees came along.. Even the subpar Exxon spruced up a little bit..very little but a bit. There is a truck stop over on I-20 and North Main/Wilson Blvd and no visibility on any other parcel from the interstate perspective.. which is why the north side of Fairfield seems to be a good location.. Very visible from I-20. Its not in the City Limits so they wouldn't have to do the neighborhood notification thing that convenience stores normally do nor are there any neighborhoods close by to speak of.. I know when the Greyhound Bus Station moved to Buckner Road.. some of the neighborhoods were up in arms because of the number of transient people they thought it would bring... I have to say that since it moved up there.. there has been an up tick in the number of people I see walking up and down Fairfield Road. There was also an old apartment complex near Alcorn Middle School that was revitalized and the only grocer in town is a Food Lion in the mostly vacant Northway Plaza.. so that may explain it as well. I always see people at the bus stops along Fairfield Rd and that was unheard of back in the day......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 03:01 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Hopefully they make their way to Sumter. I don't have too much brand loyalty when it comes to convenience stores (with the exception of WaWa, which is the absolute best, and 7-11s in Korea) but I was surrounded by QT stores where I grew up in Missouri, so it would be nice to have them around to remind me of home. Be nice to get a 7-11 or two over here as well, but I would actually rather see WaWa expand further south than Virginia.
Wawa supposedly has a non compete agreement with QT so they do not overlap in competitive markets. And allegedly they share some common boards of directors. At least that's what I have been told by several QT managers at various locations. But whatever may be the case, Wawa stops at the Virginia border, jumps over the QT areas of the Carolinas and Georgia, and enters into Florida from Orlando down to Miami. Both Wawa and QT are excellent convenience stores.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:10 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Also would love to see Parker's gas and convenience stores expand from the Low Country into the Midlands. They are known for nice clean stores, good customer service, and exceptional fresh prepared foods. Their fried chicken is highly regarded, as well as other comfort foods. They are mainly located in the Savannah, Ga. and Charleston metro areas, and the surrounding region. I believe the closest location to Columbia may be Summerville, but someone may correct me on that. I have not yet had an opportunity to visit one of their stores. But in the Midlands and the Upstate, convenience store Spinx has good fried chicken, and up north I remember Royal Farms chicken is also good in Virginia and Maryland. I have not tried Parker's yet.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:41 PM

120 posts, read 149,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Also would love to see Parker's gas and convenience stores expand from the Low Country into the Midlands. They are known for nice clean stores, good customer service, and exceptional fresh prepared foods. Their fried chicken is highly regarded, as well as other comfort foods. They are mainly located in the Savannah, Ga. and Charleston metro areas, and the surrounding region. I believe the closest location to Columbia may be Summerville, but someone may correct me on that. I have not yet had an opportunity to visit one of their stores. But in the Midlands and the Upstate, convenience store Spinx has good fried chicken, and up north I remember Royal Farms chicken is also good in Virginia and Maryland. I have not tried Parker's yet.
I do feel like Royal Farms is the Spinx of the north. Haven't had a chance to try Parkers or EnMarket but they are expanding too. Probably not in the Midlands right now.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:02 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
I do feel like Royal Farms is the Spinx of the north. Haven't had a chance to try Parkers or EnMarket but they are expanding too. Probably not in the Midlands right now.
The Midlands has a few EnMarkets. They’re just usually in BFE here for some reason...

Old 11-28-2020, 10:24 PM

245 posts, read 201,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
QT coming to Columbia. Two Notch Rd & Grampian Hills Rd. You all will love it.

QuickTrip is great! It's basically Circle K on crack!

My only quibble is that I got their grilled cheese and bacon there the other day, and it was awfully... "bready". Not all that much cheese or bacon either one, it was good, but it was like eating two fat slices of Texas toast fried in butter with a little cheese and bacon between the slices. Paired very nicely with a diet Cheerwine. I think I'll get double cheese and bacon next time (but that would be awfully pricey). At a little diner in the building I used to work at in Tysons Corner VA, they served grilled cheese with two hot dogs in between, sliced lengthwise so you had four halves of hot dog lying side by side. Iranians ran the place and they did a nice job with everything, very nice people, but the grilled cheese and hot dog was their signature dish. I've never seen it anywhere else. The crowned heads of Europe do not eat as sumptuously as that. Sheer nirvana.

Sadly, they are gone now: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-at-concourse-vienna

They are getting ready to open a 7-Eleven in the Shell station on Killian with the Burger King, just in front of Aldi. About time we are getting a 7-Eleven here. Their wings are the best! Pizza... just okay.

Last edited by IM42A; 11-28-2020 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something

Old 12-03-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
QuickTrip is great! It's basically Circle K on crack!

My only quibble is that I got their grilled cheese and bacon there the other day, and it was awfully... "bready". Not all that much cheese or bacon either one, it was good, but it was like eating two fat slices of Texas toast fried in butter with a little cheese and bacon between the slices. Paired very nicely with a diet Cheerwine. I think I'll get double cheese and bacon next time (but that would be awfully pricey). At a little diner in the building I used to work at in Tysons Corner VA, they served grilled cheese with two hot dogs in between, sliced lengthwise so you had four halves of hot dog lying side by side. Iranians ran the place and they did a nice job with everything, very nice people, but the grilled cheese and hot dog was their signature dish. I've never seen it anywhere else. The crowned heads of Europe do not eat as sumptuously as that. Sheer nirvana.

Sadly, they are gone now: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-at-concourse-vienna

They are getting ready to open a 7-Eleven in the Shell station on Killian with the Burger King, just in front of Aldi. About time we are getting a 7-Eleven here. Their wings are the best! Pizza... just okay.
This will be the first 7-Eleven east of the Broad/Congaree River so that is great.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:26 AM

Quiktrip on Wilson Blvd opened today. According to this article https://www.blythewoodonline.com/202...-coming-to-bw/ This location is a travel Center and the first of its kind in this part of the country. I know compared to the Two Notch Location that the QT Kitchen will be open 24 hours instead of closing at 10 since its a Truck Stop.

Even though its a Gas Station. Its a very popular one and a great landing for the Columbia Area in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:31 AM

518 posts, read 436,122 times
Quote:
Quiktrip on Wilson Blvd opened today. According to this article https://www.blythewoodonline.com/202...-coming-to-bw/ This location is a travel Center and the first of its kind in this part of the country. I know compared to the Two Notch Location that the QT Kitchen will be open 24 hours instead of closing at 10 since its a Truck Stop.

Even though its a Gas Station. Its a very popular one and a great landing for the Columbia Area in my opinion.
I visited yesterday. It is pretty darn big. A whole wall of beef jerky products. Food can be ordered from Kiosks. When we get back to commuting again, it is on the way to Columbia for me, so I expect to use it a lot.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I visited yesterday. It is pretty darn big. A whole wall of beef jerky products. Food can be ordered from Kiosks. When we get back to commuting again, it is on the way to Columbia for me, so I expect to use it a lot.
They had a whole truckers product section where you can buy Atlas's and everything. They also have more Smoothie Choices than the Two Notch Rd location. Freezoni Section is the same. I live about the same amount of miles from both locations so I will be going to both. But the Wilson Blvd is HUGE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area