U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,183 times

Advertisements

...Hi,

Can anyone please let me know what Orangeburg would be like as a place to live? The price of property looks ridiculously cheap...is it somewhere that would be good to buy a house on a couple of acres and aim to live off the grid?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 05:01 PM

12,042 posts, read 17,072,793 times
What do you call Orangeburg? The city? The county? How close to the core of the city are you looking to live? Would you prefer the Columbia end or the Charleston end of the town or county? Is Orangeburg big enough for someone to say they’re looking at Orangeburg but really mean a far-flung location somewhere within the county? Like people saying they’re looking at Columbia but actually aiming for Blythewood?

Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM

37,241 posts, read 37,984,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Is Orangeburg big enough for someone to say they’re looking at Orangeburg but really mean a far-flung location somewhere within the county? Like people saying they’re looking at Columbia but actually aiming for Blythewood?
Yes; much of the surrounding countryside outside of the municipal limits has an official Orangeburg address.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:45 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,140,713 times
I would think that Orangeburg would be a good place to live if you were trying to get off the grid. Land and labor are cheap, taxes and services are low. There is lots of land to choose from, I've looked at a few parcels and was surprised by the number of ponds and small lakes in the outlying areas.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:27 PM

12,042 posts, read 17,072,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes; much of the surrounding countryside outside of the municipal limits has an official Orangeburg address.
I was thinking more along the lines of calling it moving to Columbia but actually moving to Blythewood versus calling it moving to Orangeburg but actually moving to Cordova.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:53 PM

37,241 posts, read 37,984,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of calling it moving to Columbia but actually moving to Blythewood versus calling it moving to Orangeburg but actually moving to Cordova.
Only in the unincorporated areas where some places have an Orangeburg address and others have a Cordova address would that most likely be the case, such as along a stretch of Cannon Bridge Rd.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:30 AM

7,700 posts, read 12,003,812 times
I had the occasion to go to Orangeburg and to go through the downtown area.. I dont know who designed or championed the streetscaping in downtown.. but it is probably one of the nicest I have seen for a small city in the State. There is still room to grow in terms of actual stores populating the storefronts but its good to see that the foundation has been laid for a nice downtown area. I know we have all talked about the future of Orangeburg and whether it will or wont "make it". I hope it does.. though once you live the city limits the surrounding areas seem slightly more depressed..

At any rate.. I know I am preaching to the choir when I say I-26 between Orangeburg and Columbia is death trap.. major wrecks going and coming along with traffic back ups and poor driving....

Old 10-17-2021, 12:45 PM

279 posts, read 130,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I had the occasion to go to Orangeburg and to go through the downtown area.. I dont know who designed or championed the streetscaping in downtown.. but it is probably one of the nicest I have seen for a small city in the State. There is still room to grow in terms of actual stores populating the storefronts but its good to see that the foundation has been laid for a nice downtown area. I know we have all talked about the future of Orangeburg and whether it will or wont "make it". I hope it does.. though once you live the city limits the surrounding areas seem slightly more depressed..

At any rate.. I know I am preaching to the choir when I say I-26 between Orangeburg and Columbia is death trap.. major wrecks going and coming along with traffic back ups and poor driving....
Downtown Orangeburg Revitalization Association (DORA) has been streetscaping the area for 20 years or more but there has been zero private development down there. Unfortunately Orangeburg is a deteriorating area that has seen negative growth for several decades. As someone who grew up there and lived a large portion of my life in the area, I can tell you first hand there is little incentive or opportunity for people or businesses to locate there. It’s best hope is spill over from Charleston on its south eastern side. But most of the development over the last 30 years has occurred on its North Western side.

And you are correct, 26 from MM 125ish where it goes to 2 lanes all the way to I-95 is a miserable stretch of interstate. Luckily it seems like the expansion to 6 lanes down to exit 136 will be happening sooner thanks to Rescue Plan funding allocated by the state.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:48 PM

13,772 posts, read 12,813,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I would think that Orangeburg would be a good place to live if you were trying to get off the grid. Land and labor are cheap, taxes and services are low. There is lots of land to choose from, I've looked at a few parcels and was surprised by the number of ponds and small lakes in the outlying areas.

Good luck.
I agree for living off the grid. On the grid, no way.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:32 PM

7,700 posts, read 12,003,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Downtown Orangeburg Revitalization Association (DORA) has been streetscaping the area for 20 years or more but there has been zero private development down there. Unfortunately Orangeburg is a deteriorating area that has seen negative growth for several decades. As someone who grew up there and lived a large portion of my life in the area, I can tell you first hand there is little incentive or opportunity for people or businesses to locate there. It’s best hope is spill over from Charleston on its south eastern side. But most of the development over the last 30 years has occurred on its North Western side.

And you are correct, 26 from MM 125ish where it goes to 2 lanes all the way to I-95 is a miserable stretch of interstate. Luckily it seems like the expansion to 6 lanes down to exit 136 will be happening sooner thanks to Rescue Plan funding allocated by the state.
Yeah.. I just dont know what keeps it going other than SC State, Claflin, Tech College, Hospital and a few plants? Meanwhile the southside of Lexington County seems to be booming with new industries, warehouses and the State Farmers Market along with Amazon and other industries... That 12th Street corridor between I-77 and I-26 seems prime for new industrial growth...I know we can always talk of "what ifs" but if Orangeburg was just a little closer to Columbia.. possibly where Swansea or Gaston is located.. it would be an entirely different ball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area