U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 08:41 AM

4,856 posts, read 6,459,842 times

Advertisements

At the Blythewood location I would think you should also be able to pick up Charlotte signals as well. That is a good reception area, and the Charlotte radio signals start to come in good there.

When I sometimes visit Columbiana Mall in the parking lot you can pick up 107.9-FM from Charlotte and the HD signal will lock in. However there is a Low Power FM religious signal in Lexington that interferes. 107.9-WLNK is on the same tall tower as WBTV, so I would think you may be able to pick up Channel 3/RF23 in the suburban areas of Columbia.

In the past 10 years the FCC has allowed Low Power FM signals and translators to interfere with the long distance signals of full power radio stations that used to come in clear. There is now interference with 107.9 from Charlotte in Greenville County. But 2 famous full power stations remain 99.9-WKSF from Asheville and 106.9-WMIT from Black Mountain which are both heard in many states including the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee and possibly West Virginia and Kentucky.

Update: Just thinking about it, I do recall receiving 99.9 and 106.9 from Asheville in the parking lot of Frisch's Big Boy in London, Kentucky, right next to I-75. But that was 4 or 5 years ago, so there could now be localized interference, but hopefully nothing has changed. But everytime you turn on the radio it seems some new low power signal is interfering with something you used to receive here in the Upstate.

Last edited by tylerSC; 03-15-2021 at 08:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 08:44 AM

To pick up at the Newark warehouse you have to preorder over the phone and arrange a pick up at the site. But this was before Covid-19 shut down, so I don't know the current status. But it was a short 30 minute drive up 85 from Spartanburg and saved on the shipping cost.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 PM

228 posts, read 148,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
At the Blythewood location I would think you should also be able to pick up Charlotte signals as well. That is a good reception area, and the Charlotte radio signals start to come in good there.

When I sometimes visit Columbiana Mall in the parking lot you can pick up 107.9-FM from Charlotte and the HD signal will lock in. However there is a Low Power FM religious signal in Lexington that interferes. 107.9-WLNK is on the same tall tower as WBTV, so I would think you may be able to pick up Channel 3/RF23 in the suburban areas of Columbia.

In the past 10 years the FCC has allowed Low Power FM signals and translators to interfere with the long distance signals of full power radio stations that used to come in clear. There is now interference with 107.9 from Charlotte in Greenville County. But 2 famous full power stations remain 99.9-WKSF from Asheville and 106.9-WMIT from Black Mountain which are both heard in many states including the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee and possibly West Virginia and Kentucky.

Update: Just thinking about it, I do recall receiving 99.9 and 106.9 from Asheville in the parking lot of Frisch's Big Boy in London, Kentucky, right next to I-75. But that was 4 or 5 years ago, so there could now be localized interference, but hopefully nothing has changed. But everytime you turn on the radio it seems some new low power signal is interfering with something you used to receive here in the Upstate.

I'm not all that much into FM DX, but I know what you mean. I had not thought of trying TV DX from the Columbiana area. I do know that Greenville FM stations start to fade in between Irmo and Chapin. I have picked up WMUU-94.5 from Harbison Road at Columbiana (back when it was still WMUU). I might get some funny looks from the suburban shoppers in the various parking lots...

WLOS-13 used to get into southeastern Kentucky via translators and even OTA in some places. I picked it up at Pine Mountain State Park in Bell County with just rabbit ears IIRC. At one time they had cable coverage in London, Corbin, Manchester, Harlan, and I want to say Hazard but I'm not 100% sure of that. TV reception in that part of Kentucky has always been a catch-as-catch-can proposition anyway.

As for your comments about the Newark warehouse in Gaffney, I'll bear that in mind. I thought they might have some kind of "factory outlet" there, like Radio Shack did at their Ashley Phosphate location in North Charleston. I snagged an LP-190 there, folded back up and taped together with clear tape --- evidently someone bought it, got disgusted with the assembly, and brought it back --- for something like $20. That antenna served me faithfully for years.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:53 AM

832 posts, read 1,683,028 times
Very interesting discussion here. Talking about OOM reception, back in the 80s and 90s WJBF and WRDW actually used to have legit viewership in the Columbia area. That was why WLTX and WOLO were such laggard stations for decades. WCBD and WCSC Charleston also had significant viewership in Orangeburg and even as close in to Columbia as Sumter in the late 80s. WCSC is still carried I believe on Spectrum in Orangeburg.

WIS had no competition in the area except for Augusta NBC (which didn’t even carry news). WCIV was a non-factor.

People would watch WRDW for Falcons games back when WLTX had the Washington NFL games pre Panthers.

Much like what WIS used to be on analog. Except for maybe 4 or 5 counties (Oconee, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston and Jasper), WIS could be picked up in every county in the state with a good antenna or on cable. WIS was the NBC in Myrtle Beach with Wilmington’s WECT until WMBF signed on in 2008.

97.5 WCOS is probably the best non-mountain FM signal in SC. WCOS still comes into Charleston probably 50-75% of the time with a decent radio. WWDM 101.3 used to come in all the time here, but there’s a local translator in CHS.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Very interesting discussion here. Talking about OOM reception, back in the 80s and 90s WJBF and WRDW actually used to have legit viewership in the Columbia area. That was why WLTX and WOLO were such laggard stations for decades. WCBD and WCSC Charleston also had significant viewership in Orangeburg and even as close in to Columbia as Sumter in the late 80s. WCSC is still carried I believe on Spectrum in Orangeburg.

WIS had no competition in the area except for Augusta NBC (which didn’t even carry news). WCIV was a non-factor.

People would watch WRDW for Falcons games back when WLTX had the Washington NFL games pre Panthers.

Much like what WIS used to be on analog. Except for maybe 4 or 5 counties (Oconee, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston and Jasper), WIS could be picked up in every county in the state with a good antenna or on cable. WIS was the NBC in Myrtle Beach with Wilmington’s WECT until WMBF signed on in 2008.

97.5 WCOS is probably the best non-mountain FM signal in SC. WCOS still comes into Charleston probably 50-75% of the time with a decent radio. WWDM 101.3 used to come in all the time here, but there’s a local translator in CHS.

If you will look at the Television Factbook from the 1960s and 1970s, you can see that any UHF station in South Carolina "had its work cut out for it" and took years to build market share. This was no doubt due to less-precise UHF tuners (detent tuners didn't really become a "thing" until the late 1970s, before then, you had to tune UHF much like a radio dial, and it would drift) and older TVs not even having UHF, coupled with reception challenges that VHF didn't have. It's not hard to imagine that viewers outside of Richland and Lexington counties would have chosen WIS for NBC, and tuned in VHF affiliates of other networks from adjacent markets that were easier to get. As UHF reception has become easier (it would have made much more sense for DTV to go all-UHF, such as you have in the UK, but as with everything else in the US, I imagine it was as much about money, carving out bandwidth for non-TV services and selling it, as technical considerations), the Columbia market has grown, even though ironically Columbia now has not one, but two, VHF stations, WOLO-10 (digital and PSIP), and WOLO-7 (DTV) and 25 (PSIP). I don't understand, if the repack is basically over, and stations have "landed" in the place on the dial that they expect to be for a while, why now-VHF stations such as WOLO don't just adopt their "real" VHF channel (a lower, more desirable, more easily remembered number) as their PSIP channel. "ABC7 Columbia" has a nice ring to it, they could even use the iconic ABC Circle 7 logo:

Myrtle Beach has always been an "odd duck" with regard to TV reception and cable carriage. Due to the flat shoreline topography, Wilmington and Charleston stations are easily available OTA with a decent outdoor antenna, yet MB cable carries no commercial stations from either market. In fact, in the 1980s (I think) MB was in the Wilmington TV market, and WWAY-3 even had a Myrtle Beach bureau in the Flatiron Building downtown, logo on the side of the building and everything. Nowadays, though, it is as if there is some sort of "iron curtain" at the NC/SC line, and the MB/Florence and Wilmington markets might as well be in separate countries (exception made for Robeson and Scotland Counties which are in the MBF market). Florence itself has basically lost its commercial TV stations (13/15/21) and they have all become de facto MB stations, WPDE news never indicates the location of its studios, which are in Conway. It is kind of like the way WOLO tried doing its news from WCCB studios in Charlotte (both being Bahakel stations), which fooled nobody and wasn't well-received (no pun intended) with Columbia viewers.

NBC, likewise, was always kind of weird in MB --- you had WECT and WIS as the two cable affiliates, with WCBD curiously left out of the equation. Moreover, syndicated programs that were also aired on MBF stations would be blacked out on the WIS and WECT cable feeds, with color bars and a Chyron blurb about the program having exclusivity in the MBF market.

So nowadays you have the situation where the in-market MBF channels broadcasting from inland (the 13/15/21 tower farm near South of the Border) are actually harder to get than the Wilmington and Charleston stations, but since they are in-market, they enjoy cable coverage, but stations from the other two markets aren't carried at all on MB cable. It is almost as though an artificial cable market has been created to squeeze out what would otherwise be the "natural" choices for viewing in MB. And IIRC, MB cable even carried what is now WCNC-36 when it was independent WRET and later NBC affiliate WPCQ. I also have a vague memory of WSOC-9 being carried on MB cable, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by IM42A; 03-16-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-16-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:

And don't forget WRJA-FM-88.1 Sumter. WRJA can be heard easily both in Myrtle Beach and in Columbia. Big, huge, robust signal across about 2/3 of the state of South Carolina. I like it as a news alternative to WLTR-91.3 when WLTR is not carrying news.

Another interesting station is WLGI-90.9 Radio Baha'i from Hemingway SC. They don't make into Columbia, though. Fun fact for today - South Carolinians Dizzy Gillespie and WIS anchor Susan Aude Fisher have both been Baha'i adherents.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:40 AM

832 posts, read 1,683,028 times
The Charleston local stations have always superserved Georgetown and Georgetown County because their transmitters are so close to Georgetown being in Awendaw. WCBD, WCIV, WCSC and WTAT are all less than 40 miles from Georgetown as the crow flies, and even Garden City Beach at the southern end of Horry County is under 60 miles.

I think only WBTW and WPDE are on cable in Georgetown itself. 96.9 FM (WIWF, originally WXTC and WSUY) is also on the 2000’ Awendaw transmitter and it blasts in all the way into southern Horry County but there’s a 97.1 translator in Myrtle Beach that blocks it any further. It used to be listenable as far as the NC/SC line.

Several other Charleston FM stations have listeners in Georgetown County (95SX, WSCI, ESPN 98.9 and a couple others).

When they built those transmitters in the 80s they also got Williamsburg County as a part of it. Spectrum in Kingstree only offers Charleston channels. I think Farmers Telephone Cooperative offers WBTW and WIS, but those are the only stations from that area. Even though the Charleston stations might cover Williamsburg County news once a month.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
The Charleston local stations have always superserved Georgetown and Georgetown County because their transmitters are so close to Georgetown being in Awendaw. WCBD, WCIV, WCSC and WTAT are all less than 40 miles from Georgetown as the crow flies, and even Garden City Beach at the southern end of Horry County is under 60 miles.

I think only WBTW and WPDE are on cable in Georgetown itself. 96.9 FM (WIWF, originally WXTC and WSUY) is also on the 2000’ Awendaw transmitter and it blasts in all the way into southern Horry County but there’s a 97.1 translator in Myrtle Beach that blocks it any further. It used to be listenable as far as the NC/SC line.

Several other Charleston FM stations have listeners in Georgetown County (95SX, WSCI, ESPN 98.9 and a couple others).

When they built those transmitters in the 80s they also got Williamsburg County as a part of it. Spectrum in Kingstree only offers Charleston channels. I think Farmers Telephone Cooperative offers WBTW and WIS, but those are the only stations from that area. Even though the Charleston stations might cover Williamsburg County news once a month.

Georgetown County is in the Charleston TV market for good reason, however, the northeastern corner is firmly considered part of the Myrtle Beach area, and therefore MB locals (OK, technically Florence) would be carried on cable there as well. TV markets (i.e., DMAs) never overlap and usually obey county lines (there are exceptions), so the very northern tip of Georgetown County becomes Charleston DMA by default, even though the area itself is far more closely oriented to Myrtle Beach.

I referred to WMUU-94.5 Greenville upthread being receivable in the Harbison area. As it happened, I was out that way today, tried to pick it up, it was crowded out by 94.3 and there was no discernible signal. (I know the calls are no longer WMUU ever since BJU sold it, but I have to go now, and don't have time to look up the new calls.)

Old 03-16-2021, 09:32 PM

I remember back in the 80's and 90's when visiting the Grand Strand, most stations from Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington, and Florence were carried on cable at Myrtle Beach. Some syndicated shows as mentioned were blacked out. When WMBF signed on as the NBC affiliate from Myrtle Beach, many local folks were very angry as WIS was dropped from cable. For years WIS served as the de facto NBC affiliate for the Florence/Myrtle Beach market and viewers enjoyed enhanced coverage of SC state government and politics. Now it is only available in many areas via antenna, so some folks lost access to WIS closer to the coast. Also I think WIS has been dropped from cable in Rock Hill and Lancaster, which are part of the Charlotte viewing market, and WCNC is the official NBC affiliate.

Because of retransmission fees, many cable systems no longer carry stations from neighboring markets that may otherwise be available via an antenna. WBTV Charlotte used to be on cable in Spartanburg and Asheville, but that was dropped years ago, as well as WSPA in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Charlotte. In Spartanburg and parts of Greenville, WBTV has a super strong signal just like a local station. An antenna is beneficial to receive more regional stations.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I remember back in the 80's and 90's when visiting the Grand Strand, most stations from Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington, and Florence were carried on cable at Myrtle Beach. Some syndicated shows as mentioned were blacked out. When WMBF signed on as the NBC affiliate from Myrtle Beach, many local folks were very angry as WIS was dropped from cable. For years WIS served as the de facto NBC affiliate for the Florence/Myrtle Beach market and viewers enjoyed enhanced coverage of SC state government and politics. Now it is only available in many areas via antenna, so some folks lost access to WIS closer to the coast. Also I think WIS has been dropped from cable in Rock Hill and Lancaster, which are part of the Charlotte viewing market, and WCNC is the official NBC affiliate.

Because of retransmission fees, many cable systems no longer carry stations from neighboring markets that may otherwise be available via an antenna. WBTV Charlotte used to be on cable in Spartanburg and Asheville, but that was dropped years ago, as well as WSPA in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Charlotte. In Spartanburg and parts of Greenville, WBTV has a super strong signal just like a local station. An antenna is beneficial to receive more regional stations.

Myrtle Beach is too far away from Columbia to get WIS OTA. The signal peters out around Marion, and that is being very generous. I'd assume WOLO, with its new huge signal on VHF channel 7, has similar coverage. I would think viewers in the SC part of the Charlotte market would want at least one in-state commercial TV station, not counting WMYT-55 which is technically an SC station. Charlotte stations do cover some SC news, but it is an afterthought. With a decent rooftop antenna, viewers all the way to Fort Mill could at least get WIS and WOLO.

Dumb question --- could out-of-market stations, that seek carriage on cable systems, just waive or slash retransmission fees, as an enticement to get the cable companies to carry them? As I understand it, all in-market stations can choose either must-carry (if they're a full-power station) of their x.1 subchannel, if they're a less-popular station that in-market providers probably would rather not carry throughout the market (WHKY, I'm looking at you), or on the other hand, require retransmission fees if they're a popular station such as WBTV, WSOC, or WCNC (and possibly other concessions such as carrying each one of their subchannels). Nobody in Salisbury or Albemarle wants to watch WHKY (which serves more as a micro-sub-market news channel for the "Unifour" counties, the kind of truly local content that the FCC loves to see), but if the cable companies there didn't carry WBTV or WSOC, that would indeed be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area