Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 AM

245 posts, read 200,765 times

Advertisements

There's just "something that seems to happen" when you get beyond roughly the post office going west on Clemson Road, and then north of Clemson on Hardscrabble. Aggressive, fast drivers like nothing I've seen elsewhere in this area. Lots of wrecks. What's up with that? It's like a Southern-fried version of Route Irish! (And I don't think I exaggerate by much.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 10:59 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
There's just "something that seems to happen" when you get beyond roughly the post office going west on Clemson Road, and then north of Clemson on Hardscrabble. Aggressive, fast drivers like nothing I've seen elsewhere in this area. Lots of wrecks. What's up with that? It's like a Southern-fried version of Route Irish! (And I don't think I exaggerate by much.)
Probably frustration with congestion most of the roads in the NE with the exception of Clemson and Two Notch are undersized or just recently being widen though maybe not fully complete.. Having to sit through several cycles of a stoplight or having to ride behind a slower driver on one of the many neighborhood thoroughfares or construction zones.... once people see daylight in the form of open road they go for it.......

WIth the pandemic and people working from home, there are likely way more people out and about in the neighborhood commercial areas who would have normally been downtown working somewhere.. So, shuttling kids around, running errands are now a daily thing as opposed to before/after work or when people could take time off during the "slow" part of the day to take care of errands thus more traffic daily. The result is now this is now 7days a week thing since people are home and around... compounding frustrations.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:57 PM

518 posts, read 435,640 times
That intersection at Clemson and Hard Scrabble has been horrible for as long as I can remember. You can get stuck at that interection and just hate life

Old 12-18-2020, 07:39 AM

217 posts, read 239,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Probably frustration with congestion most of the roads in the NE with the exception of Clemson and Two Notch are undersized or just recently being widen though maybe not fully complete.. Having to sit through several cycles of a stoplight or having to ride behind a slower driver on one of the many neighborhood thoroughfares or construction zones.... once people see daylight in the form of open road they go for it.......

WIth the pandemic and people working from home, there are likely way more people out and about in the neighborhood commercial areas who would have normally been downtown working somewhere.. So, shuttling kids around, running errands are now a daily thing as opposed to before/after work or when people could take time off during the "slow" part of the day to take care of errands thus more traffic daily. The result is now this is now 7days a week thing since people are home and around... compounding frustrations.
Pineview @ Garners ferry is torture as well during rush hrs.

I remember back when times were normal that going to and from work on Sunday was a breeze. Now some roads are just as busy on Sunday as they are the rest of the week.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:31 AM

101 posts, read 448,465 times
Traffic on Farrow Rd/Hardscrabble area is just as horrendous. How long does turning
left onto Farrow from Hardscrabble take?! NE Columbia grew too fast for the infrastructure to even keep up. I use say Harbison was the worst but nowadays Killian definitely takes the prize.

Someone mentioned Pineview & Garners Ferry LOL ya it’s pretty bad. Same with Atlas & Garners Ferry.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:45 AM

518 posts, read 435,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
Traffic on Farrow Rd/Hardscrabble area is just as horrendous. How long does turning
left onto Farrow from Hardscrabble take?! NE Columbia grew too fast for the infrastructure to even keep up. I use say Harbison was the worst but nowadays Killian definitely takes the prize.

Someone mentioned Pineview & Garners Ferry LOL ya it’s pretty bad. Same with Atlas & Garners Ferry.
Harbison isn't as bad now that the mall isn't as busy. Killian/Clemson down to Hardscrabble is just regular commute traffic. And it ain't getting better. Will only get worse when the Covid restrictions are lifted.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:55 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post

Yeah.. the County pretty much rubber stamped any subdivision proposed for the NE and there is little organized opposition to it since most people in the NE live in a new or newish subdivision.. The SE and Lower Richland there has been more organized opposition and the lack of infrastructure and maybe schools have slowed growth there to a more manageable level.. Richland County wants the taxes and permit fees but put little to infrastructure until recently.. which in the short run will compound the problem because of construction.. You may see the same thing happen in western Kershaw County (Lugoff Elgin) area... Fortunately the state is widening I-20 and I-77 so that will likely take some pressure off of Two Notch which will be the main way people will get from Kershaw into Columbia. I wouldnt be surprised if they end up widening Percival Road at some point as it parallels I-20 and could provide another alternative route down to I-77 over to I-20 or even down to Forest Drive

I believe they are extending Shop Road further into Lower Richland... That along with improvements to both Bluff and Shop Roads could help ease congestion coming in from the South .. When I lived in SE I often avoided Garners Ferry and went over Shop or Bluff to get into downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area