Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Looks like West Columbia is getting a new brewery.
I
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/retail/75058/

West is Best......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...link=mainstage

West Columbia approved a $28M revitalization plan focused on underdeveloped corridors, including the area around Jarvis Klapman. I suppose this is good news since it’s one of the entry points to Columbia, but I just wish it benefitted the city proper.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
It essentially benefits the city proper. Forget about artificial lines, it's all pretty much Columbia for all intensive purposes. re West Columbia/Cayce beautifucation.

The new sidewalks on the other side of the river are already making the area look nicer, I actually applaud this beautification effort wholeheartedly. Especially the demolishment of derelict buidlings to add green space.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 AM

46 posts, read 72,271 times
Interesting article. I just moved into Cayce and I really like it here so far. It would be nice to see the Capitol Square "revitalized" I guess you'd say. Any idea what structures would be demolished?

It's a great spot for retail, though there isn't much happening there now. It's owned by Baker and Baker Real Estate. Doesn't seem that they have much in the way of plans for it. It would be nice if they'd sell to somebody who did. Note, for all I know they DO have plans, but they've owned it for 13 years, so... ?

As for the chicken plant: "by working with the owners, the city would add public art to the front of the plant"... Well, I guess that's something. Maybe they can hire the Chicken Man? The Knights Who Say Ni? (they like planting shrubberies)

Last edited by GoGreen(ville); 11-25-2018 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: General horrible formatting

Old 11-25-2018, 03:29 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I was in Columbia yesterday. I think West Columbia missed the mark by not lining the Meeting Street sidewalk with the new buildings between the one at Meeting and Alexander and Meeting and State. The trees are nice, but a paved parking lot? It will be that way for decades, but could have been up-to-the-sidewalk urban.

On another note, I have concluded that much of what challenges Columbia aesthetically is that you see lots of buildings’ unattractive sides and backsides where one day perhaps those views will be blocked by additional buildings being constructed where there are now paved parking lots, especially on corners.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreen(ville) View Post
Interesting article. I just moved into Cayce and I really like it here so far. It would be nice to see the Capitol Square "revitalized" I guess you'd say. Any idea what structures would be demolished?

It's a great spot for retail, though there isn't much happening there now. It's owned by Baker and Baker Real Estate. Doesn't seem that they have much in the way of plans for it. It would be nice if they'd sell to somebody who did. Note, for all I know they DO have plans, but they've owned it for 13 years, so... ?

As for the chicken plant: "by working with the owners, the city would add public art to the front of the plant"... Well, I guess that's something. Maybe they can hire the Chicken Man? The Knights Who Say Ni? (they like planting shrubberies)
Cayce is doing a nice streetscape down Knott Abbot Drive along with lower/less commercial signage and fewer billboards.. HUGE improvement.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...link=mainstage

West Columbia approved a $28M revitalization plan focused on underdeveloped corridors, including the area around Jarvis Klapman. I suppose this is good news since it’s one of the entry points to Columbia, but I just wish it benefitted the city proper.

Jarvis Klapman Blvd is an interesting road.. I guess they built it to bypass Meeting Street traffic.. I just wonder way it just didn't connect with I-26. Its literally just a mile away.. Dumping all that traffic into a commercial area with a series of lights just before an interchange doesn't really help traffic management.. Of course when it was built there was likely not much development or traffic to speak of....SC cities hate inner city highways.. that is why most of them are only spurs and don't run through the city.. the exception being Charleston for SC and that was by sheer necessity because of its geography... Either spur or bypass... the SC way

Need to add this to the list in the Freeway thread....LOL

Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 AM

46 posts, read 72,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Cayce is doing a nice streetscape down Knott Abbot Drive along with lower/less commercial signage and fewer billboards.. HUGE improvement.
Thanks Woodlands, that's good to know. As I just moved in, all I've known is the road in a state of dishevel resulting from the infrastructure upgrades. That said, even in it's current condition, it does have a certain aesthetic appeal, most likely relating to the changes you mentioned.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Was at the Steel Hands opening yesterday, really impressive brewery and the midlands biggest.

Now we have 10, in order of size:

Steel Hands
River Rat
Hunter Gatherer (the Hangar)
Conquest
Cottontown Brewery
Swamp Cabbage
Columbia Craft Brewing
Old Mill Brew Pub
Twisted Spur
Angry Fish

*Anybody know if Hazelwood Brewery still going in at the OldMill, haven’t heard
any updates on them in months. Savage Craft and Ex Gratia are two others that may open in 2019.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 AM

24 posts, read 26,653 times
Hazelwood is still on pace to open early next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area