Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM

53 posts, read 189,843 times

Advertisements

HI,
We are moving to Lexington in 3 weeks after a year long plan to do so. We have heard a lot about the instate college tuition being very low for SC residents. Where could I get some info about this?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
If your child has good grades (B average or better), they can qualify for a lottery scholarship, which will pay part of the tuition at any state-supported college or university. Also, normal tuition is less for South Carolina residents.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
I think it's even lower if you attend one that is in-county. I received an extra $900 off for being an in-county resident in addition to being in-state.

Also, I believe you have to be a 1-year resident and have attended a full year at an in-state High School. That is how it was when I went, the same policy may still apply.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I think it's even lower if you attend one that is in-county. I received an extra $900 off for being an in-county resident in addition to being in-state.

Also, I believe you have to be a 1-year resident and have attended a full year at an in-state High School. That is how it was when I went, the same policy may still apply.
In county might apply for Tec schools. It definitely does not apply for normal 4 year colleges.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 PM

thank you

Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM

28 posts, read 121,608 times
You can check out USC's website (University of South Carolina) for financial aid and tuition stats. It's a really good school for everything from business to liberal arts, they have a lot of strong departments.
if you are speaking about grade schools, check out South Carolina School System | SC School District | Public and Private School Information | | 06-05-2008, which has info on public and private schools throughout the state.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,946 times
The South Carolina Lottery is pretty good--not as good as the Georgia Lottery--towards tuition. I put the link below with some details.
South Carolina Education Lottery - Education Wins

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM

221 posts, read 1,032,714 times
I graduated highschool in 2000 and college (Clemson, a SC State school) in 2004. At the time, and I believe it is still the case, Life Scholarship was available to all students who take the required courses in highschool (essentially all college prep tracks will have them taking the right classes), and graduate with a B average or better. To keep it through college you have to maintain a 3.0 cumulative (wow you can't abbreviate cummulative...). GPA. You get 1 semester of "probation" if your GPA drops, so if you don't get it back up after the probation period then you lose it.

I understand the idea of Life is that it would pay most or all of the tuition (not room and board) for SC residents at SC state schools. When I started, Life paid $2000 / yr which covered most of the tuition at Clemson. The Lottery was voted through around the same time, and the state cut the budgets to the schools, but increased the scholarships available. Life went up to $3k per year my soph year, and it was $5k by my senior year. Of course the budget cuts required Clemson to raise their tuition rates. Fortunately I maintained my GPA consistently to keep Life, but even the increases they made weren't enough to keep pace with Clemson.

Clemson is the most expensive of all of the public schools in SC, so by choosing to go there you may be choosing to pay a little more than Life will cover. I had friends that went to Lander, and their Life scholarship covered tuition and even some room and board.

I have no idea what the Life amount is today, but I'd definitely look into that. Its one of the few that you can control academically, rather than having to apply and be selected.

In my experience, the State's budgets after the Lottery was introduced was worse than before. Yes they increased the Scholarship amounts for my Life scholarships, but they cut the funding to Clemson that forced Clemson to raise the tuition more. And I was fortunate to keep my grades up. At the time I heard numbers like 50-80% of Life scholars dropped their scholarship because of their grades after the first year. Some get it back later, but if you're irresponsible as a College Freshman, its easy to carry a 2.0 or lower GPA that makes it hard to get your cumulative GPA back over 3.0 before you graduate. The "great lottery funding" forced alot of folks out of school that may have been able to afford it themselves if Clemson hadn't had to raise the tuition because the state cut the budget.

I'm speaking about this all in reference to expereince from 4-8 years ago. If things are different now I'm glad, but thats what happened to me.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area