Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,924 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Bishopville and would like to know as much as possible about living in that community. I'd like to know what recreational activities there are in the area, what property taxes and sales taxes are, home and car insurances, etc.
I've heard it's the poorest place in the state and that the public schools are horrible.
If anyone has any advice, I'd welcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutqueen View Post
I'm relocating to Bishopville and would like to know as much as possible about living in that community. I'd like to know what recreational activities there are in the area, what property taxes and sales taxes are, home and car insurances, etc.
I've heard it's the poorest place in the state and that the public schools are horrible.
Are you sure you want to live in Bishopville?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 PM

yes. should i be looking somewhere else?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I guess the first question to ask is, "Why are you moving to Bishopville?" I'm sure it's cheap to live there, but it is the type of place that people move from, not move to. If you're moving there because of a job transfer you could always live in Camden or in the northeast part of Columbia and have a fairly reasonable commute.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I guess the first question to ask is, "Why are you moving to Bishopville?"
I'm moving because my husband and I are considering purchasing a large parcel of land. We would like our children to grow up in a small town/rural setting. I homeschool, so public schooling isn't an issue for us. We have seen something that we like and I want to know more about the area.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
There is a prison in Bishopville, and sometimes you hear about someone escaping. Bit scary IMO!!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'm moving because my husband and I are considering purchasing a large parcel of land. We would like our children to grow up in a small town/rural setting. I homeschool, so public schooling isn't an issue for us. We have seen something that we like and I want to know more about the area.
I guess if schools aren't a concern and you aren't in need of nearby amenities, Bishopville would be ok.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,084 times
Coconut Queen,
I've lived in Lee County for years. Economically, the county is struggling, however, the spirit of the wonderful people who live here is as strong as ever. We are a friendly lot who are always willing to lend a helping hand when their neighbors are in need. Folks here still smile and wave to each other in passing. There is no hospital here in Lee County, however, our EMS service is fabulous. Depending on the area in which you plan to move, you are not that far from the larger towns. In the Lucknow community, you're within 15 miles of Camden. In the Lynchburg area, you have the choice between Sumter and Florence..Ashwood is close to Sumter where the Cypress and Ashland areas are close to Hartsville. I hope you've decided to purchase the land and make Lee County your home..on behalf of everyone here, welcome to Lee County. Oh..and by the way..my children went to Robert E. Lee Academy and it's a fine school.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM

120 posts, read 289,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I guess the first question to ask is, "Why are you moving to Bishopville?" I'm sure it's cheap to live there, but it is the type of place that people move from, not move to. If you're moving there because of a job transfer you could always live in Camden or in the northeast part of Columbia and have a fairly reasonable commute.
May I dare ask why do people want to move from Bishopville ?? Is it boring? is it considered a dangerous area?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybound View Post
May I dare ask why do people want to move from Bishopville ?? Is it boring? is it considered a dangerous area?
I have a co-worker who grew up there and according to her there is little to do there, very few jobs and a poor school district. She said if you like cotton fields it is a wonderful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area