Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 PM

60 posts, read 387,462 times

Advertisements

What Is Public Transportation Like In Cola Is There A Major Busline And How Much Does It Cost. How Often Does It Run. Does It Have Many Thoroughfares. How About Taxi's How Much Do They Normally Run???? If You Didn't Have A Car Could You Make It In Columbia????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
You may want to check their website for schedule and fares. I have not rode on teh bus in years. The quality of the vehicles has improved considerably, I am not sure about the quality of the service, though they have extended the route over the years CMRTA

Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,481 times
The bus system doesn't really work for me, but check out their routes and you might be able to figure something out.

Decent numbers of taxis due to the fort and the airport, but you can pretty much forget about hailing a cab. You gotta call them.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

69 posts, read 347,061 times
Columbia without a car. Hahahahaha. Have fun with that. But all jokes aside, you would definitely need a car in Columbia. Everything is so spread out in Columbia and IMO, public transportation is a joke. I don't know how much it has improved within the last couple of years but when I was there the buses did not have extensive operating routes. Basically from what I saw, the buses were only good for getting around downtown and the outlying areas.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
CMRTA - Routes & Schedules

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
My roommate sometimes uses the bus to get to and from work. It isn't the most convenient mode of travel, but if you live and work in-town it is certainly a viable option. If you live or work in the suburbs it is a less viable option unless both places are on a bus line.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
id guess that public trans there is very similar to up here ( or in most cities for that matter ). All originally designed to handle the load in a metro setting, then as the population sprawls outward to the burbs it's "limitations" show up more frequently. Up here there is interest in rails to help out, but again useage depends on where one lives.
As gas jumps, interest in public options increases so it's always good to know if there are ways to get around besides one's own auto

Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM

28 posts, read 121,587 times
I agree with the previous posters. If you are staying in the downtown area of Columbia, as long as you can stick with the schedules, taking the bus is an option. You can walk to pretty much anywhere downtown, as it's a college town anyway. Once you hit, the suburbs, though, you MUST have a car to get around conveniently! There's great info about the city at columbia.cities.sc.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 34,883 times
No reliable public transportation,you must have a car to live in SC,buses only run in certain areas main st,colonial drive,farrow rd,beltline,broad river and two notch and that seems like every 2hrs unless u know that bus schedule you just standing out there for nothing until a bus finally comes along.Now the taxis I see them all the time but I don't know what there rates are,probably high being the the buses don't run that often and the cab drivers know this.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM

55 posts, read 134,824 times
Can you take bicycles on the buses?Mel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area