Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 40,077 times

Advertisements

Didn't see a thread for this yet, but was wondering what people thought about the new city slogan, "Famously Hot!" Sure it fits the weather, but how does it fit the culture, the economy? What does everybody think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Default Cola, SC:

I do not think it is all bad.. but I mentioned in another forum that I wished they could have played a little bit off the postal abbreviation 'cola' since it is widely used..... "Cola, SC... Simply Refreshing" but I guess that's why I am not in marketing.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:38 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I do not think it is all bad.. but I mentioned in another forum that I wished they could have played a little bit off the postal abbreviation 'cola' since it is widely used..... "Cola, SC... Simply Refreshing" but I guess that's why I am not in marketing.
My guess is that most people wouldn't know that Cola is Columbia, thereby defeating the purpose of getting tourists interested in this city. I mean, I never heard "Cola" before this website, and I don't think other outsiders know it either, so if you do an ad campaign for "Cola", people are going to think, "Huh? Cola? Where's that?". But I do like the "Famously hot". I didn't even think about the weather, but of course, that ties in too! Maybe they should've done "Fabulously hot"?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
My guess is that most people wouldn't know that Cola is Columbia, thereby defeating the purpose of getting tourists interested in this city. I mean, I never heard "Cola" before this website, and I don't think other outsiders know it either, so if you do an ad campaign for "Cola", people are going to think, "Huh? Cola? Where's that?". But I do like the "Famously hot". I didn't even think about the weather, but of course, that ties in too! Maybe they should've done "Fabulously hot"?
I agree, I never heard of the term Cola, until we were in the process of moving here and I saw it on a receipt from a gas station. I do like the word fabulously better than famously for the slogan.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I like it better than the old slogan, "Where Friendliness Flows." You can play off the "hot" theme in a variety of ways, so it really works.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
I think that "Cheap Beer and Drunk College Girls" would have atracted more convention goers, but that's just me.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I think that "Cheap Beer and Drunk College Girls" would have atracted more convention goers, but that's just me.
You forgot Cold.. "Cheap Cold Beer......" remember its HOT here. You would not want the convention goers to think if they came here they would get a flat one... beer that is.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharisma View Post
Didn't see a thread for this yet, but was wondering what people thought about the new city slogan, "Famously Hot!" Sure it fits the weather, but how does it fit the culture, the economy? What does everybody think?
The South's "hot" city is Atlanta. HOTLANTA.
This new slogan seems to be a bit of a copy-cat....a bit non-original.

When you think about it, the slogan could be applied to any Southern city. Doesn't really tell me anything specific about Columbia. Sad.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
"Any Southern city" except Greenville perhaps...not surprising though.

"Hotlanta" is a hip-hop inspired nickname (NOT slogan) and isn't anything official. It certainly doesn't refer to temperatures. Atlanta's official slogan is VERY generic: "Every day is an opening day." Okaaaaayyy.........

The key word in Columbia's new slogan is "famously." For all the grief that Columbia gets for being next to hell, the new slogan actually plays off something the city is known for--at least for those that have visited, particularly during the summer months. Plus, not all slogans are meant to say anything specific about the city. Charlotte's new one is the worst: "Charlotte's got a lot."

At any rate, some people aren't going to like anything that comes out of a particular city, so what's the point? Let them plod on with their generic slogans.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 08-28-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You forgot Cold.. "Cheap Cold Beer......" remember its HOT here. You would not want the convention goers to think if they came here they would get a flat one... beer that is.
Very true!

Columbia: Cheap, Cold Beer, and Drunk College Girls!

I'm telling you, we wouldn't be able to handle the convention traffic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area