U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,391,291 times

Advertisements

This is positive news and shows promise that Sumter is heading in the right direction in terms of downtown redevelopment. The City has been pushing for market rate downtown apartments for over a decade and now it appears to be paying off. New streetscapes, downtown events, and now the arrival of Central Carolina's Tech Center will certainly boost interest in downtown housing.

Housing is critical to the success of downtown by bringing residents who can support the local businesses and to populate the area.

Downtown apartments coming - The Item - South Carolina (http://www.theitem.com/article/20091025/ITNEWS01/710259904 - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM

843 posts, read 1,733,267 times
Awesome! I love the stairway entrance in that first picture. And the prices sound great! Thanks for sharing, Woodlands.

As for the last line of the article, here's hoping we get a cigar bar...

Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Awesome! I love the stairway entrance in that first picture. And the prices sound great! Thanks for sharing, Woodlands.

As for the last line of the article, here's hoping we get a cigar bar...

I think it is only of a matter of time before that happens... getting a few students and possibly some Tuomey nurses/employees living downtown would definately assist in promoting these types of venues. I think the key for sumter is a variety of "venues" as opposed to trying to have 10 bars or 20 restaurants which will ultimately run each other out of business. Things that complement one another such as a couple of bars, a cigar bar, a few good restaurants, a coffee shop will serve downtown and each other well... in addition to a well coordinated promotional efforts where these businesses ban togehter to promote downtown as well as their own establishments.. which is clearly whats happening now with Sumter@Six and other activities.

Whats interesting is would Sumterites support their downtown? Im inclined to say maybe as opposed to a resounding "YES". By "support "I mean going downtown to eat or shop not just to attend an event or concert. I have said in previous post it seems that many in Sumter like to sleep and go to church in Sumter, but clearly seek their entertainment/shopping elsewhere...Some say that it is because there is nothing in Sumter, but I think that is a double edge sword. I wonder if some of these retailers shun Sumter because A) demographic factors such as income, unemployment, etc and B) they analyze their sales and see that they are already getting a sizable portion of the Sumter market...but not enough to justify a store here. So that just advertise extensively in mediums that cover the City and wait for the dollars to leak out and into their store in a neighboring town..likely Columbia or Florence.

Sumter's downtown is in better position, I think, than Florence . I have not been to Spartanburg, Anderson, or Rock Hill's downtowns recently.. but I know that they were putting in a lot of effort but I think they face more competition from their suburbs and surrounding jurisdictions than downtown Sumter does. Sumter is a two venue town.. there is Broad Street area and then theres... well... downtown. I guess you could count Bultman, McCrays Mill, and also Alice Drive as "destinations" but Broad Street is clearly the main drag that serves the entire city while the others may be more "neighborhood" commercial districts. Dowtown clearly has the opportunity to be a little more than a "neighborhood" commercial district but certainly less than a regional attraction such as Broad Street.. so it appears to have a niche opportunity.. since I dont see Broad Street or McCrays Mill being blocked off for street festivals and the like...

I think that once the Law Enforcement Center and the Fire Station move out to Calhoun and Lafayette.. the opportunity to bring a market rate apt downtown and/or possible a small all suites hotel with conference space will buttress the area and make it more viable. Continued programming at the Opera House,the downtown concerts, and venues that encourage artists to establish a greater presence downtown are key as well.

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-27-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM

30 posts, read 56,475 times
Hi everyone I have been looking at houses in Sumter and Dalzell SC and we found an adorable home in Dalzell. The home is located on Trent Street...does anyone know anything about that area and if so is it a nice area or an area to avoid? Any information would be helpful...thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM

PAFW, I've never been back on Trent St itself but the area should be ok because I know the very next road past Kim (which loops around Trent) is a nice neighborhood (Lee Altman, Sheridan, etc).

In additional news:

Shaw among F-35 finalists - The Item - South Carolina (http://www.theitem.com/article/20091030/ITNEWS01/710309967/-1/RSS01 - broken link)

Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 56,475 times
Thanks Ceezer!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM

I've seen the entrance sign for Patriot Park the last time I was headed down 441, but I didn't realize it was going to be another sports complex. I assumed it was going to be an office complex or industrial park, based on it's location & acknowledgement. It seems a bit out of the way & hidden to be a sports complex.

Does anyone know more about Patriot Park? I appreciate the effort Sumter has put into it's sports complexes, but was unaware that we were in need of even more. Why create an all-new complex instead of expanding upon those already in existance? I know Dillon is a little tight with the Reserve unit out front and the golf course behind it, but there's a bit of room to the west where the old RC track was and a bit on the south end where they play soccer that could be used for new/additional ball fields.

What about reviving Riley Park? That place sure could use some TLC, so why not put it to use?

Sumter's 'mini-stimulus' - The Item - South Carolina (http://www.theitem.com/article/20091105/ITNEWS01/711059892/-1/RSS01 - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I've seen the entrance sign for Patriot Park the last time I was headed down 441, but I didn't realize it was going to be another sports complex. I assumed it was going to be an office complex or industrial park, based on it's location & acknowledgement. It seems a bit out of the way & hidden to be a sports complex.

Does anyone know more about Patriot Park? I appreciate the effort Sumter has put into it's sports complexes, but was unaware that we were in need of even more. Why create an all-new complex instead of expanding upon those already in existance? I know Dillon is a little tight with the Reserve unit out front and the golf course behind it, but there's a bit of room to the west where the old RC track was and a bit on the south end where they play soccer that could be used for new/additional ball fields.

What about reviving Riley Park? That place sure could use some TLC, so why not put it to use?

Sumter's 'mini-stimulus' - The Item - South Carolina (http://www.theitem.com/article/20091105/ITNEWS01/711059892/-1/RSS01 - broken link)
Good question... I would guess that Patriot Park, though certainly for Sumterites, is more geared to attract tournaments and tourists to the City. It is out on the westside closer to hotels, restaurants, etc and thus making it a easy sell for those type of sporting events. Dillon.. given the site restrictions that you mentioned and its location.. may not be as appealing..this is just my guess.

i agree that Riley needs to be revived.. but It suffers from the same "location crisis" as Dillon Park. I wish that Morris College would sponsor some baseball tournaments with some of the other HBCUs at Riley.. some semi annual event that draws in other HBCUs there could justify spending some funds on the facility. Ultimately, I would love for Morris to get a football team and build the program up where they could possibly build a stadium next to Riley and have a intown sports complex.. If the City would lease the stadium to Morris (they may already allow Morris to use it for baseball/softball) but a more formal arrangement may allow the college to put some money towards the improvements..The College would also have to agree to allow those current users to continue to use the facility. though I am not sure what other teams use it now. Other things like outdoor concerts should be allowed at the facility as well in order to diversify its uses and make the site more viable.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Oh, how I'd love to to have a local football program to watch foster and grow! That would bring a whole new spirit to Sumter Saturday nights (as long as we could keep it from becoming an attractor to trouble & mischief... and drive-bys (I had to say it! ))!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Oh, how I'd love to to have a local football program to watch foster and grow! That would bring a whole new spirit to Sumter Saturday nights (as long as we could keep it from becoming an attractor to trouble & mischief... and drive-bys (I had to say it! ))!

Indeed.. I reading The Item sometimes because of all the criminal activity that is occuring in the community... What's surprising is that Sumter's crime rate, from what I have read, is lower than Florence....which is somewhat surprising. Granted the Florence "metro" is slightly more populated than Sumter's so you can get into the Stats and percentages.. but I would have thought that the economy there.. versus Sumters was performing slightly better in terms of unemployment etc that would keep crime lower.. though just because your economy is better doesnt mean that your crime will always be lower...One could argue folks up there have more money so the thieves are more prone to try and take it versus a place where everybody is broke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area