U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM

3,363 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Is there a homeless shelter in Sumter... I know Libraries around the country always grapple with homeless using their facilities to "hang out".. .but they are public facilities and homeless folks are very public....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Default ....meanwhile in other news....

Teen shot to death during Sumter home invasion - State & Regional - Wire - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/11/1855208/teen-shot-to-death-during-sumter.html#disqus_thread - broken link)

Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 AM

843 posts, read 1,705,375 times
I normally don't get excited about fast food, but my ex-wife tells me that the new construction next to Chick-Fil-A (which I was hoping would be a Starbucks/etc) is going to be a Cook Out. That's pretty dang cool, especially since nobody else has 'em around here yet! Not only do I like Cook Out, but now I have somewhere to get a BBQ sandwich (it's one of their menu items, if you're unfamiliar with it)!

But I thought of something else Sumter is lacking (other than a bookstore & quick-stop coffee, and maybe a DD): country-style buffet. I'm not talking Golden Corral; I mean like Roger's (Florence), Southern Skillet (Cola), Vegetable Medley (Lexington), etc. Where the selection is smaller and limited to allow them to focus on quality

Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM

124 posts, read 136,670 times
Huh....I thought that was another used car lot, since it seems to be on the dealership property. btw, HOT ENOUGH FOR YA????

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 766 times
We are contemplating the move from Ohio to Sumter. I would like an honest opinion of what neighborhoods to look at buying a home. We have heard that there is good and bad. During a search, one particular house stood out on Cherryvale Lake dr. have seen posts of Cherryvale being one of the not so good neighborhoods. Just looking for some friendly advice, Thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Buckeye View Post
We are contemplating the move from Ohio to Sumter. I would like an honest opinion of what neighborhoods to look at buying a home. We have heard that there is good and bad. During a search, one particular house stood out on Cherryvale Lake dr. have seen posts of Cherryvale being one of the not so good neighborhoods. Just looking for some friendly advice, Thanks

You should probably post more information on your criteria.. Size home desired, type of home/neighborhood you are looking for.. Do you want to be near shopping/work... Do you have school age kids and are schools an issue for you... etc. Since you referenced Cherryvale specifically, I can say that historically Cherryvale has been a predominately a rental community that provided low cost housing (often via mobile homes) for USAF personnel. Now that apartments and housing options are more plentiful both on and off base... the area has fallen out of favor with many in the USAF leaving some areas/properties open to simply become low income rental housing.. some good.. some not so much. Cherryvale also is along 378 which in section near Cherryvale are dominated by some sub par retail outlets and occasionally by a problemed night club or two... If you are in the USAF.. I would check with the on base housing folks for other options for off base housing..Or you can contact any Realtor from an online search to get more details on neighborhoods... post of few on here with specific questions and I am sure you will get some feedback...

Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM

too bad that post was from over a year ago. I've been working regularly painting in Hunter's Crossing and several other neighborhoods owned by our wonderful Air Force and Army families. What a treat for me to do what I can for these folks. Especially happy to have worked for 2 families who were connected with me from this site over 3 years ago. Let's keep things current here. I know this board was very informative when we were thinking of moving to this area..lets see what we can do to help others with the same plans. pd

Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM

8 posts, read 5,516 times
If you have been offered a job teaching in sumter and want to live in columbia you have to take into consideration the amount of traffic every morning you will be fighting just to get to work on time. And as someone that use to commute from sumter to columbia in the early AM...no ammount of coffee kept my sanity on the roads and i stayed stressed out. I eventually quite my job in columbia and i work in sumter now on the base! Don't let everyones judgement of sumter make you stray. I live in a neighborhood just behind the base that allows me to leave my car windows down all day and all night without a worry, and some of the best people i know live here. Give it a try and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,399 times
Default I wouldn't move there.

I've lived in Sumter for 8 years and have to say it is one of the most boring towns there is. The crime rate is climbing but there are good neighborhoods to live in. The better neighborhoods are around and behind Sumter High and Alice Drive. They say it is becoming more of a retirement town but from what I see the city is trying to build up the town, bringing in new restaurants. Wish you the best.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 PM

interesting that you've lived here for 8 years and have misidentified the better neighborhoods in the area. I think you'll find the more upscale hoods are off wise between loring mill and alice drive...deerfield, the oaks etc and loring mill itself...idelwilde etc. The areas where many of my airforce clients live are in Hunters Run, Trailwinds, meadowcroft etc., which are more affordable, but friendly and youth oriented. The crime rates are bad in the places that are older and in bad shape, just like any other town. Most neighborhoods are multi racial and tidy. While it's not my favorite place to live and I've lived in several towns in several states, it's certainly not a bad place to live. The public schools provide a high level of instruction with coursework available to those who seek it. There is trouble in certain schools like anywhere else and for those with lots of dough and a bent for white's mostly there are plenty of "private" schools. Let's talk turkey here. As with most places it is what you make of it. If you're looking for lots to do and upscale shopping , clubs, cultural entertainment etc; well, this aint it. But then again this is South Carolina which if you're not in Charleston is certainly lacking. pd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area