Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverkitty View Post
hi all, been a silent reader for a while. from the map and what ive been reading, it seems to me that Columbia is a bit similar to Brisbane City (in Queensland Australia) where I used to study. There's the big river and a big uni campus in the city/downtown, so i'm excited about our upcoming move to Columbia.

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to columbia in the next few weeks. have looked at a few areas, so would like to know what are the neighbourhoods to avoid (ie safety/crime rates). Also, any recommendations on apartments? He is going to be working at Ft Jackson so would like to find a place that's about 5-10 miles away from the base. thanks for your help!
The sand-yellow and orange colours and a Mediterranean theme in local architecture seems to match well for the area and looks and feels good. I hope for more buildings like that, including private homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 9,790 times
@akh in Charlotte: yes, Columbia has an amazing array of cultural offerings for a city its size. The State Museum is excellent. And yes, the Congaree National Forest is great! People rail against South Carolina, but behind that "backward" facade SC is entrepreneurial and creative. Columbia is thinking about growth but trying to go about it in a controlled fashion. The excellent roads around Columbia make rush hour a lot less painful I-77 around Charlotte! And in SC people value history. People want progress, just not at the price of trashing all the history.

Charlotte's growth has been impressive and it is a more sophisticated city than it was some years ago. That's the result of vision, carried out with success. Now of course the banking-based economy is hurting, but the mayor of Charlotte has some good ideas about diversifying. Mayor Foxx's focus on energy shows that he is thinking long-term and not bogged down with partisan political bickering and that can only be good for Charlotte.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

@woodlands, the Charleston Amtrak station is in the middle of nowhere, that's why you've heard grumblings. I agree with you, we need train service! One of the recent candidates for governor was advocating high-speed rail throughout SC. I think that was a good idea, even better would be to connect to other business centers like Charlotte and Atlanta (and Miami and the Northeast Corridor) via high-speed train and slower train through the smaller towns. That will make for a great alternative to commuting by car, and the driving you do go on becomes more of a treat than a chore.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM

@4big - I hope you got to leave Vegas for Columbia before the mortgage meltdown went over the cliff. From these postings, you'd think that people here obsess over race, but I don't think so. I went to USC and liked living in Columbia, there were lots of interesting family-owned restaurants with international foods. I don't know much about a Jewish scene in Columbia, but with your Puerto Rican heritage there is a Latin American group in Columbia that is very active in cultural events (festival, foods, cultural events, most of them family-oriented).

Last edited by grandiflora; 11-13-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: sentence piece was missing

Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
^As a matter of fact there was a Jewish Food Festival this past weekend. There are 3 synagogues and a large Jewish Community Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area