Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM

74 posts, read 223,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Its pretty much futile, in South Carolina if it happens in Columbia then it just doesn't count. Take for instance Lake Murray, "doesn't count", Largest childrens Museum in the southeast "nope doesn't count now if it were at the beach then it would be a real childrens museum cause you know its at the beach", Congaree National Park "not good enough now if it were in NC, or VA then it would be a real national park", MSA population "Columbia cheated its really smaller", states only fortune 500 company "nope that doesn't count either". Well that's it. If only we could get validation that,....that,.... you know that would really be something special! I think I'll stand in downtown Charlotte next week on my way home and collect Columbia validation signatures and then ride a white stallion down to Columbia showering the poor fools with authentication notes from the great foreigners from beyond.
Wow, that was good stuff!

I think the question Columbians need to ask themselves then is; why does this city somehow not equal the sum of it's parts? What's missing here? Because there apparantly have been lots of others who have taken away the same impression.

BTW; been to EdVenture and we found it just mildly interesting. Aside from "Eddie" the gargantuan grade schooler, which is the centerpiece of the exhibit, much of the rest is kind of ho-hum. Discovery Place in downtown Charlotte is much, much better and well worth the trip.

Quote:
Of course the South Carolina State Museum in Columbia is still one of the largest museums in the Southeastern United States with 98,000 square feet of exhibits.
True dat. The Napolean exhibit last year was actually something worth seeing.

Quote:
Ooo, I know why don't we just start a Columbia hate thread. Then that way if anyone wants to look up why Columbia is such a horrible place to live they can just go to one resource and we can cut out all this foolishness?
No, this is the "Columbia's a Mediocre Place To Live" thread. Nobody here said it was horrible.
Quote:
Sorry I got here late were not done playing are we?
I know I said I was done, but I jes can't hep mahsef (as James Brown put so well). This place is addicting - and fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

543 posts, read 2,357,791 times
HOPDUDE,

Now you have done it, you have done it, you have done it, you have done it!

You can talk smack about Columbia all you want but how dare you talk smack about my beloved Gamecocks?! LOL!
We have had many losses and many wins but a team is a team no matter what. It's college football and not the NFL! Win or loose, who cares? It's the spirit that keeps our team alive. Without the fans, the players would not have a support system to encourage them when things are bad.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM

146 posts, read 519,505 times
If there is aynthing a Yankee transplant can add....

Moved to Columbia from Hartford, CT, wherre I was born and raised. For me I like the geographical location of Columbia as it is essentially in the middle of the state, like is Hartford and has GREAT access to major interstates, I-20 & I-77. Columbia definately seems much quieter (some call it boring) in comparison to other locations. To this I will agree, but at the same time there are other positives. Cost of living is MUCH lower than most other locations, and the weather here is GREAT! Also, if you need access to a mojor city, Charlotte is the closed metropolitan region within an hour's grasp.

Only complaint that I have so far, specifically in NE Cola, are the availability of moderate, quality built homes for a reasonable price. There are more and more "house farms" as I refer to them that keep cropping up. No property and you are stuck with an HOA. There is plenty of land here, specifically Blythewood.
I do not see a reason why builders cannot establish residences with a decent sized lot at least .3 - 1 acres of land, with a home in the size of 1700 - 2200sq ft. That gives you room to (i.e. build a nice sized garage, etc...) without an HOA in the neighborhood of $200k.

If you do find a home in this price point then it is in a community, such as Lake Carolina. Most likely the build quailty is poor (as I've seen here in the past 3 years) and/or you are stuck with an HOA somewhere.

Any place you live is what you make of it. Virtually anything you want or need (store/product wise) is available in Richland County, which is essentially Columbia. Works for me

Old 08-06-2008, 05:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDude View Post
I think the question Columbians need to ask themselves then is; why does this city somehow not equal the sum of it's parts? What's missing here? Because there apparantly have been lots of others who have taken away the same impression.
Part of it is due to the short-sightedness of state government. Part of it is due to the short-sightedness, and sometimes bad decision-making, of local government.

Quote:
BTW; been to EdVenture and we found it just mildly interesting. Aside from "Eddie" the gargantuan grade schooler, which is the centerpiece of the exhibit, much of the rest is kind of ho-hum. Discovery Place in downtown Charlotte is much, much better and well worth the trip.
Discovery Place is a great venue, but that's hardly an apples-to-apples comparison with EdVenture. Discovery Place is basically a natural history museum with special exhibits (Dead Sea Scrolls, Pompeii, etc.), a nature center, a kids center, and an IMAX all rolled into one, while EdVenture is exclusively a children's museum. Roughly, Discovery Place = State Museum + EdVenture.

But I think the point of bringing up EdVenture is that it's a pretty noteworthy accomplishment to have the South's largest children's museum located in a city/metro area the size of Columbia, not that a significantly faster-growing metro, twice Columbia's size, has something better. There aren't many comparable museums of this type in other similarly-sized regional metro areas. You could also say the same for Riverbanks Zoo which receives lots of compliments. The Columbia Museum of Art isn't exactly the Guggenheim, but it also receives good reviews. The Congaree National Park, one of 47 international biosphere reserves in the U.S., is the last forest of its kind on the continent. Again, you could mention another city or metro area that's two to three times Columbia's size and say, "But so-and-so has this-and-that," but that would still be besides the point. These are notable things for a relatively sleepy, midsized Southern metro area to have and they represent progress that has already been made.

I guess this simply boils down to my preference to look at the glass as half full while others choose to see it as half empty. To each his own.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
Where does everyone get those palmetto tree decals that I see on everyones car?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM

146 posts, read 519,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8iv View Post
Where does everyone get those palmetto tree decals that I see on everyones car?

Walgreens, etc... There are also some small stores in the mall that will have such items.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM

658 posts, read 1,886,347 times
Palmetto Promotions has them. Mine is Orange..got it in Clemson...

Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDude View Post
I knew I was going to take flak for this post - especially the Gamecock comment! That might of been a cheap shot, sorry.

Okay, before I get royally flamed here let me cover some things I LOVE about living in South Carolina...

1. Low cost of living - I never coulda bought this house in CA
2. Really nice people - a little distant, but awfully friendly
3. Great weather - a little buggy and humid, but mostly good
4. Close to mountains, close to beaches
5. Politics - A Governor who vetoes stupid legislation like cigarette taxes
6. Politics - Jim DeMint (nuff said)
7. BarBQ - Shealy's rocks and Maurices is pretty good too
8. The Vista - Liberty's a great watering hole
9. Family friendly - everybody loves kids here
10. Riverbanks Zoo - Year round pass is the best deal in town
11. Cheapest Gas In the Country!
12. Lots of American flags
13. Lots of Confederate battle flags (it isn't a race thing)
14. Real Americans who speak English (or some variation of it)
15. No graffiti anywhere

Okay, that's it. You guys are right. We love it here!

Can someone please just help us find a decent Chinese joint?

Thanks!
those are the things you will hate in 7 years,Its like a marriage!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM

74 posts, read 223,849 times
Probably true. LOL.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 PM

292 posts, read 822,945 times
Well Roy King....the truth is that while Columbia isn't special to you....maybe it is to those who care and take pride in it.

If you don't like the city....move....it's really that simple...and if you can't afford to move...gas up your vehicle and travel...but don't act like we are dillusional for loving the place we are from or call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area