Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM

146 posts, read 520,096 times

Advertisements

folks, I'm trying to learn how to properly / sufficiently maintain my lawn without becoming a fanatic. My residence is in NE Cola, near the Lake Carolina community. The grass is of some of the finest "Bermuda" that the builder could buy (sarcasm). My front yard is not bad, pretty green with the normal use of Scotts fertilizer. I have applied the same technique to the backyard, but not as successful. I have some areas where there is just sand and has moss growing on the sand. I take this as the soil lacking or in too great an abundance of something.

Any thoughts? Approx. 1 month prior I had spread some pelletized limestone from Home Depot, with no noticeable difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM

658 posts, read 1,888,358 times
One thing I did that really helped my yard was buy some of that grass that grows really quickly but then dies in maybe a month. I think it is rye grass. I put that down in the bare spots because I noticed nothing was holding any soil in place. After the rye grass sprouted, and the soil was held in place the bermuda was able to grow in. It really helped out. I just raked the bare spots a little to get the soil mixed and then put some rye grass seeds down...cheap and worked well.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM

10,912 posts, read 21,880,281 times
I didn't know what I was doing on my first house and mixed grass types without knowing what the results would be. In retrospect I would have asked a landscaper for advice. Even though it may have cost a few bucks up front I'd have had a much nicer yard for probably less than the money and time I put in the long run. I hope my bad experience helps you out. If you want the guy I use now just pm me. Otherwise, best of luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,501,897 times
After having re-seeded my yard several times with limited success, I would recommend sod over seed, especially if you have a brown thumb like I do. Also, Bermuda does best in full sun; that might be the problem in your back yard.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,465 times
If you need some additional help, please visit [url]http://www.TurfGal.com[/url]
This is a site geared towards homeowners that like to garden and landscape. There are several things that could be happening in your back yard, and without more specifics, the possibilities are endless.

Last edited by TurfGal; 10-11-2008 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: link appeared wrong

Old 10-12-2008, 04:17 PM

316 posts, read 973,165 times
I have Bermuda in my yard, and I put down Scott's Turf Builder about twice a year and water the lawn three or four times a week and it usually looks pretty good.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,380,779 times
Unfortunately for me, bahaia, the two pronged devil, has pretty much decimated the centipede in both yards. I think I'm going to have to resod the front yard, eventually. I thought about putting down bermuda seed, but I've heard its pretty invasive.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:05 PM

549 posts, read 1,735,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michakaveli View Post
folks, I'm trying to learn how to properly / sufficiently maintain my lawn without becoming a fanatic.
Ha ha ha! It's nearly impossible to care for your yard without becoming a fanatic. "Yardening" tends to grow on you (pun intended).

Anyhow, the first thing that you need to do is contact Clemson extension and send off a soil sample for analysis. The results will let you know what, if anything, you need to do to amend your soil before planting more bermuda next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area