Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 PM

48 posts, read 170,785 times

Advertisements

Hi again!
In spite of the long commute, we're now interested in living in Columbia and commuting to Shaw. Mainly this is because I'm interested in two elementary schools in the Forest Acres area, Brockman Elementary and Satchel Ford Elementary. When I do the math, it would cost less in gas to commute than to pay $5,000/yr for private school. (Although I'm still looking into the two elementary schools near Shaw that you've all spoken so highly of). I just like the idea of being in Columbia, with all of the cultural, shopping, and other conveniences. And I might try to work on my graduate degree, so I'd like to be near the university.

Anyway...I'm trying to find rentals and/or homes for sale specifically in Forest Acres, to get an idea of expenses. Are there any areas that should be avoided? (In another thread someone mentioned an area to stay away from but didn't say what it was). Also, do you think it's possible to rent 3BR for around $1000/month in this area, or buy something around $160,000?

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 PM

316 posts, read 972,871 times
It would be possible to buy or rent there in that price range. You will just have to do a little digging to find a good deal. How big of a home are you in search of. The larger houses that have been upgraded there, will likely be above the $160,000 orice range, but there are some nice ones on the market. I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about the rental situation there, but I'm sure you could find something that would work for you.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 PM

48 posts, read 170,785 times
Hi,
We need 3BR, 2BA, with a family room or bonus room if possible (we need the storage space!) I'd like to live in a newer home whether I buy or rent, with central air. Any suggestions where I can begin my research? Also, do you know if there's a way I can narrow my search to the Brockman and Satchel Ford school districts? And are there any areas to avoid? Thanks

Old 10-04-2008, 04:14 AM

843 posts, read 2,739,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmusaf View Post
When I do the math, it would cost less in gas to commute than to pay $5,000/yr for private school.
Maybe. In my little 4cyl Subaru it costs me $500/mo *from* Shaw *to* Columbia (right by Forrest Acres). So depending on what you drive, it could cost about the same or much, much more (my wife's Tahoe would run me $833/mo to make that same commute, so that's $10k/yr).

Not to try and sway you back towards Sumter, but I've not heard anything regarding Columbia schools that indicate they're any better. In fact, I have a couple of picky friends that work for the school systems up there and they say there's only 1 they would send their kids to. Unfortunately, I forget which they said but I'll see if I can find out.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,495,152 times
There aren't any parts of Forest Acres that would need to be avoided; you should easily be able to find something in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area