Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
That's interesting. Because I just looked at the Greenville City stats page and it shows 34.2%. A large portion of Greenville county doesn't even contain Greenville (check out any county/state map). Columbia City stats show a mere 35.7%, which judging by the 1-2% margin of error, the two are essentially the same.

Greenville (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I was comparing the 2 counties, which are the figures I posted.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/45/45045.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM

187 posts, read 980,149 times
Keep in mind half the lake is 20-30 minutes from a town (Chapin or Lexington). That is too rural for my blood but it is also where you will find less expensive waterfront property.

The lake itself is very nice with decent water quality. Other than the potential driving time to a real town, spiders are the biggest issue I can think of. They love building webs on and between docks, stair railings, decks, etc. You can knock them down in the morning and they will return late evening, but I suppose this is true at most lakes.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
Keep in mind half the lake is 20-30 minutes from a town (Chapin or Lexington). That is too rural for my blood but it is also where you will find less expensive waterfront property.

The lake itself is very nice with decent water quality. Other than the potential driving time to a real town, spiders are the biggest issue I can think of. They love building webs on and between docks, stair railings, decks, etc. You can knock them down in the morning and they will return late evening, but I suppose this is true at most lakes.
While Lake Murray is about 20 minutes from downtown Columbia, Irmo, Lexington and Chapin are basically adjacent to the lake and stores, etc. can be reached in 5 to 10 minutes from most parts of the lake. The only parts of Lake Murray that are rural are the far western parts of the lake.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM

316 posts, read 975,616 times
There are parts of Lake Murray that are quite rural, but remember that it is a very big lake. Most of it as we think of Lake Murray is close to shopping and Dinning. It's also not extremely far from the down town area, there are many people who live on Lake Murray and work in town. During rush hour though, there is a lot of traffic headed into town and then back out in the afternoon.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,001 times
Concerning overcrowding on the lake and rude college kids....

I have lived on Lake Murray for over 16 years and I have lived at one end and then the other. Living on the lake is like living anywhere else---there are always tradeoffs. During the peak summer time from June to August, yes the lake is more crowded, but not nearly as crowded as some of our neighboring states--ie Lake Norman. Those times are confined to Saturday and Sunday. By say 5:00pm Sunday the lake is getting back to what I consider normal. During the week, it is a quiet lake. This is the time we go out boating. I step outside to go swimming and boating at a moments notice. There is nothing like getting in the boat at the end of the day for a brief ride or to watch the sunset. During the months from September to May it is very quiet, a boat here and there.
It might be worth renting a place on the lake before you decide if you are really serious about lake living. I can also say from experience that real estate on Lake Murray is a fabulous investment!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 PM

32 posts, read 104,409 times
What can you tell me about the real estate market right now on lakefront properties? For the size we're looking at, prices don't seem to be coming down much. Also, what's the real story on the humidity? I spent last summer in Atlanta and it was really hot and a bit humid. But after having spent 16 years in the tropics, I'd really like to have that nip in the air and be able to wear a few sweaters!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Just an observation.

I haven't been on this forum in a long time, and thought I'd drop by to see what's new. Coincidentally, the first thread I get on is a new discussion about Columbia vs Greenville ... so nothing has changed!

World Citizens, you will find that this is an ongoing debate. I don't know why people from the Greenville board always come here to say it's much nice than Columbia, but that seems to be common.

Sorry, I'm just a visitor who has considered moving to SC for over a year, so I can't offer any information based on personal experience. However, my research shows that the Upstate is more conservative, although SC in general is a "red" state as you can see from the polls. Coming from the Northeast, I don't know if I can handle a place more Republican than Florida, although I generally keep my opinions to myself.

Edit: Just to be clear. When I said "I generally keep my opinions to myself" I wasn't talking about internet boards. LOL

Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizens View Post
What can you tell me about the real estate market right now on lakefront properties? For the size we're looking at, prices don't seem to be coming down much. Also, what's the real story on the humidity? I spent last summer in Atlanta and it was really hot and a bit humid. But after having spent 16 years in the tropics, I'd really like to have that nip in the air and be able to wear a few sweaters!
Their is a lot of standing inventory on the lake. Prices have decreased slightly but where the change is noticeable isn't list price but rather sales price and average days on market. Sale prices have declined and they are taking longer to sell but there are some stubborn sellers on the lake that are holding our for their price. What side of the lake are you looking at?

It is humid here, but you'll probably think it mild coming from the tropics.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizens View Post
But after having spent 16 years in the tropics, I'd really like to have that nip in the air and be able to wear a few sweaters!

^^speaking of nip in the air, I am watching snow flurries blown around right now, with our wind chill in the 20's. Can't wait until winter hits us up here! So while some may look forward to "sweater weather"; personally I already miss tee/shorts weather......

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
I'd be great to hear from someone who actually lives at Lake Murray. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area