Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 24,248 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm a relatively recent college grad who is looking to buy a house downtown. I rented an apartment in Shandon for a couple of years and absolutely fell in love with the neighborhood. Recently I found an adorable house on the edge of Shandon. It's a cute older home built in 1940 that's close to grad school and my job and is only in my price range due to this extreme buyers' market.

The problem is that it's a few blocks away from MLK park. My real question is, how safe of an area is Cypress St? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some people say it's not bad and others say stay far away. I currently live by Dutch Square Mall, which some consider to be a very crime-ridden and sketchy area, but I've never had any problems. While I lived in Shandon on South Edisto I had my car window shot out with a BB gun and my side view mirror knocked off, both minor incidents in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 PM

316 posts, read 972,521 times
I know people who live in Shandon and they have never had any problems. However, I have never lived there so I can't give you any personal references. Where you're speaking of sounds more like Olde Shandon than Sandon as we think of it. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you more.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,487,030 times
Elle, Cypress Street is in Old Shandon and is certainly not quite as desirable as Shandon proper, but it is certainly less expensive. Whenever I want to know how a particular block or neighborhood is, I drive through late on a Saturday night. You may also want to check with the CPD.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,734,780 times
Old Shandon /= Shandon. I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM

658 posts, read 1,887,024 times
The closer you get to Cherry St the worse it gets, and the closer you get to the home plate of the MLK softball field the worse it gets. I have had plenty of friends that have lived Meadow, Lee, and Preston and had minimal problems. Still, common sense comes into play. I lived on College St on the other side of MLK, and the only problem I really had was my car getting broken into. But, I also had that happen at my house on Wheat St in Shandon. I believe the State paper online has a crime map, and I know you can get one for a mile radius of an address at the police department - that would give you an idea of the kinds of crime going on.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 24,248 times
Thanks for your advice! I think I'm going to pass on the house. Besides, for the condition that the house is in the asking price is way too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area