U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2006, 07:47 AM

38 posts, read 189,113 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if this is a nice place to raise kids in lexington sc? Is there much to do for fun? What is the city of columbia like. I have seen charlotte nc and atlanta ga areas but not columbia. Is there any comparison to the other big citys of charlotte and atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Yes, Lexington and Columbia are nice places to live. Lexington is growing very fast. Greater Columbia is about 1/4 the size of Charlotte. Atlanta is enormous, bigger than Charlotte or Columbia.

Try reading some of the other threads on the SC board. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at some length.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 26,969 times
Hello Tich, As for the question about Lexington and Columbia I hope that I can help out some. I have Lived in the Columbia area for about 8 years. We live in a town on the outskirts of Columbia called Cayce. If I had my choice we would be living in the Lexington area, the schools are better as well as the people are too. In the Columbia area you have USC which is the big college here. So you have to put up with a lot of college kids and the fast driving and drinking they do here. I use to work at a bowling center in Cayce and I swear the biggest thing the college kids could do was to see who could out drink who. It was never a week-end that did not go buy that we would not as least have 2-4 people fall out from drinking and get into a fight and they would wind up in jail. And I know that its all over but underage drinking is sky high. The cost of living is high here and property is expensive too. We have a lot of spanish people here in this area. On my block alone we have 4 familly's that live here and in one little two bedroom house there are 12 people living in it. They sell fruit and veg's at the Flea Market on the week-ends and all during the week we have their trucks sitting out in their yard full of rotting fruit and all it does is stink and draw flies. I don't know how many times the police have been to their homes to tell them to clean up or else, but it does no good. I have nothing against spanish people because my step-father was spanish but some of them here just don't care and they are rude and think that we owe them to live here. Up town Columbia is pretty but just a lot of bulidings. We have major little resturants and bars in the uptown area. We have a place called Five Points in the middle of Columbia and it is mainly for the College kids. There are a few clothing stores there and most of the rest or bar's. They can hang out there and listen to music, but it gets so full they seem to bust of the walls of the hang outs. It intresting to go down there and look and see all of the different kinds of places they have there and all of the different foods too. Columbia is a large area and there are good areas as well as bad areas. We have our projects here and there are some areas you do not go to and you stay away from at dark. Its on all race's side here, no matter the color or religion, you just have to be careful where you go. To me Columbia is a college town and its filled with more up to do people. We have many lawyers and high class workers here. Sort of stuck up people. We have lived on our block 7 years and only know three of our neighbors, the others do not come out to talk to you. They stay in their yards or homes and that's it. Now Lexington is a nicer area. I drive my 1 son and 2 grandaughters to school that is about 12 miles from my home that is in Lexington. Saxa Gotha Elementary in Lexington, it is a very good school and the kids love going there. The teachers are great and they work with you in all areas. I don't like the schools in and around Columbia. Lexington is a large area but the people are more friendier and they have nice areas to live in. To me its just a better place to raise a family. We are tring to move to North Carolina and get out of South Carolina or if we can't we will be looking for houseing in the Lexinton area. I'm not saying that all of South Carolina or Columbia is bad since you have good and bad in any state that you live in, its just that you have to look around and decide on what are you like and on the job market too. Both areas have employment but the Columbia area has more of the up scale jobs. But you can always live in Lexington and drive to Columbia which is about 15 miles away. The only thing is driving on our interstates it is crowed early in the morning and around 5:00 p.m. and sorry to say but they do not drive careful here. And god forbid it rains here, the accidents we have on our highways. Its seems every morning there are at least 5-6 finder benders on the roads here, it never fails. So just keep an eye out when you driving and never take your eyes off of the road or else you might be on the radio as one of our fender benders. If I can answer any other questions you might have just ask and I will see what I can do. Oh for things for kids we have 4 or more rolling skating rinks and a very large Ice rink that is quite neat and we have a zoo and a childrens museum too. We have quite a few parks for them to play in and a couple of pools too. There are always some sports going on, but they range from 75.00-125.00 for a child to join in them. I hope this helps out some. Take care and good luck on your move.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 10,876 times
I'm 14 and have lived in Lexington all my life. Lexington is very fast-growing. People say the schools are bad. They really aren't. The new Pleasant Hill schools are great! There isn't a whole lot for fun around here except the movies, shopping, and food. The Columbia area has a bit more: the state museum, Edventure, the mall, the zoo (phenomonal), and the state fair in the fall. I love living here. I think once i'm able to drive it'll be even better because i can meet up with friends a lot easier. I will say that the housing market is great for buyers but not so great for sellers. there are a bundle of great subdivisions in the area too.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM

221 posts, read 938,097 times
The original posts are nearly 2 years old...

Old 06-15-2008, 10:23 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,214,549 times
Lol

Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,669 times
Smile any suggestions about a good elementary school in this area 29210

hi I'm moving to the area of Columbia South Carolina area code 29210 I had already running a home in a really nice neighborhood and realize the schools ratings are horrible 0 stars 2 maybe one or two I'm wondering if there's open enrollment I can choose another elementary school for my 10 year old daughter any suggestions please very concerned will be moving soon in the next week or two? We are moving from Maryland witch my daughter in a 5 star school. Thanks any suggestion will greatly be appreciated☺🙆

Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,166,308 times
^29210 is the St. Andrews area of Columbia. The schools there are not known as the best in the area, but you get out what you put into them. If you're concerned about schools, there are other parts of town where they are good. What area will you be working in?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 AM

83 posts, read 95,773 times
How do you find an 8 year old thread among the google blackhole? @_@
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or