Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well I would certainly hope Columbia has more GDP than Greenville, after all, Columbia's population is almost double Greenville's.....Columbia is a MUCH larger city.
Looking at it from that respect, Columbia's GDP should be much larger....it should be almost double Greenville's but unforunately it isn't....it is just 3.8 billion larger. That says more about Columbia's failure and Greenville's agressiveness to me.
Come on, you and I both know that a city's GDP is more about the metro area than it is about the city proper. Thousands of folks who live outside of city limits work inside the city limits, and as you have already stated in previous posts, Greenville-Spartanburg's metro is larger than Columbia's.

The bottom line is, Greenville & Columbia are both great places to call home for different reasons. People need to check them out and spend a few days in each to find which one suits them best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Come on, you and I both know that a city's GDP is more about the metro area than it is about the city proper. Thousands of folks who live outside of city limits work inside the city limits, and as you have already stated in previous posts, Greenville-Spartanburg's metro is larger than Columbia's.
OK, well now you bring in Spartanburg. The GDP quoted by Sandlapper was just Greenville. Spartanburg and Anderson have their own GDP. Spartanburg and Anderson are not part of Greenville's current metro definition, so either we make a fair comparison or not. If we want to go by your Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson definition for the metro, then the GDP is 36.9 Quite a bit larger than Columbia's.

Last edited by gsupstate; 01-08-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
OK, well now you bring in Spartanburg. The GDP quoted by Sandlapper was just Greenville. Add Spartanburg and Anderson and the GDP is MUCH larger than Columbia's. But Spartanburg and Anderson are not part of Greenville's current metro definition, so either we make a fair comparison or not.
Ok, back out Spartanburg & Anderson:

Greenville-Mauldin-Easley Metropolitan Area (MSA) has a population of 601,986, Columbia's MSA 716,080; roughly 15% larger than Greenville's.

Columbia's GDP-$26.3 billion, Greenville's GDP - $22.5 billion; roughly 15% larger.

So it's not double, it's basically the same based on the ratio.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Looking at it from the MSA perspective, Columbia has the highest GDP. Looking at it from the CSA perspective, Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson has the highest GDP. Don't know about individual cities, but I doubt whether that figure is even used since municipal limits are about as arbitrary as you can get.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Lived in Florence for several years and in Columbia..I prefer Columbia because it is a larger city and has most of the amenities of a major city though on a smaller scale.. I would take Greenville second, but I have to admit I have only visited there, never have lived there. One of the positive things that I did enjoy about Florence other than being able to easily navigate in a smaller community was it has its airport.. Its probably is the easiest airport to get in and out of in the State. You literally can park your car, check in and go through security in less than 30 minutes..

Incidentally, I read a Morgan Quitno report that said that Florence was the fifth most dangerous Metro in the US followed by Myrtle Beach?????? I may be able to understand Myrtle Beach but FLORENCE??? Other staggering SC Stats were Sumter came in at 24th most dangerous metroand North Charleston was 5th for cities between 75K and 99K..Some of you data crunchers and wonks may be able to help me digest this a little better but I can tell you that there are two things that make a Mayor neverous.. the US Census Report(population decline) and Morgan Quitno's "Most Dangerous"

Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 30,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs4me View Post
Of these three areas, which is the nicest? Of course everyone has their own opinions, but as far as; less humidity (if any difference actually exists), better high school, low crime, warmer/mild winter. Which area (& surounding area within ~20 min commute) would be a better place to live. My husband's company has three branches is those areas. [Shop road, Columbia; West Lucas Street, Florence; Pelham Road, Greenville. ] I look forward to reading your opinions. Thanks
I moved to Columbia from Michigan and I travel the entire state for my job. I personally prefer Greenville over Columbia and had I known what I know now I would have moved to Greenville instead of Columbia. I prefer Greenville because it reminds me of a "big city". It is very modern, diverse, and has activities geared towards people of all ages.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 PM

272 posts, read 729,913 times
I went to college on the edge of Greenville (Furman University) and it wasn't much then, but boy they've come a long way since then. Much nicer downtown than Columbia, and just a half hour to the mountains.

I'd go for Greenville. Very good schools too.

Florence just doesn't have much going for it. Another victim of the demise of small agriculture.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM

21 posts, read 51,190 times
Being from Greenville and now relocating to Columbia, I must put in my two cents... Greenville has a much better quality of life... Who cares how big the city is, they are average cities, one a capital and the other just a city. Greenville is closer to Ashville, NC and GA both of which offer many things to do... I would use Greenville any day over Columbia but family matters take me to Columbia - YUCK

Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Columbia isn't bad, but I like Greenville more. Greenville just seems to offer more whether it be in terms of outdoor activites or retailers/restaurants. You guys might find this article interesting: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I just find more options available in Columbia; different entertainment areas, more museums, more sports options and a national park. I also find Columbia to be much more diverse and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area