Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,319,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I just find more options available in Columbia; different entertainment areas, more museums, more sports options and a national park. I also find Columbia to be much more diverse and friendly.
How so? More diverse in what way? Friendly in what way? Why does Greenville pull more interest on the forums? Can you take your experience and call it the Gospel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 AM

293 posts, read 826,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
How so? More diverse in what way? Friendly in what way? Why does Greenville pull more interest on the forums? Can you take your experience and call it the Gospel?

Look...let's not go there again. Greenville has its forums and so does Columbia...great y'all generate a lot a traffic...but this has nothing to do with what the thread startered asked. He was giving his opinion after g-man posted a CBJ link...it's no need to question his OPINION...isn't that pretty much what we all give in most threads...Opinons...All i'm asking is we keep it civil...I think each of those cities have pluses and minuses about them...none is like comparing NYC to Raeford, NC. {no disrespect to Raeford}.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
Quote:
Wow, since Greenvillians post more often on City Data it means it's a better place? That is the worst logic I've ever seen. Maybe they post the most because they don't have anything better to do.

As far as diversity, the census bureau posts figures on that. Look it up.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Wow, since Greenvillians post more often on City Data it means it's a better place? That is the worst logic I've ever seen. Maybe they post the most because they don't have anything better to do.

As far as diversity, the census bureau posts figures on that. Look it up.
Can we agree that everyone is different and may not see it your way? And what other forums are any different?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Can we agree that everyone is different and may not see it your way? And what other forums are any different?
Why does it matter how many people from a particular city post on a forum? What does that prove?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter how many people from a particular city post on a forum? What does that prove?
Interest.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
Quote:
I just find more options available in Columbia; different entertainment areas, more museums, more sports options and a national park. I also find Columbia to be much more diverse and friendly.
Just remember this article: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC If it's not true then why visit and do an article on it? Oh and Greenville is going to have the largest childrens museum in the southeast when it opens in the spring. We have a minor league baseball and football team. Where's yours? You have one national park with awesome swamps. We have several state parks located in the mountains with gorgeous views. They're all very nice and I enjoy visiting them all. Both areas have lots of different entertainment options. I would say Columbia is more diverse while Greenville is more friendly but that's just my opinion. I also think Greenville has better retail/restaurant options like Whole Foods Market, Chipotle, Costco, PF Changs, etc. Columbia has a larger skyline though. But Greenville has the better bike trails. But Columbia has the larger zoo. But Greenville has the nicer downtown. It all evens out in the end.

Last edited by g-man430; 01-17-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Just remember this article: Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC If it's not true then why visit and do an article on it? Oh and Greenville is going to have the largest childrens museum in the southeast when it opens in the spring. We have a minor league baseball and football team. Where's yours? You have one national park with awesome swamps. We have several state parks located in the mountains with gorgeous views. They're all very nice and I enjoy visiting them all. Both areas have lots of different entertainment options. I would say Columbia is more diverse while Greenville is more friendly but that's just my opinion. I also think Greenville has better retail/restaurant options like Whole Foods Market, Chipotle, Costco, PF Changs, etc. Columbia has a larger skyline though. But Greenville has the better bike trails. But Columbia has the larger zoo. But Greenville has the nicer downtown. It all evens out in the end.
We also have state parks - Sesquicentennial and Dreher Island, we have minor league baseball - the Columbia Blowfish, we have all SEC sports - football, basketball, baseball, etc. We also have the superior arena with the Colonial Life Arena. I disagree about the better downtown - Columbia's is multi-nodal with the Vista, Main Street district and Five Points. Main Street in Greenville is nicer than Columbia's when it comes to aesthetics, but it isn't nicer than the Vista or Five Points. Columbia has great restaurants - I don't judge a city's culinary worth based on chain restaurants - I judge it on uniqueness.

These "vs" threads are absurd. All they do is start arguments about this and that. I don't understand why people don't visit each place and decide for themselves.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
Quote:
These "vs" threads are absurd. All they do is start arguments about this and that. I don't understand why people don't visit each place and decide for themselves.
Agreed. Like I said, none of us are going to move over opinions. Let's just say both metro areas are even and leave it at that.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:37 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Each of those points can very easily be said (and have been said many times) of Greenville. We have multiple entertainment areas as well, several museums (more than most people realize), arguably many more sports options, and a diverse array of stunningly beautiful state and local parks which comfortably rival the best in the Southeast. We also enjoy one of the most vibrant, beautiful downtowns in the region, with a gorgeous natural urban park unlike any other you'll find in this state at least. The future looks even better, thanks to continuous visionary leadership, which initially took control in the late 1970s. This city was dying prior to that time, but hasn't ceased improving since.

Whenever a city vs. city thread opens, it always eventually boils down to personal opinions based upon what an individual is searching for in a place of residence. Most of our opinions seem fairly obvious so far, possibly indicating a clear difference between the cities in question. My recommendation is to visit each city in person before making any decision about relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area