U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,351,458 times

Advertisements

I graduated from The Univ of SC with a degree in management in Aug of 06. After that, I went straight into my MBA and completed that program in March of 08. I have been out of work for 9 months and I still can't find an entry level job for around 30,000 - 35,000. I AM SICK OF WAITING TABLES TO BARELY PAY MY BILLS!

I am already on monster, hotjobs, careerbuilder, used the USC career center, attended USC's career fairs and applied directly through several companies websites.

I think that my problem is that I can't find any major recruiting agencies in this area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good recruiting agencies? Does anyone work with a company that is hiring? I would prefer sales or management postions.

Thanks for you time
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM

7,014 posts, read 11,027,945 times
Are you getting any interviews? If not, why not? If so, why aren't you getting hired? Are you exuding the right image?

Have a friend or 3 who'll be honest review your resume and go from there. Make sure it's good order and grammatically correct. Write a nice cover letter.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 AM

4,950 posts, read 8,422,476 times
Do you have any job experience other than waiting tables? I work for a financial institution and many of our entry level people are college students that move into other jobs after they graduate. That foot in the door is key to being able to advance later on. I'm afraid the number of "entry level" jobs in the $30,000 to $35,000 a year range are going to be few and far between.

I had the same problem after I graduated. I had it in my head that I was going to make a particular amount when I graduated and I became discouraged when I couldn't find a job making that. I eventually took a job in a field I wanted to be in, but making less money than I had counted on. Luckily, 15 years later my salary is more than quadruple what I started at. My best recommendation for you is to pick a field that you like and take whatever job you can find in that field for a company that interests you. Once you prove yourself, at that company, you'll be amazed how quickly you can move up the ladder, because bright, qualified, educated people are hard to find.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Are you getting any interviews? If not, why not? If so, why aren't you getting hired? Are you exuding the right image?

Have a friend or 3 who'll be honest review your resume and go from there. Make sure it's good order and grammatically correct. Write a nice cover letter.
I have gotten 2 interviews. I feel that I am am not getting hired because there are people interviewing for the same position as me that have 2 years of experience in the field of the position

My resume looks really good for someone entry level that is right out of college. The University of SC has reviewed it not to mention very successful family members/friends/professors in business.

I hate to be negative, but I know that the reason why I dont have a job is because of the economy. Even if the economy as a nation was normal, Columbia, SC is not known for having a booming job market with positions opening all of the time.

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 01-05-2009 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 AM

4,950 posts, read 8,422,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I have gotten 2 interviews. I feel that I am am not getting hired because there are people interviewing for the same position as me that have 2 years of experience in the field of the position

My resume looks really good for someone entry level that is right out of college. The University of SC has reviewed it not to mention very successful family members in the general business field.

I hate to be negative, but I know that the reason why I dont have a job is because of the economy. Even if the economy as a nation was normal, it is not like Columbia, SC has a booming job market with positions opening all of the time.

I am mainly looking for people who have had experience delaing with good recruting agencies
You're right, someone with 2 years experience will definitely get hired over someone with no experience. The economy isn't good right now, but there are still places hiring. When you get an interview make sure you follow it up with a thank you letter and then a phone call a few days later. If 2 interviewees are even then the one who shows they really want the job will have an edge. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
You're right, someone with 2 years experience will definitely get hired over someone with no experience. The economy isn't good right now, but there are still places hiring. When you get an interview make sure you follow it up with a thank you letter and then a phone call a few days later. If 2 interviewees are even then the one who shows they really want the job will have an edge. Good luck.
On my 2 interviews, I received a second interview offer from a company called Unum.

I declined the second interview offer through email because the job was in Charlotte. I want to stay in Columbia with my father so I can save money to make steps towards purchasing my own house instead of renting for the next couple of years

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 01-05-2009 at 02:19 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 AM

18 posts, read 43,201 times
Your gonna hate to hear this, but you have to move. Once you move, work the job for a few years, then move back. If you don't do that then you'll be stuck in SC with no job, or a lame job. You have an MBA, you will easily find a job somewhere other than Columbia. But if you keep waiting for the perfect job here, then sooner or later people at interviews are going to look past your degree and think your washed up because you haven't used your knowledge in so long. Good luck with the job hunt, but you are going to more than likely have to leave SC, you have a great background, and I'm sure you worked really hard to get where you are, Don't waste it waiting around for a job in columbia, or SC in general. Also try INDEED.com that is a good job hunting website, better than monster and careerbuilder in my opinion. Good luck

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas1982 View Post
Your gonna hate to hear this, but you have to move. Once you move, work the job for a few years, then move back. If you don't do that then you'll be stuck in SC with no job, or a lame job. You have an MBA, you will easily find a job somewhere other than Columbia. But if you keep waiting for the perfect job here, then sooner or later people at interviews are going to look past your degree and think your washed up because you haven't used your knowledge in so long. Good luck with the job hunt, but you are going to more than likely have to leave SC, you have a great background, and I'm sure you worked really hard to get where you are, Don't waste it waiting around for a job in columbia, or SC in general. Also try INDEED.com that is a good job hunting website, better than monster and careerbuilder in my opinion. Good luck
Let me clarify some things - Actually, I want to move. I dont like living in SC because I am a big city person. I am open to NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, LA, Vegas, Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta and Phoenix

When my job search started these were the cities that I targeted. But, after awhile of searching, I realized that there were not any companies or recruiting agencies willing to fly in a recent college graduate with no experience.

Let's take Phoenix for example - Arizona State University is in Phoenix. Why would they pay 1,000 dollars for my hotel, rent a car and flight and pay for me to move when they can find someone at The Arizona State campus that is already in Phoenix. I dont have thousands of dollars to fly around the United States on interviews. Companies are only willing to fly people for job interviews that have hard to find skills with experience in their field. Recent college graduates are like waiters (they come a dime a dozen).

Thanks for the tip on indeed.com

Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 PM

5,316 posts, read 6,466,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Companies are only willing to fly people for job interviews that have hard to find skills with experience in their field. Recent college graduates are like waiters (they come a dime a dozen).

Thanks for the tip on indeed.com
Sorry, but when I read your OP(MBA with no work experience), a dime a dozen was the phrase that came to mind. It's too late now to get experience while working on your degree(unless you go back to school!) so I can only recommend an intern or volunteer position in addition to working to pay your bills. That might provide the foot in the door you need...certainly can't hurt to make the contacts. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 15,224 times
not to hijack... but if anyone HAS recruiting contacts in Columbia (or Greenville) please post! Im trying to relocate up there, have a business degree, working on MBA, and over 9 years sales/management experience in banking/financial services

**Sorry NYC1DAY, but have to look where I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area