Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Who's growing the fastest percentage wise: Myrtle Beach
Who's growing the fastest number wise: Greenville

-Myrtle Beach is going down the drain. Everybody knows it. Just look at what happened to the Pavilion and Hard Rock Park. Their industry is focused on only tourism and that becomes a huge problem when the economy goes south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
As far as I'm concerned you can go jump in the lake when it comes to insulting my intelligence. I'm doing very good in life. Lifestyle some know it alls can only dream of. Too good for you to insult me know it all.
Brittany Spears is doing very well for herself, as well.

I'm not trying to attack you, but you do tend to just say whatever it is you have to say and expect us to take it as fact with nothing to base it on. Here's one of your supporting arguments from the city vs city thread (and I'm copying and pasting this so it's a direct quote):

A friend of mine isn't from either and says Greenville is bigger! So thats a lie.

Really? "This guy I know says so" is fact? And there are many more to choose from just in that thread alone.

Then you come here and say 'Well I know numbers and numbers are fact and I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Neener neener'. Now before you twist your britches up, that's a paraphrase, hence the single quotations. You're going to rub people the wrong way with that kind of attitude, and it's going to make them want to rub back when you're proven wrong.

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just sayin'...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
If you ask me, Myrtle has been going down the drain since the early-mid 80s. Its economy is just catching up to that.

And I hope Greenville doesn't grow too large. Whether or not it's larger than Columbia is moot. It doesn't *feel* larger than Columbia (to me, anyway) and that's half of the appeal. It has small town charm and that's what drew me to it initially; a large city that isn't smothering.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Brittany Spears is doing very well for herself, as well.

I'm not trying to attack you, but you do tend to just say whatever it is you have to say and expect us to take it as fact with nothing to base it on. Here's one of your supporting arguments from the city vs city thread (and I'm copying and pasting this so it's a direct quote):

A friend of mine isn't from either and says Greenville is bigger! So thats a lie.

Really? "This guy I know says so" is fact? And there are many more to choose from just in that thread alone.

Then you come here and say 'Well I know numbers and numbers are fact and I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Neener neener'. Now before you twist your britches up, that's a paraphrase, hence the single quotations. You're going to rub people the wrong way with that kind of attitude, and it's going to make them want to rub back when you're proven wrong.

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just sayin'...
I'm not on here for your feelings, I'm here to defend truth. Did Greenville not grow number wise more than any other area? Thats my point. If the numbers trend the same the upstate will continue to outgrow the rest. Yes I believe in raw numbers because they are absolute. And whats with the Brittany Spears thing? Did you know here IQ is actually above average? So shes not dumb.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM

272 posts, read 729,913 times
If she were dumb, how would she have created that trailer-caulk-scented line of fragrances?

I was there when it debuted at Macy's. Times Square smelled like Home Depot.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:35 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Dear heavens. That list refelcted growth by percentage since 2000. Just because the list does not suit ones purposes does not render it invalid. And a lot of people look at rate of growth as a useful tool. I was at a planning/development seminar a few years ago. One presenter showed statistics on how every metropolitan area in the US has grown- except Pittsburg. But you wouldn't want to throw your money effort into all of them, you want to pinpoint how their growth offers opportunity. And a higher percentage growth will typically mean that they need people to come into the area to provide a lot of services for the new folks or simply to maintain the growth. A lower growth rate is more likekly to mean existing companies/services can simply expand to meet the growth or that frims in nearby areas can easily expand the area they compete in to fill the need.

And I won't even argue that Myrtle Beach is not a house of cards. I grew up in Conway and am well aware of that. However the Myrtle Beach economy could go to heck for a couple of years and sales from their overbuilt real estate market could still propel them to the top spot for fastest percentage growth since retirees on pensions are often recession proof. If you were a business providing medical services MB would remain your best target.

I'm not sure how the growth rate will shake out when the economy probelms ends but people have been moving to the Charleston area for years with no good reason other than percieved lifestyle. I'm not sure if this climate will slow them down. Unlike MB and Charleston, Columbia and Greenville seem to draw businesses and employees with specific needs more often. So while their real estate markets may hold up better than MB or a couple of areas of Charleston they will not necessarily grow more.

The point is Greenville's population is not so staggeringly large that it offers sufficient buffer to maintaining its rank with other areas posting higher growth rates. I wonder how the SC cities compared to Charlotte- we could have ended up as one of those odd states whose greatest concentration of residents is in the MSA of a city in another state- although Wachovia and BOA seem to have saved us from that possibility.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Keep in mind that much of that numerical jump wasn't true growth.....it was simply the addition of counties to the metro:

In Census 2000, the population for the then two-county metropolitan area (Richland and Lexington) was 536,691, of which about 78% was within the Columbia urbanized area proper (2000 pop.: 420,537). In June 2003, the United States Census Bureau added four more counties — Fairfield, Calhoun, Kershaw, and Saluda — to Columbia's standard metropolitan statistical area, giving its total population a significant boost. It now ranks as the largest in South Carolina
That is not correct. The percentage growth used in the example posted was based on the same counties in 2006 vs 2000 even though some of those counties were not added to the MSA until 2003.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
I'm not on here for your feelings, I'm here to defend truth. Did Greenville not grow number wise more than any other area? Thats my point. If the numbers trend the same the upstate will continue to outgrow the rest. Yes I believe in raw numbers because they are absolute. And whats with the Brittany Spears thing? Did you know here IQ is actually above average? So shes not dumb.
Actually Greenville didn't grow the most in raw numbers, Greenville, Spartanburg AND Anderson together grew by the greatest amount in raw numbers.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Actually Greenville didn't grow the most in raw numbers, Greenville, Spartanburg AND Anderson together grew by the greatest amount in raw numbers.
Show me proof in raw numbers. Did Columbia not add counties that increased its metro while Greenville subtracted counties that are very much tied into Greenville? Is Greer which is a Greenville suburb not on the Greenville/Spartanburg County line? Is Powdersville which is in Anderson County not a Greenville suburb?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Look Akhenaton06. I have engineering background and I look at things in raw numbers. If a place gained more people to me that place is growing faster despite relevance of size. But just to make you guys happy MB is the fastest growing and will pass all even though its way smaller and has less raw numbers.
The thing is, we're not talking about engineering here. You can't take engineering principles and apply them to population statistics. "Fastest-growing," statistically speaking, refers to rate of growth as a percentage, not raw numbers.

This thread wasn't even about Greenville to begin with. Anytime we discuss statistics here that doesn't make Greenville look like the next Atlanta you get all upset. You really need to get over that or just move to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area