U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM

1,858 posts, read 2,987,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Buckeye in SC;Columbia is a mid-size city, I've never been to Albuquerque, but at least from a population standpoint, the two metro areas are comparable (SC has strict annexation laws which has held back it's cities from a lot of population growth w/in corporate limits), one difference is Columbia is the state capital. So maybe that will give you an idea on the size of the city being in New Mexico.

Albuquerque and Columbia may have similar sized metro's, but the city of Abq is a lot bigger in size, look and feel. Columbia is very nice but it is a lot smaller.
As I noted, I've never been to Albuquerque, I was simply comparing the populations - Albuquerque's MSA is a little over 800,000 & Columbia is a little over 700,000. So yeah, Abq is bigger, but was just trying to give the OP an idea of what to expect from Columbia.

By simply comparing city proper populations, you'll never get a fair comparison, by that logic, you're saying Albuquerque w/it's 500,000+ population is bigger than Cleveland or Cincinnati or Pittsburgh as examples which all have between 300k - 450k inside their city limits. Yet their metros are double & triple that of Albuquerque's and anyone would tell you that those cities are much larger.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM

293 posts, read 450,299 times
^^^
I understand your logic about metro populations. However, though metro's may be similar in size, in some cases the city cores of two comparable metro may be very different in what constitutes the larger 'city'. I think it does in this particular case. The 'city' of Columbia is and feels much smaller than the 'city' of Abq, although their metros are about even.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 22,528 times
Well hate to disapoint you but we have crime here too a lady just got shot to death at an atm of bankofamerica in one of our best neighborhoods in Columbia,but the good news is the person that did this is already caught.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,987,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njincola View Post
Well hate to disapoint you but we have crime here too a lady just got shot to death at an atm of bankofamerica in one of our best neighborhoods in Columbia,but the good news is the person that did this is already caught.
Speaking of that, does anybody else think that it sounds very much like a 'hit' job? I mean who robs someone at 8:40 AM (in Forest Acres mind you), and then shoots the lady 4 times - I could see once, but 4 shots? Somebody wanted that lady dead. And oddly enough, she was supposed to have her divorce finalized that very day. I know the husband is innocent til proven guilty, but something doesn't seem right about that whole scenario.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 PM

4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Speaking of that, does anybody else think that it sounds very much like a 'hit' job? I mean who robs someone at 8:40 AM (in Forest Acres mind you), and then shoots the lady 4 times - I could see once, but 4 shots? Somebody wanted that lady dead. And oddly enough, she was supposed to have her divorce finalized that very day. I know the husband is innocent til proven guilty, but something doesn't seem right about that whole scenario.
Buckeye, someone at work mentioned that today, also. I certainly hope that isn't the case since she had a son.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 PM

16,623 posts, read 13,767,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
yes, I know many of these things have been addressed in different threads, which I am reading, but for my particular situation:

My wife and I want to get out of New Mexico. We don't like it here due to the following:

- lack of social atmosphere or ease of making friends
- small towns and cities with little in the way of activities or nightlife
- high crime, lots of street gangs even in small towns (this is nothing new for NM)
- nobody on the streets, wide open spread out town planning
- dry and dusty environment

What I would want in a place to live would be, basically the opposite of the above list, except not too much humidity.

I work in the IT field. Shall I apply for jobs in Columbia?
Columbia has some of those problems. Gangs can be an issue. Crime is not low. Development is sprawled out in some locations.

But for the most part I think Columbia would suit you fine.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 18,994 times
Im not sure there is any reason to move here. Its has all the problems you mentioned (except dust). Even the college area is a ghost town on saturadys (fridays pretty good). I would spend a GOOD amount of time here before you move. Ther is nothing in the way of culture or sports if thats your thing.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

450 posts, read 667,947 times
I'd love to get back to WCol, it would be that much closer to the beach.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM

125 posts, read 254,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmig View Post
Im not sure there is any reason to move here. Its has all the problems you mentioned (except dust). Even the college area is a ghost town on saturadys (fridays pretty good). I would spend a GOOD amount of time here before you move. Ther is nothing in the way of culture or sports if thats your thing.

^^ this

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM

450 posts, read 667,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

You should ride by and check out the marquee sign at the KogerCenter anytime for cultural entertainment in Columbia. Not to mention the 20K seat ColonialCenter, or the TownshipAuditorium, DarlintonRaceway (1 hour, pro sports), Charlotte (2hours, pro sports), THE COAST (1.5 hours, entertainment & the beach), LakeMurray (30 minutes). And I hope you play golf. Although USC has mediocre football, 82,000 show up and tailgate till they drop for every home game in Williams Bryce Stadium; also a brand new, to be opened this season, USC baseball park down on the river...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area