U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM

469 posts, read 1,623,598 times

Advertisements

can i get your thoughts/opinions on lexington school district 2? we're looking at homes in west cola and i have never really heard anything (good, bad, indifferent) about the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM

843 posts, read 2,388,926 times
In the thread where I was asking about Cola school districts, Swampwolf mentioned that he thought the high school wasn't quite what it used to be. Regardless, if you find something out, please report it back here. If I did transition from Sumter to eliminate the commute, I think Cayce would work well for us.

Here's the thread where I was asking - Cola school districts...

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM

469 posts, read 1,623,598 times
thanks, ceezer. i saw your thread AFTER i posted .

Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

272 posts, read 635,773 times
Columbia (Richland County) has two districts, Richland 1 and 2. 2 is usually considered to be much better than 1, although 1 does have some isolated schools that are very good. The district itself is absurd with incompetent leadership, both in most schools and in the district office.

Lexington County has five districts, including one that is now called Lexington/Richland 5 (used to be Lexington 5). Same thing, there are occasionally good schools, but even the ones that a lot of people will tell you are good I have been told are terrible by teachers there that I know. (including the fairly new White Knoll HS).

The only thing I can suggest is to visit schools and ask the hard questions, making sure that you look like you mean business and asking follow-up questions when appropriate. Does the school involve the authorities when violent crimes occur on campus? (It's a felony if they don't.) They will say no. Then ask directly about how many violent crimes they have on campus. If the number seems very low it is no doubt a lie.

A friend of mine lives right across the street from Brookland-Cayce high School in Cayce. She sees enough from her porch to know that things have turned bad there.

Take great care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area