U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

3,447 posts, read 4,491,360 times

Advertisements

Wow this is interesting.. some would say way overdue......

HOA rules: Bill would give residents referee - Business - The State (http://www.thestate.com/business/story/694413.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

7,035 posts, read 11,172,174 times
I don't know Darrell Jackson, wouldn't recognize him if we in front of me right now, but he sounds wildly uninformed about HOA boards. Unfortunately, I see he's a Richland Co. Senator. I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish but HOA boards are not the tyrants he makes them out to be in most communities. What the HOA boards do is enforce Cov and Rest. laid out by the develepor of the subdivision. If a person does not like the C&R in a community then they should not elect to buy a home in that subdivision. I have been and am still on a very pro-active HOA board in a subdivision. As long as people follow guidelines there aren't problems (boats in the driveway, no chain link fences, etc).

Also, I wonder why they want the names and contact info of all homeowners? In addition when they project they need 356k to run this why he's trying to charge so much to generate 6 mil per year.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Status: "OK, winter can end any day now! ;)" (set 29 days ago)

3,259 posts, read 4,245,067 times
our new place down here is the first time we've been in a HOA; if we didn't like the 'rules' then we could have lived somewhere else. I've known others in HOA's back in WI; and sure there are times when rules are let go or on the flip side some take the wording of a rule to the extreme. Guess that's what a board and or meetings are for. But everyone should be given a copy of the HOA and restrictions ahead of time; if something isn't followed by either party then the other side has the written 'laws/guidelines' to work off of.

This measure does seem to be a nice way to raise $$ for the dept....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area