Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are looking to relocate to the Lexington area from here in Mass. We have a 5 year old daughter. a relocatable business , and are looking for any recommendations. Looking to spend 250,000 to 290,000 , in a nice part of town. We plan on going down in April to look , and are totally confused by all these builders, like KB homes, shumaker, Dr Horton, and others. Which are good , and which are reputable?? any help,
thanks in advance,
D, L and C Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Lexington is not a huge place and there isn't one part of town that I'd say is better than any of the others. You need to come down and visit the communities to find out which subdivisions and floor plans work best for you.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Lexington is just a suburb of Columbia; you'll have a lot of options all over the metro to look at - Lexington is just a small part.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM

91 posts, read 280,329 times
Hey - where in MA do you live now? I live in MA and LOVE SC! I love Irmo, Elgin, Lexington, West Cola - etc. - there are a lot of communities available to you.

I can't wait to relocate there - I dream about it. But right now I just need to live vicariously through other Mass - peeps that head down...

Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM

91 posts, read 280,329 times
Hey - where in MA do you live now? I live in MA and LOVE SC! I love Irmo, Elgin, Lexington, West Cola - etc. - there are a lot of communities available to you.

I can't wait to relocate there - I dream about it. But right now I just need to live vicariously through other Mass - peeps that head down...

Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM

14 posts, read 26,837 times
As far as builders --I haven't been in DR Horton homes in Columbia, SC-- but did see them huntersville, NC and really liked them

Old 08-22-2009, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 41,154 times
Shumaker Homes just had to buy back two houses in Milford Park subdivision because of MOLD. The houses had severe water problems that Shumaker knew about before selling the houses. THey didn't do anything to help the homeowners who eventually sued them in Richland county. The lawsuits are public record so you can check it out. The promise you a full warranty but change their story after closing and swith you to a 2-10 warranty that you have to pay $250 for every problem you have. Think twice before buying a house from Shumaker! ( the house were only a couple of months old when the mold started and they are 3 years old now)

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,787 times
Make sure you do your homework before moving here. We moved here from NJ 7 months ago and already we're making plans to move back. Besides the weather, we haven't found much to entice us to stay. The Midlands just don't do it for us. NJ has much more to offer. Just my opinion, but that's why we're on this site, right?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 PM

175 posts, read 543,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Make sure you do your homework before moving here. We moved here from NJ 7 months ago and already we're making plans to move back. Besides the weather, we haven't found much to entice us to stay. The Midlands just don't do it for us. NJ has much more to offer. Just my opinion, but that's why we're on this site, right?
What don't you like about it? I ask because we also are thinking about a move from the northeast.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 21,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post

Jersgrl1969 - I completely agree with you! I moved here for a new job. It's been a month, and I just don't know if I can make it here. I don't feel this is a city, it is like a small town, nothing to do. I have learned a big lesson - you must come to visit the town by yourself before moving, never rely on only what other people's opinion on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area