U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM

202 posts, read 277,140 times

Advertisements

Someone on the Charlotte, NC thread said there was a tent city set up near the train station in Columbia. Is that true? I'm in Pennsylvania and I was just curious. That also leads me to another question: National reports say South Carolina has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the country. How is the Columbia area faring? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 PM

5,026 posts, read 8,584,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Someone on the Charlotte, NC thread said there was a tent city set up near the train station in Columbia. Is that true? I'm in Pennsylvania and I was just curious. That also leads me to another question: National reports say South Carolina has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the country. How is the Columbia area faring? Thanks.
That is ridiculous; there is no tent city setup near the train station or anywhere else in town. Where in the world did somebody get that idea from? I work very close to the train station, by the way. There used to be a few homeless people that lived on the river, but I don't think that is the case any longer.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM

202 posts, read 277,140 times
It was a post from someone with the screen name Mullman. A person from NYC started the thread and asked where to live in Charlotte. Again, this was on the Charlotte thread posted yesterday:

1. Secure Job.
2. Secure living space.
3. Have Fun....

If you are not following the news, CLT is nearing 10% unemployment.
South Carolina is nearly 12%. I was in SC last week and saw a tent city in a field near the train station outside Columbia.
I stopped and talked to people literally living in tents, lost their home and out of work.
The news is not reporting this.

Lots of people out of work and out of luck...
My street is 75% lawyers who support the banks and bankers themselves.
50% are out of work and the other half feel they could be soon.
To be honest, NYC might be a better bet.

The large layoffs at the banks have not even happened yet, but are forthcoming.

That is what I read

Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM

843 posts, read 1,759,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
That is ridiculous; there is no tent city setup near the train station or anywhere else in town. Where in the world did somebody get that idea from?
Maybe from the entire section The State dedicated to the "tent city" on the river banks last summer? It went on to say that they were run off, but that they merely relocated, not disbanded. And those people weren't necessarilly homeless, many of them had nice homes and chose to live there.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM

468 posts, read 1,103,832 times
there is a small encampment at the junction of 1 and 26 or is it 1 and 20(?). anyhoo, this and others exist like it across the city. i only found out about it myself this past weekend when my husband pointed it out to me. ..he's in LE and runs across these from time to time.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 8,584,696 times
Wow, I've never seen that; interesting.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM

3,466 posts, read 4,524,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
there is a small encampment at the junction of 1 and 26 or is it 1 and 20(?). anyhoo, this and others exist like it across the city. i only found out about it myself this past weekend when my husband pointed it out to me. ..he's in LE and runs across these from time to time.

Interesting but not surprising..though people who have homes and CHOOSE to live this way may be puzzling There are many isolated areas under bridges near interstates and RR Bridges (woods) in Cola where I would not be surprised to see tent cities or "homeless camps".Along RR in particuliar since no one is likely to bother you and you can use it as your own personal pathway to and from downtown.. presumably to access the services that are still available there..As time goes on it may be increasingly difficult for this population to exist downtown.. unmolested. The downtown safety officers and law enforcement may make life increasingly difficult.... so many may gravitate to the edge of the city in these less traveled/industrial areas.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,283,930 times
for what it's worth, the comment about people choosing that 'lifestyle' is not unique to here. Back in Madison ( Wi ), there are of course people/families who are homeless and not by choice. But along State St ( section between the capital and campus areas ) there is a park where the 'homeless' base out of. These are the ones who panhandle, and it's set up like a job for them ( they actually do shifts ). And some of these people are there by choice. So it makes it very difficult when you know this and then one asks for a handout.
Same for the people we had back at intersections there holding the signs. The shelters actually told people not to give anything to people on the street, that if they wanted to help then donate to the shelters.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM

480 posts, read 1,442,089 times
Concerning the unemployment rate in SC, there are areas in the state that always have a large amount of unemployment. The small towns in the Pee Dee are poor, and there is always high unemployment. There are not many factories etc., and quite a few people without HS diploma. It's always been that way. I believe the unemployment rate in Lexington county is about 7.5%. This is obviously much higher than the usual 3.5%, but not out of line with other cities in the country.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Default There is a tent city in Columbia

There is a tent city in columbia.. Its not near the train station.. Its in the woods down at the river bank. It houses a good 40-50 people. Ive seen it.. The city of columbia made them move 2 or 3 months ago.. they just went down further.. It is out of the public's eye so maybe they will be left alone for awhile..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area