U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 AM

324 posts, read 899,202 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to move to Columbia, and I heard about a yearly fee in SC for car owners that runs $300 or so. What gives? Does everyone get charged the same amount, does it depend on your car, or what..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
We're getting ready to move to Columbia, and I heard about a yearly fee in SC for car owners that runs $300 or so. What gives? Does everyone get charged the same amount, does it depend on your car, or what..
It depends on your car. Older, less expensive cars are usually under $50, but it can be over $1000 a year for a $40 or $50 thousand car.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Wow...that's insane. Does that include the yearly tag for your license plate or do they tack that on extra?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 388,194 times
Quote:
Wow...that's insane. Does that include the yearly tag for your license plate or do they tack that on extra?
Luckily, the SC $1000 personal vehicle tax and registration fee includes car registration fee and a number plate. ;-) So consider your plate and registration as FREE ;-)

Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
Luckily, the SC $1000 personal vehicle tax and registration fee includes car registration fee and a number plate. ;-) So consider your plate and registration as FREE ;-)
What a bargain!

In all seriousness though, this may really affect our future in SC. I'm really not liking this tax, and definitely looking into these kind of fees in other states.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:43 AM

3,823 posts, read 8,918,891 times
keep in mind the lower property taxes on homes here ( or at least lower to those of us who move from other states ). Even with the taxes on our cars/boat, add that to home tax and it's still noticebly less then we paid in WI.
So for us it was all about adding everything up when we made our pro/con list when moving here. And we have loved the area ever since...

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 AM

480 posts, read 777,740 times
The state gets it from you one way or the other.

In Tennessee, we have no income or personal property taxes, but the sales tax is 9.25 percent (1 percent less on food items). Tags/registration in Memphis cost $110, but the suburbs pay about $85. Real estate taxes are also double living in the city limits. I completely understand why people chose to live in the suburbs and work in the city limits.

In Mississippi, car registration is similar--new car taxes are very high but they go down every year. I'm really surprised the auto manufacturers haven't gotten their lobbyists railing against these kind of taxes, as I definitely think it would discourage people from buying a new vehicle.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
The cost for renewing your tag is minimal; something like $10, which you pay when you pay your car tax. It's offset by how low Real Property taxes are in SC.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM

648 posts, read 1,661,249 times
and you don't have any emission tests to pass...yet. You actually have no type of inspection. Back in the day SC used to have that. But, after realizing that it was such a farce the state abandoned it.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm seeing it's not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. We just got back from our first Columbia tour with our realtor. Seems like a nice city, and beautiful weather these past few days. We're going back up this weekend to make a final decision on a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or