Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,081 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from NJ to Columbia, SC in June due to accepting a new position within my agency. I am just trying to get some insight about the Richland 1 and Richland 2 school districts. I have looked at (on craigslist)homes for rent on Lake Carolina Drive found them to be nice I intend to rent for a year to save up for a down payment for a home. I have also looked at a home on Farrow Road I was told by the owner that it is in the R1 school district.

Currently my children 10 & 8 year olds attend the second best charter school in our city and its very diverse and they are academically challenged. My 4 year old is on her way to Pre-k about is currently enrolled in a private preschool which is also diverse. Both schools teacher spanish and french and I am looking for schools that continue with this. I have looked and found that the R1 schools offer quite a few magnet programs and my daughter currently attends dance school for tap, hip-hop and was scheduled to pick up ballet this coming Sept so I am also looking for a great dance school.

My 10 year old is having a hard time adjusting to even the thought of moving so I am looking to live in a community that is populated with kids, community pool, things to do for kids.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Tanya; welcome to Columbia. I am a Jersey native too and you'll find there are quite a few of us here. The first place I would start is by finding out where your job will be located and go from there as far as finding a place to live and schools for your children. Do you know in what part of Columbia your job will be located?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Tanya; welcome to Columbia. I am a Jersey native too and you'll find there are quite a few of us here. The first place I would start is by finding out where your job will be located and go from there as far as finding a place to live and schools for your children. Do you know in what part of Columbia your job will be located?
Yes I do know it will be on Assembly St is that downtown?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM

316 posts, read 975,616 times
Assembly Street is downtown. Southeast Columbia, in the Rosewood and Shandon area would be close to downtown. You could also live in Lexington and Northeast if a commute is not a bad thing. Depending on where you live in either one you could likely be downtown in about thirty minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya3670 View Post
Yes I do know it will be on Assembly St is that downtown?
Yes it is. It would be easiest to make recommendations if we know what price range you'd like to be in.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Yes it is. It would be easiest to make recommendations if we know what price range you'd like to be in.
Sorry, I currently pay $1400 a month for my lil 3 bed 2bath apt here. So paying that much to rent a 4-5 bed 2 bath house is fine but thats the limit. I also have another question regardin utilities, I know here in NJ when you see tenant pays utilities it usually means hot water, heat and electric. Is it the same there or are you paying for water (hot and cold) plus the heat and electric?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya3670 View Post
Sorry, I currently pay $1400 a month for my lil 3 bed 2bath apt here. So paying that much to rent a 4-5 bed 2 bath house is fine but thats the limit. I also have another question regardin utilities, I know here in NJ when you see tenant pays utilities it usually means hot water, heat and electric. Is it the same there or are you paying for water (hot and cold) plus the heat and electric?
It would be the same, generally, as far as utilities are concerned. You should be able to rent a good-size home for that amount. If you'd like to be close to work I'd start looking in the Shandon, Rosewood and Hollywood Hills neighborhoods. There are also plenty of other places to look.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM

Thank you... I will check those areas out tomorrow. I have been using Craigslist to search for rentals does anyone know of any other rental websites?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

480 posts, read 877,866 times
The lovely and very helpful 8t9vt shared these links to property managment companies:

www.cantey.com
www.thewolfeco.com
www.thefowlerco.com
www.russellandjeffcoat.com

Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area