Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM

20 posts, read 72,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am going to be attending USC for graduate school in the fall. I've been looking at apartments online, but I'd like to get some of your opinions rather than just postings. I'm moving with my boyfriend and dog and would like to stay within 3 miles of the University. Walking to class would be great but I've found that downtown apartments are a little more expensive. I would ideally like to spend around $500 - $600 to rent a 1 BR/1BA apartment. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
The dog will present a serious complication. You may have to buy a house; the mortgage payments will be less than rent anyway, and you will build equity.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
The dog will present a serious complication. You may have to buy a house; the mortgage payments will be less than rent anyway, and you will build equity.
I wouldn't recommend that a student buy a house.

$500 to $600 a month is going to be tough to find. Check with some of the local rental companies - the Wolfe Company, Furman Fulmer, etc. and Craigslist - and you might find something small for that. I think The Rapids Apartments in the Olympia area are in that price range, too, if you'd rather be in a complex.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 PM

I'm open to any type of rental properties. I've just only been able to find websites that list complexes - I haven't been able to find the smaller properties within the downtown area (or just outside). I'm willing to pay a little bit more if it's worth it. I appreciate your suggestions thus far!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Check with the companies I listed. I used to rent a little quadruplex from the Wolfe Company near Five Points and USC for not a lot of money. I prefer those type places to complexes.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 AM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I wouldn't recommend that a student buy a house.

$500 to $600 a month is going to be tough to find. Check with some of the local rental companies - the Wolfe Company, Furman Fulmer, etc. and Craigslist - and you might find something small for that. I think The Rapids Apartments in the Olympia area are in that price range, too, if you'd rather be in a complex.

Presumably her boyfriend will have a job, and I'm pretty sure most places charge so much more for the dog that buying is cheaper.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Presumably her boyfriend will have a job, and I'm pretty sure most places charge so much more for the dog that buying is cheaper.
Buying might be cheaper in some cases, but I don't recommend buying unless you plan on being in a house for at least 5 years.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm not too keen on the buying idea. I only plan on being there for two years or so...maybe more if we really like it. But, I don't want to jump the gun and make that kind of committment as of right now. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Also, can someone inform me on what "areas" are closest to downtown & USC (within 5 miles or so)? i.e. [SIZE=3]Cayce, Elmwood, Five Points, Forest Acres, Greystone, Harbison, Irmo, Lake Murray, Lexington, North Main, Northeast Columbia, Olympia, Rosewood, Shandon, St. Andrews, West Columbia[/SIZE]
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdv0311 View Post
Also, can someone inform me on what "areas" are closest to downtown & USC (within 5 miles or so)? i.e. [SIZE=3]Cayce, Elmwood, Five Points, Forest Acres, Greystone, Harbison, Irmo, Lake Murray, Lexington, North Main, Northeast Columbia, Olympia, Rosewood, Shandon, St. Andrews, West Columbia[/SIZE]
Thanks!
There are plenty of apartments within walking distance of USC. Most that say Five Points, USC, Downtown or the Vista will be very close to campus. St. Andrews, Dutch Square, Shandon, Melrose Heights, Earlewood Park, Elmwood Park, Olympia, Cayce, West Columbia, Cottontown and Rosewood are all within a short drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area