Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times

Advertisements

After talking to people, reading the threads and all the exciting things happening...we may actually "reconsider" our decistion from Irmo/Lex to the Northeast area....

ANY COMMENTS (good or bad) would be appreciated.....Looking at Longcreek Plantation, windemere, I have also heard that LAKE CAROLINA is just awesome.

Mind you we are comming from the NYC area....so traffic is a dream if you are only it for 25 minutes. Please tell me the goods and the bads about this area of town. WE just keep hearing that its the "NEW PLACE" to be as lex and irmo while nice..are a bit more conservative and "preachy" in nature..where the northeast is very trendy and more outgoing...

Any viewpoints would help!

Also please tell me about Lake carolina..good points and bad....we are looking for an upscale area of town....and the lake seems nice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 22,421 times
I am a realtor and have sold numerous homes in Lake Carolina... There are several VERY NICE developments in the area. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 03-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: real estate professional solicitation

Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
After talking to people, reading the threads and all the exciting things happening...we may actually "reconsider" our decistion from Irmo/Lex to the Northeast area....

ANY COMMENTS (good or bad) would be appreciated.....Looking at Longcreek Plantation, windemere, I have also heard that LAKE CAROLINA is just awesome.

Mind you we are comming from the NYC area....so traffic is a dream if you are only it for 25 minutes. Please tell me the goods and the bads about this area of town. WE just keep hearing that its the "NEW PLACE" to be as lex and irmo while nice..are a bit more conservative and "preachy" in nature..where the northeast is very trendy and more outgoing...

Any viewpoints would help!

Also please tell me about Lake carolina..good points and bad....we are looking for an upscale area of town....and the lake seems nice....
In-town would certainly be the least conservative area, but as far as suburban areas go I think you would find the Northeast area to be more to your liking. Lake Carolina is nice, most people seem to like it there. Pretty much any part of Richland County is going to be more liberal than Lexington County and you'll find people from all over.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarnell View Post
I am a realtor and have sold numerous homes in Lake Carolina... There are several VERY NICE developments in the area. I could email you current listings based upon your needs if you would like... This is the easiest way to find a local house and also look at the regime fees and such.
Oh, did you used to do new construction over there or something? When I looked you up on MLS I saw that you only have 2 closings in NE Columbia and only one of them was in Lake Carolina. Again, that was of 23 total closings MLS has given you credit for so I may be missing something. Was 2006 when you got your license?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 AM

36 posts, read 125,228 times
We enjoy living in the NE area. The new outdoor mall Sandhills is very nice, and Two Notch has the usual big box stores like Target, Pier One, etc. plus many restaurants within a short drive. Just a short ways down Two Notch is a medium sized indoor mall. The Irmo area has the big indoor mall, plus the usual suspects of surrounding stores and restaurants. As alot is centered around this one location, there is often a good deal of traffic congestion.

Blythewood/Long Creek has a bit of a more rural/suburban feel. There's a lake, several country clubs, you can even board horses. The area is very nice, but a bit out of the way for my needs. Lake Carolina is a completely planned development. It's cute in that it has a little "hometown-style" shopping area, and of course is centered around the Lake. However, Lake Carolina is made up of many little subdivisions all coming under the umbrella of LC. To me, quite a few of these are of the first home buyer style, while others are more upscale.

Coming from NYC, and desiring an upscale NE neighborhood, I would recommend you look at the Wildewood and WoodCreek Areas. I think you will be pleased with what kind of house your money will bring you in these areas. You also have the country club/lake options with both these areas, plus the ease of being near I20 for a quick zip into downtown. We have many northern transplants in my neighborhood, so this should really not be an issue. Good luck!

Last edited by Wildflower-222; 03-06-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,958,476 times
Like the post said above me. There are some upscale homes in Lake Carolina but there are a lot of starter homes. If you want an upscale neighborhood in NE thats really nice, I think WildeWood is great. It's not far from Sandhills and like the post said it's right off of I-20. Wood Creek Farms is also upscale and you don't have much traffic either

Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 PM

37 posts, read 111,844 times
If you can give a little bit about your upscale definition, I can get into a little bit more details. Some people likes big house in a subdivision, some people like big houses in a huge land. I saw some very nice big house with 3-6 acres of land in Blythewood.

I totally agree with Wildflower's comments.

If you want spent $300-400K, wildewood will be a great choice for the location. Lake Carolina is good place, but not a great place ( sorry, if this hurt someones' feeling who lives in Lake Carolina). It is because I will not choose a subdivision with both $400-800K houses and $150K houses. It is good for the $150K houses, but not the upscale houses.

If you want to spend more $400k or above, Wood Creek Farm is very private, with lots of small lakes, ponds and golf courses. When I showed those homes to one of my clients, we had great fun looking at those half of million home. The one I remember most is the $1.2 million home on the golf course.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
I once alled Lake Carolina home, and yes it is a great place to live...But i agree with all of the post...lots of starter homes mixed in with the upscale ones. Check out WoodCreek, it is a little farther out but easer to commute because of I20...The Village has great looking homes...

Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,194 times
I believe Lake Carolina is a more family oriented community, especially if you have small children. It has been voted Columbia's community of the year for 8 consecutive years. Schools are walking distance, and also a brand new YMCA. You can go to their website where you will find plenty of information and can even take a virtual tour of the community.

Last edited by LEFS; 03-09-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
RE: Lake Carolina This is great news for me. I am in the "starter" home group, although it would be my "ender" home. LOL I guess that would make me an empty nester or retiree, but I hate to label myself since I'm in no way retired. I'm just a single woman who is looking for a small home in a nice neighborhood. I notice that some houses are as low as $140,000 in Centennial (Great Southern Homes) and just the right size. However, they look as if they're piled on top of one another. To the members who have lived there (or a similar development) is this a problem when there are lots of children? I love children, but I don't want them kicking their soccer balls into my windows or my car. I just went through that with a neighbor a few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area