U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

84 posts, read 234,638 times
Default Good towns around Columbia

Hi everyone,
Can anyone suggest some nice towns around Columbia? We have no children so schools are not an issue.
Looking to retire in SC but are skeptical about areas that are too coastal because of hurricanes.

Always concerned about good medical care.

Would not like to be more than 1/2 hour away from the city if possible.
Just beginning to researching different areas now in SC besides the hurricane prone Bluffton! :

What's Columbai like as far as things to do? Looks like a fun city from my research but we'd likre to hear from people who actually live in or near to it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 PM

84 posts, read 234,638 times
So sorry! Should have researched this more carefully--just saw another post similar to mine!!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM

16 posts, read 57,077 times
Default Columbia area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
Hi everyone,
Can anyone suggest some nice towns around Columbia? We have no children so schools are not an issue.
Looking to retire in SC but are skeptical about areas that are too coastal because of hurricanes.

Just beginning to researching different areas now in SC besides the hurricane prone Bluffton! :

What's Columbai like as far as things to do? Looks like a fun city from my research but we'd likre to hear from people who actually live in or near to it.

Thanks in advance!
I live on the NE side of town. If you look into these areas, I think you would be pleased. Blythewood, Elgin and Camden. Camden is about 25 miles away. That may be too far. However, Elgin and Blythewood are good and just N of the city. The NE side of Columbia is growing and Village at Sandhills is there. Sandhills is one of the top 8 multi-use shopping centers in the world! There are also restaurants, movie theatre and my fav store, Coldwater Creek there. In the summer and fall they have outdoor concerts on the square that are free. You might also seriously like to check out Lake Carolina. This is a community of neighborhoods in all price ranges and styles. If you want patio homes, they have those. IF you want a $2 million dollar home on the lake, they have those. If you want a home with 5 bedrooms for all your kids they have those. The landscaping is beautiful and kept up beautifully. The beauty of Lake Carolina is in their Town Center. Town Center looks like a little village of shops including eye doctor, family doctor, print shop, restaurants, beauty salon, dog groomer, wine shop, ice cream parlor and on and on. Once a week in the Spring - Fall there is a farmers market at Town Center. Also, there are lots of wonderful events that are put on for the residents It is a wonderful and safe place to live. Lake Carolina has its' own security that patrols the area. I of course don't know if you are looking for land to go with your home or a rural setting. But if you are looking for a great neighborhood, then this is it. It is sort of like living in a very small town.

Things to do. Columbia has things to do. Depends on what you are looking for. They have wonderful small theatre. The Koger Center offers events like ballet, opera and other fun concerts etc. Riverbanks Zoo and botanical gardens are nice. Saluda Park is very pretty. There is a variety of things to do, but it of course depends on your interests. First Baptis Church downtown puts on a Celebration of Liberty that is fantastic - including indoor fireworks! Then at Christmas, The Columbia Christmas Pageant is presented at First Baptist Church and it is fantastic. My cousins came from Charlotte this past year to see it. They are world travellers and frequent Broadway etc. and they were blown away by the presentation. And yes, I am a member of the church and choir and a soloist there! But that is WHY I am there - because of the caliber of things that they do.
Lake Murray is nearby. You are only 2 hours from Charleston, SC and 3 hours from Myrtle beach. Downtown Columbia is very easy to get around in and the traffic here is never a big problem. (of course, people always complain about traffic wherever you are! but they have never been to Atlanta, LA or Dallas/Ft. Worth, Miami, or NY!)
If you have more specific questions, I'll be glad and try to answer them for you.
Renee Whitehead

Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
If you'd like to look at smaller towns that are cool and fairly close to Columbia I'd recommend looking at Camden and Blythewood and maybe Chapin if you'd like to be close to Lake Murray. Are you wanting to be in a small town or have you considered looking in-town? Columbia is known for its beautiful neighborhoods. I have photos of a number of Columbia's neighborhoods on my website if you'd like to take a look at the link below.

Waccamatt's page |

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM

43 posts, read 114,121 times
Hello Columbia,

I will be your new neighbor very soon, and I was wondering if y'all could help out with some suggestions. I am a Commercial Pilot that needs to be near CAE (COLUMBIA, SC) and I will be away often flying, and I have my wife and three kids, 11, 13, 14...(three are grown up and gone, lol) Anyhow, I live in a very quiet neighborhood here in Irvine, CA. and I would like to know if there is somewhere everyone recommends.

For the record, I have been to CAE three or four times on business and once to see my Son graduate from Boot Camp at Fort Jackson, I love Columbia and everyone there so it will be a blessing relocating to CAE and I am really looking forward to it...

Thank you so much

Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM

4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Welcome to Columbia, Airflores. How close, time-wise, do you want to be to the airport and what types of amenities and activities do you like to be close to? Do you prefer an old, established neighborhood or a newish subdivision?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM

113 posts, read 220,667 times
Had to pick a spot to jump in...this is a close as I could get to the area In question...curious about Florence, S.C. We, too, are looking to retirement, low cost, nice town. Want to be in good driving distance to the beach (prefer salt water, very therapeutic) but not so close we have to be concerned about hurricaines. Been there, done that. We miss the Eastern Shore of Md and points east (water) but that area is too expensive. Any thoughts? Also, what places are less rather than more mosquitoes? Would also want a ford/linc/merc car dealership for some continued employment. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM

430 posts, read 896,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsndogs View Post
Had to pick a spot to jump in...this is a close as I could get to the area In question...curious about Florence, S.C. We, too, are looking to retirement, low cost, nice town. Want to be in good driving distance to the beach (prefer salt water, very therapeutic) but not so close we have to be concerned about hurricaines. Been there, done that. We miss the Eastern Shore of Md and points east (water) but that area is too expensive. Any thoughts? Also, what places are less rather than more mosquitoes? Would also want a ford/linc/merc car dealership for some continued employment. Thanks.
Florence is a small city (or big town, depending on your perspective) of about 30,000+ in a small metro of about 100,000-150,000 (these are ballpark figures - don't know exact census numbers). It's not a particularly exciting place but they have some things going on (may want to post on the broader SC forum on this). You're about 1 to 1.5 hours from the beach (closest ones are Myrtle Beach, Litchfield Beach, and Pawley's Island, probably). Florence is known as a major regional medical center (two good sized hospitals) and health care is a large part of the local economy. I'm not sure it will fit your bill exactly, because I can't say what your exact needs/wants/tastes are and I'm not sure what other amenities I can think of. It's broader economy is more industrial/logistics (intersection of I-95 and I-20) than anything cultural or educational. You may want to look at some small towns in the Pee Dee (that's the region Florence is the hub of) like Hartsville, or even closer to the beach, like Conway near Myrtle Beach. Hartsville is pretty pleasant because the local Coker family has invested nicely in the town for a long time, with it's Sonoco headquarters (it's an international packaging/graphics company) and Coker College. Conway has Coastal Carolina University and decent downtown, and has growth associated with Myrtle.

There are plenty of other towns that may also fit your bill in other parts of the state - I would also look into towns that are 1 to 1.5 hours of Charleston and Hilton Head Island.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM

221 posts, read 640,413 times
Conway is too close to the beach to get low cost, and would be part of almost every evacuation if a Hurricane was threatining. Depending on where you're coming from Conway may be cheap compared to housing in the North East, but its one of the more expensive places in SC.

My family is from Marion, SC, which is about 20 miles or so away from Florence. It has a classic southern "downtown" area, and is about an hour from Myrtle beach. I'm sure the housing prices there would be much more reasonable compared to Conway.

Its also the home of Francis Marion University. Its a fairly small Liberal Arts school that has all sorts of recitals and concerts: Francis Marion University - Calendar: Calendar There's a reasonable amount of shopping in town(Walmart, Several Grocery Stores, gas stations, Old Fashioned Drugstore, Hardware store, and other shops downtown), and its a short drive to Florence for a decent sized Mall and national chain restaurants and stores.

My Grandmother is retired there now, and there is a fairly large retirement population. As mentioned in other posts, Churches in SC are as much a social institution as a religious one, so I'm sure you would find plenty of peers in one of the local churches.

Hartsville or Darlington are similar towns near Florence that are further inland. Harstville is on a Lake.

There are Car dealers in each of these towns, but the larger dealerships would be in Florence.

As for the Mosquitos, I'm not sure you'll find a place in SC that doesn't have many mosquitos, at least not in the low country (coastal regions). The land in these regions is relatively flat, and swampy areas are common. They called Francis Marion the Swamp Fox for a reason. Unfortunately, these areas coupled with the warm climate is a breeding ground for mosquitos. You won't really find a place that doesn't have a noticible population of insects, at least in the warmer months (April to October). Its not near as bad in the cooler months. If its a real problem for you, there are popular backyard appliances that work to reduce or eliminate these pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area