Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 9,692 times

Advertisements

From what I've read over the past day, I'm understanding that Columbia is the best city for anyone interested in higher education. That is, my wife and I are looking for a place where she will be able to attend community college and then go on to a 4-year school to complete a BA and possibly a MA. With the main campus of USC in Columbia, I'm wondering what Charleston, Greenville or Myrtle Beach have to offer in terms of schools.

As for me, I'll be looking for a teaching position at the middle school or high school levels. So, I assume that wherever I can find a teaching position will also factor into where we live. I have a masters in education and would love to work towards a doctorate, but for now our focus is on my wife's education. She is interested in international business and we've learned that USC is a good choice--this is the main reason for our interest in Columbia. However, after learning more about the cost of housing and the general nature and attitude of the Columbia people (from what we've learned through the responses of the people in this forum) we're finding more reasons to be interested in Columbia. So, any comparisons, thoughts and information about educational offerings in the different areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
USC is a great school. My daughter just graduated with a double degree in Finance and Economics. The International Business program is outstanding. It is always in the top two or so programs in the country. Not just my opinion: Google international business and South Carolina and you'll get a lot of independent sources. It is also extremely competitive to get into and to stay in. Not trying to discourage you, but I would think transferring from a community college into the IB program would be extremely difficult. You'd be better to establish residency to get in-state tuition and go to USC from the get-go.

Regarding Master's in Education, again I would think USC preferable over Clemson. I'm a die-hard Gamecock fan, but if you were into engineering or something similar, I would say Clemson. Given you're in the humanities area, I think USC is stronger. Clemson is also kind of in the middle of nowhere compared to USC being in the heart of the city.

Regarding the other cities you mentioned:

Charleston -- The College of Charleston (public)
Greenville -- Furman (private and pretty expensive)
Clemson (public) not too far from Greenville
Myrtle Beach -- Coastal Carolina

USC and Clemson are both large with passionate sports fans.
Coastal is a lot smaller and somewhat isolated from city life. Once the beach crowd goes home, there's not much to do except play golf.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globaldawg View Post
From what I've read over the past day, I'm understanding that Columbia is the best city for anyone interested in higher education. That is, my wife and I are looking for a place where she will be able to attend community college and then go on to a 4-year school to complete a BA and possibly a MA. With the main campus of USC in Columbia, I'm wondering what Charleston, Greenville or Myrtle Beach have to offer in terms of schools.

As for me, I'll be looking for a teaching position at the middle school or high school levels. So, I assume that wherever I can find a teaching position will also factor into where we live. I have a masters in education and would love to work towards a doctorate, but for now our focus is on my wife's education. She is interested in international business and we've learned that USC is a good choice--this is the main reason for our interest in Columbia. However, after learning more about the cost of housing and the general nature and attitude of the Columbia people (from what we've learned through the responses of the people in this forum) we're finding more reasons to be interested in Columbia. So, any comparisons, thoughts and information about educational offerings in the different areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
It depends on what she wants to major in really. For engineering, architecture, and other courses Clemson University can't be beat. Is there a field that she is most interested in?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I would ask about school in other cities in those cities' threads if you haven't already.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you are looking to have a major research university in the city where you live, you will only find that in Charleston or Columbia. And, between those, Columbia provides the best options. Carolina is a large comprehensive university that provides degree options in many fields from business, education to engineering or medicine. The school attracts a lot of research grants and donations which allows it to attract great professors and staff. It also provides a lot of opportunities for those seeking advanced degrees. And, as others have said, the business school is terrific and getting better (and will have a new $100m building to call home in the next few years). International business at Carolina is consistently ranked as the top program in the country. Many other graduate and undergradute degree programs are well respected nationally as well. The alumni genuinely love the school as evidenced by their financial support and athletic team following. So, you could not go wrong with Columbia.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 37,497 times
Where does this idea come from that Clemson is better in engineering than USC? Maybe 1-2 decades ago that was the case.
In the latest National Research Council rankings, USC ranks ahead of Clemson in every engineering discipline ranked, in some of them by quite a big margin.
The NRC rankings, FYI, are not based on a beauty contest like the USA Today rankings, for example, but are based on hard facts, such as research grants, publications, graduation rates, etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Where does this idea come from that Clemson is better in engineering than USC? Maybe 1-2 decades ago that was the case.
In the latest National Research Council rankings, USC ranks ahead of Clemson in every engineering discipline ranked, in some of them by quite a big margin.
The NRC rankings, FYI, are not based on a beauty contest like the USA Today rankings, for example, but are based on hard facts, such as research grants, publications, graduation rates, etc.
That's awesome! I guess old ideas are hard to shake.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Maybe it all perception, but I've always thought of Clemson's engineering programs to be superior to USC and vice versa in the business schools. It's not saying USC has a bad engineering program or Clemson has a bad business school because that isn't the case.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
For quite some time it has depended on which types of engineering as to whether USC was superior to Clemson. Don't ask me which types. Overall, though, USC has been making tremendous strides across the spectrum in engineering for the past decade.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Where does The Citadel rate in this?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area