U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM

480 posts, read 546,367 times

Advertisements

My kindergartener was accepted into the gifted student program here in Memphis, and I'm wondering about equivalent programs in SC (we may be moving there this summer). Here, it's based strictly on reading for K-grade 2. They must read two grade levels ahead, and then twice a week they go to CLUE (Creative Learning in a Unique Environment), where they do advanced reading, logic puzzles, reasoning exercises, brainstorming, group problem-solving, etc. They also go on field trips about once a month and are challenged a bit more than in their regular classroom. They're considered special needs students, so extra effort is made to ensure that they don't become bored or unchallenged in school.

So what are the criteria for academically talented and gifted public school student in Columbia? What sort of activities do they do?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 8,413,064 times
I've been out of school for quite awhile, but all of the schools I attended in the Columbia area had gifted and talented programs.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM

309 posts, read 626,565 times
I was in the Summit Program when I was in school, which was our version of the gifted and talented program. As far as I know they still have these programs, but like Waccamatt, it's been a while since I was in school.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM

89 posts, read 153,645 times
Here's a link about the Richland 2 gifted program: Richland School District Two - Excellence in Education (http://www.richland2.org/content.aspx?id=43 - broken link)

It's called ALERT (Active Learning Experiences in Resourceful Thinking), but it apparently doesn't begin until second grade.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 8,413,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlboney View Post
I was in the Summit Program when I was in school, which was our version of the gifted and talented program. As far as I know they still have these programs, but like Waccamatt, it's been a while since I was in school.
I hate admitting that fact, don't you?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 PM

309 posts, read 626,565 times
It has become somewhat depressing as time marches on waccamatt.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 PM

37 posts, read 116,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMeantime View Post
Here's a link about the Richland 2 gifted program: Richland School District Two - Excellence in Education (http://www.richland2.org/content.aspx?id=43 - broken link)

It's called ALERT (Active Learning Experiences in Resourceful Thinking), but it apparently doesn't begin until second grade.
Wow, ALERT is still around!! And, I STILL remember that acronym!

I was in Richland 2's ALERT program way back in the 80's. It started in the 2nd grade back then as well (although I didn't get in the program until 3rd grade). Until 6th grade, we left our regular classes for one day a week for the ALERT classroom.

It was quite different from "regular school". Unlike regular 3rd grade classes, we could write in MANUSCRIPT and use a PEN if we wanted! We had "free time" within the class - we were allowed to play freely on the Apple ][c computers, read, or even hang out and talk quietly.

We kept journals - we'd have to write about some topic each week and then spend time writing whatever we felt like. We'd study a new "topic" each quarter and there would be a field trip (or "field study" - as they are apparently STILL called). In 4th grade, I remember we studied "Historic Columbia" and spent a couple of days touring Downtown Columbia. Someone asked the tour guide why Robert Mills chose a type of columns (Doric, Ionic or Corinthian) for the Robert Mills House! I bet that was weird coming out of a 9 year-old's mouth.

One field study each year would be overnight, and those are the most memorable... In 4th grade, we studied animal behavior and got to spend the night at Riverbanks Zoo and go behind the scenes where the lions, tigers and monkeys were caged at night. In 5th grade, we studied geology and went to NC/TN/GA border area to "pan" and dig for rocks/gems. Most memorably, in 6th grade, we studied theater and went to NYC right after Thanksgiving and got to see Cats, 42nd St. and the Radio City Christmas show. Best of all, we got to go backstage with the Rockettes and have them speak to us all about what they do for nearly an hour! We also got a tour of Radio City Music Hall and learned all about its history! Pretty cool stuff - I didn't realize how cool it was until later!

Based on the web page, looks like the program is still as good as it was then. Top teachers too - my 3rd grade ALERT teacher back in '84-'85, Ms. Vickers, is now the principal at Hand Middle School! When I emailed her a year or so ago, she remembered me!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 AM

480 posts, read 546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibu View Post

I was in Richland 2's ALERT program way back in the 80's. It started in the 2nd grade back then as well (although I didn't get in the program until 3rd grade). Until 6th grade, we left our regular classes for one day a week for the ALERT classroom.
Thanks so much for all the great information. That helps a lot.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deibu View Post

Hi there deibu... I think you and I were in the same ALERT class. =)
I googled ALERT and came across this forum. I remember Ms. Vickers, Ms. Peters and several other teachers.

ALERT was definitely one of the most valuable educational experiences that I have ever had.

To answer the original post - there are G&T classes available prior to 2nd grade, but the ALERT program becomes available at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area