U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
 
99 posts, read 117,439 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Durham is a hotbed of racial tension. And political affiliation often has very little to do with on-the-ground issues like what's being discussed here.

"Liberal" is not just a political affiliation. It is often a way a thinking and living. By liberal, I mean inclusive, accepting, racially tolerant...etc. Which actually does have everything to do with what's being discussed here.

 
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
517 posts, read 1,026,035 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondarkwood View Post
Woodland, pretty much something like that. I and members of my family have been cold shouldered at times because of that fact. I think the worse was one time my wife sat and listened to a group of military and there spouses (we live close to Ft. Jackson) talk about how civvies did not understand their life and how because civvies do not put there life on the line we are beneath their respect.

On the other hand I had military people go out of there way to make us feel included go figure.
Hmm, as a military spouse I find it very surprising that you would have encountered anything like that. Most of the time my husband and his fellow soldiers try to refrain from discussing the Army when they are not at work. Same goes for my Marine son and his buddies.
 
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 AM
 
3,248 posts, read 3,934,622 times
Reputation: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondarkwood View Post
Woodland, pretty much something like that. I and members of my family have been cold shouldered at times because of that fact. I think the worse was one time my wife sat and listened to a group of military and there spouses (we live close to Ft. Jackson) talk about how civvies did not understand their life and how because civvies do not put there life on the line we are beneath their respect.

On the other hand I had military people go out of there way to make us feel included go figure.

It probably has a lot to do with politics....Politics and Religion are often two very taboo topics. I am not in the military but I can imagine if I were and began to talk about "The War" in mixed company.. one may feel that people will begin to weigh in on how popular/unpopular it is.. how we should or shouldnt be there..it was over oil.. there were no WMD...we are liberators.. etc etc. I can imagine for those who have family or friends over there and or have been there themselves and/or know someone who had died.. it COULD make them feel that they are complicit in whatever decision good or bad over the issue of War and the lives that are being lost somewhat discounted..

With that being said, I can see why some military folks could be somewhat guarded when around civilians particuliarly on the subject of war and politics but not necessarily being uncomfortable around civilians in general.

To stay on topic...I am amazed how development is now exiting "NE Cola "is now expanding beyond I-77 westward towards the Broad River. What will be interesting is to see is if the diversity of the the current and future developments proposed along Wilson Blvd; and eventually the northern extremities of Fairfield and Monticello Rd will follow the same pattern. The new Keenan High School is a testimate of Richland 1's interest on cashing in on the action. I am not sure what the current boundaries are for the new Keenan.. but once you get beyond Wilson Blvd.. you re enter Rich 1. Therefore any new development west would be in Rich 1 and potentially zoned for the new Keenan. Currently I think most of the undeveloped northern end of Richland County is zoned for Eau Claire.. but with a brand new High School there.. I cant imagine that that area will remain in the Eau Claire zone for long.
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
 
7 posts, read 11,973 times
Reputation: 15
I have lived in South Carolina my whole life. As a former community activist, I have been disappointed about the racial tensions of Columbia. We just moved back a year ago and it has been a new experience! My kids have been taught racism from this area. They are confused and I am embarrassed to say I have trouble explaining why people are so ignorant.
My husband and I went to a recreational facility for him to play basketball. He was the only white man, and they would not work him in. He was completely snubbed. We could have gone to a place with predominately white, but we were in the area of Longcreek and had the urge to go to the park.

I spoke to some of my students who are black. I have an open dialect with my students who discuss issues of racism. They told me that my husband was discriminated because of his color. Why can't we talk about racism? Why do people only discuss white to black racism in the south?
 
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
 
1,354 posts, read 1,173,568 times
Reputation: 22431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imma View Post
Why do people only discuss white to black racism in the south?
When you say people, who exactly are you referring to? I have not heard most of the discussions about racism in the South. In fact, I have not even heard most of the discussions about racism in Columbia, SC. Thus, I do not know the myriad forms that this discussion takes on. To be quite honest, it is difficult for me to answer your question because, in my opinion, it seems to be too presumptuous. But, that is just my opinion.
 
Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Norwood, MN
1,828 posts, read 2,232,012 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I take it you mean in the company of military personnel? Never had it happen...

I did however go to a superbowl party with a friend of mine in law enforcement.. I was the only one not in law enforcement of the dozen or so folks there. To make matters worse, they were talking shop about raids and knuckleheads' skulls that they cracked, elected officials, the chief etc and to top it all off there was half time "entertainment" coming by... When they found out I wasnt in law enforcement...the party stopped as if I was trying to sell crack at a police convention... my friend was asked on the sly several times if I was "cool" and after about another hour or so of being casually interogated (of course they would be good at this) and cold shouldered everything was ok..but I have to admit I felt odd.
From what I have read and heard, I get the idea that the large majority of law enforcement people are redneck losers.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,709,410 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
"Liberal" is not just a political affiliation. It is often a way a thinking and living. By liberal, I mean inclusive, accepting, racially tolerant...etc. Which actually does have everything to do with what's being discussed here.
Doesn't matter if you define "liberal" by political affiliation or lifestyle. The fact of the matter is that a city that was upheld as "uber-liberal" has historically been a hotbed of racial tension, so there's a contradiction.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,709,410 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imma View Post
Why do people only discuss white to black racism in the south?
Because for so long, that is what has defined life in the South (and the rest of the country). I'm not saying that what happened in your case was acceptable, but this is an answer to your question.
 
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
 
99 posts, read 117,439 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Doesn't matter if you define "liberal" by political affiliation or lifestyle. The fact of the matter is that a city that was upheld as "uber-liberal" has historically been a hotbed of racial tension, so there's a contradiction.
It's called progression. And it's only met with stagnation when *people* fail to grasp forward thinking and *choose* to hold onto historical ties that the liberal thinkers try to cut.

THAT'S the present fact of the matter.
 
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,709,410 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
It's called progression. And it's only met with stagnation when *people* fail to grasp forward thinking and *choose* to hold onto historical ties that the liberal thinkers try to cut.

THAT'S the present fact of the matter.
There was nothing remotely progressive about the Duke lacrosse rape case. And that's just for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top