U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 19,844 times
Default Best discount stores in the area? Home furnishings, clothing, etc.

Now that we're done with the big move to Sumter, I'm taking stock of our furnishings and realizing that some of them are going to HAVE to be replaced.

Where are the best places to shop for furniture in Columbia & the surrounding areas? Are there any places that might be further (distance wise) but worth the trip for the value you get?

Also, any tips on discount clothing stores? I know there's a Ross in Columbia - we used to have a fabulous $12 shoe store in VA - any cool places like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 AM

672 posts, read 907,272 times
There's a TJ Maxx in Sumter and in the Village at Sandhills in NE Columbia. There's a Sumter Freecycle group on Yahoo groups. Plus, there's Craigslist for Columbia.

There are outlets down at Myrtle Beach
http://www.tangeroutlet.com/myrtlebeach17
http://www.tangeroutlet.com/myrtlebeach501
and up near Greenville.
http://www.primeoutlets.com/locations/gaffney.aspx
I've been to the MB quite a few times but haven't been to G'ville yet

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 07-25-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,863,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaSQ View Post
Where are the best places to shop for furniture in Columbia & the surrounding areas? Are there any places that might be further (distance wise) but worth the trip for the value you get?
There is a Value City Furniture right by Columbia Place Mall off of US-1 in NE Columbia where you can get some pretty good deals on furniture.

If you're willing to drive to Charlotte, they just opened an IKEA in the spring off of I-85 north of the city.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 AM

843 posts, read 1,641,562 times
Discount Furniture in Sumter (actually on 378, between Shaw & Sumter) usually has some good prices. I picked up a new bed for my daughter yesterday and noticed they had some stuff marked down to 'closeout' prices so I also picked up a sweet coffee table. My recliner came from them 5 years ago and I noticed yesterday they also carry the couches we got from Ashley 2 years ago (probably could have saved a bundle there).

Aside from TJMaxx, Sumter also has a Rugged Wearhouse [sic]. I don't know if you're familiar with Gabriel Brothers (WV/OH/PA), but they own RW and it's the same kind of store, just much smaller: overstock, irregular (not so much these days), closeouts, etc.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
There's a TJ Maxx in Sumter and in the Village at Sandhills in NE Columbia. There's a Sumter Freecycle group on Yahoo groups. Plus, there's Craigslist for Columbia.

There are outlets down at Myrtle Beach
Tanger Outlet Centers :: Myrtle Beach - Hwy 17, SC Outlet Mall
Tanger Outlet Centers :: Myrtle Beach - Hwy 501, SC Outlet Mall
and up near Greenville.
Prime Outlets – Gaffney, Outlet Mall near Greenville, Charlotte, Gaffney | 65% Savings on Designer Brands
I've been to the MB quite a few times but haven't been to G'ville yet
I'm loving MB, although I've yet to do any actual shopping there. Now that I know the outlets are worth checking out, it's one more excuse for me to get back down there.

I joined the Sumter freecycle group last week - I'm a big fan of freecycle. Columbia craigslist, not as much - but I've been keeping my eyes open for deals anyway.

We may be going to the Greenville area in September - I'll let you know how those outlets are.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
There is a Value City Furniture right by Columbia Place Mall off of US-1 in NE Columbia where you can get some pretty good deals on furniture.

If you're willing to drive to Charlotte, they just opened an IKEA in the spring off of I-85 north of the city.
Thanks, Buckeye. Glad to know there's a Value City nearby - I got a beautiful dresser from them on clearance 4 years ago - it's one of the things that's held up to being moved repeatedly.

I'll definitely be making a drive to Charlotte for an Ikea trip at some point in the future - they have the kitchen counter tops I'm after at the lowest price. No doubt there'll be other bits & bobs there we'll "need".

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Discount Furniture in Sumter (actually on 378, between Shaw & Sumter) usually has some good prices. I picked up a new bed for my daughter yesterday and noticed they had some stuff marked down to 'closeout' prices so I also picked up a sweet coffee table. My recliner came from them 5 years ago and I noticed yesterday they also carry the couches we got from Ashley 2 years ago (probably could have saved a bundle there).

Aside from TJMaxx, Sumter also has a Rugged Wearhouse [sic]. I don't know if you're familiar with Gabriel Brothers (WV/OH/PA), but they own RW and it's the same kind of store, just much smaller: overstock, irregular (not so much these days), closeouts, etc.
Thanks Ceezer. Gotta love close out prices! I'll have to take a look in there to see if there's any deals on futon mattresses - I still have the frame, I just need to get a new mattress since the old one has bit the dust.

Never even heard of Rugged Wearhouse - but I'm googling it now.

You guys are all so helpful, thank you again!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:58 AM

4,711 posts, read 7,818,359 times
There is a GB Shoe Warehouse next to Dutch Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area